Why become a member? ×

Modifying a Squire P bass (First time modifying)

JoshL

I'm thinking of modifying squire affinity p bass with a better pick up (Wizard thumper) and at the same time changing the pick gaurd and bridge. I've go some new rotosound strings to go on it when its done. My questions would be, I'm possibly ordering the bridge from the warmouth site and also possibly the pickgaurd but will the pickgaurd from ordered from there fit on to this bass? Will I need to uprate any of the other electronics (tone and volume controls) in order for the thumpers to work properly? Also is there anywhere uk based that I could get these parts from for a simmilar or cheaper price? Lastly, as this is my first go at modifying a bass have any of you guys with more experience modifying bass got any tips for a someone having their first go at it?

You have to be careful ordering pickgaurds for Fender/Squires as a Mex one is slightly different to a US one etc. The screw holes don`t always match up and the neck fit sometimes needs a bit of adjustment with a file. Someone who has an Affinity will advise no doubt.

You can get a new bridge from Allparts, W D Music, Axesrus and CH Guitars on e bay. The first 2 are quite expensive and sell the well know brand names and the other 2 sell some un branded stuff but still look good to me but I haven`t used them. If you are fitting a Wizard, you would be as well changing the pots and wiring when you are at it.

Jez

See first if the pickups give you what you`re after. If not, then you can also change the pots on the volume & tone, and maybe the capacitor. CTS pots are what Fender use, and they`re about a fiver each, the cap prob a bit less. It`s not necessary to change these for your new pickups to work. Although new pots/cap would be an upgrade, I`m not sure as to how much difference they would make to the sound though. Just better quality parts.

I bought a Wilkinson bridge for about £15 brand new for one of my basses and it's superb! In fact, it's better than the Gotoh one I used to have! It's very similar to the standard one, but with slightly thicker plate and bigger solid brass saddles. Looks like you can get them for £11.99 off eBay at present! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-4-String-Bass-Bridge-Brass-Saddles-B56-/130571241166?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item641fc57e20

I personally like the Dimarzio Model P, best passive pickups I've ever tried. You could get a complete CTS wiring kit for £12 from axesrus.com http://www.axesrus.com/axeWiringBass.htm I think the uprated pots and caps do make a slight difference.

Pickguards for Squiers can be a pain, due to the amount of variations, but I THINK Howard The Bass Doc on here could make you one that's a perfect fit if you post him the existing one......

I've got my Affinity P bass all modded up now.
Bridge was swapped out for a high mass type by the previous owner - its stable and works well compared to the BBOT so I've left it alone.
I was going to change the pups but decided to get the axesrus CTS kit first - it really improved the sound so much that I haven't needed to swap out the pups.
I hated the original small tuners so I swapped the whole neck out for a mighty mite and put on some 70 s wilkinson tuners - looks the part and is much more stable tuning wise.
The pick guard was swapped out for a BassDoc one, I couldn't send the original first time so had to take a best guess, it was fairly close but needed a bit of work. I've now sent Howard the original and ordered another but in 3 ply Tort which will be a much better fit.
This bass has ended up as my main gigging bass despite having a 'proper' Fender in the house....not having to worry about dinging it frees you up on stage!

Thanks for the help so far guys, could anyone link me a way to contact bass doc and kiogon to try and find out roughly how much it would cost to get the pickgaurd and wiring kit? I'm trying to get this done before I go to uni and want to have something that sounds good but doesn't look good enough to be tempting to steal!
I've taken a look at the dimarzios and they are looking quite tempting so I'm going to have to try and decide between them and the wizards before I move on further.