Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a cheap backup 5er?

TRBboy

I'm possibly gonna buy a cheap backup fiver, as I don't currently have one. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions really.

It needs to be as cheap as possible, but good VFM, and play as nicely as possible for the money. I would like something passive so that I don't have to worry about batteries, at least 21 frets if possible.

I've been looking at the Peavey Millenium BXP 5, and all the reviews seem positive, but I've never tried one. Anyone had/played one?

I know I'll be unpopular for saying this, but I really don't like the Squier VM jazzes..... every one I've picked up in a shop has felt horrible to me!

I know used will be best value, but it just depends what comes up. Forgot to bid on a mint Yamaha BB (I think it was a BBN of some sort) on eBay the other day, which sold for £83 in the end! It was passive, but with the Alnico humbuckers like in the TRBs.

Any thoughts folks?

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' timestamp='1334872736' post='1622862']
I'd say keep an eye out for another used Yammy BB. Great basses and always a bargain!
[/quote]

True dat, every ball a coconut! There is another one on eBay at the moment, it's one of those brown stain ones with J pups, but it's starting at £200, which seems a bit steep (i think that's about what they were new!)

What kind of price range are you looking at?

If you're able to go to about £450ish (maybe less depending on if you can find a nice one), a G&L or MM Sub 5 will be within your budget and they're both great basses.

For really cheap basses, I'd probably be looking at Ibanez personally. The problem is that lots of cheap 5 stringers are horrible with floppy B strings with no definition.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1334873625' post='1622878']
What kind of price range are you looking at?

If you're able to go to about £450ish (maybe less depending on if you can find a nice one), a G&L or MM Sub 5 will be within your budget and they're both great basses.

For really cheap basses, I'd probably be looking at Ibanez personally. The problem is that lots of cheap 5 stringers are horrible with floppy B strings with no definition.
[/quote]

Really as little as possible tbh, I guess under £200 if possible. Agree that the Ibanez's are good value for money, but I would prefer something passive (and I never seem to like the B on their 5 string SR's, too floppy).

You've got three good basses what are you going to do with a cheap, and not at the same level, back up bass? If I was getting a backup bass I'd get one that I would alternate with my main bass.

Looking at your gear list I'd be waiting for another Sandberg 5 to come up in the FS section.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334876766' post='1622955']
You've got three good basses what are you going to do with a cheap, and not at the same level, back up bass? If I was getting a backup bass I'd get one that I would alternate with my main bass.

Looking at your gear list I'd be waiting for another Sandberg 5 to come up in the FS section.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this, in the main. I don't know how useable a cheap 5 will be, tbh as the B string is THE thing.
I certainly wouldn't buy one on spec...and would have to hear it...but then I'd do that for almost ALL 5 strings.
I think the B is that critical and potentially that iffy.. IMHO, of course.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1334872373' post='1622856']
I've been looking at the Peavey Millenium BXP 5, and all the reviews seem positive, but I've never tried one. Anyone had/played one?
[/quote]

I've had a play of the Millennium 5 and I preferred the Grind 5 (which you should be able to get for £200 second-hand, have a look on That Ebay).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334876766' post='1622955']

[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173765-ditching-four-strings-altogether/

Well this is the thing...... I quite fancy a custom spec Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5. To do this, I would need to sell two of my Sandbergs. If I sell both the 4's, I would end up with two 5's. BUT what if I miss having a 4? I've still got my RBX, but I would feel stupid if at a later date I end up gigging that and leaving the 'bergs at home! If I sold one 4 and my current 5, I thought it would be beneficial to have a backup 5. Decisions, decisions..... :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1334875893' post='1622938']
Anyone know what Stagg basses are like? They do a.passive MM copy with a solid Alder body for next to nothing.
[/quote]

NO! Bad! I once had a Stagg BC300 and have played a number of basses in their line...and hated every single one. You owe it to yourself to get something a little nicer.

Second hand OLP MM3 if you like a narrow spacing, or Bass Collection if you like a wide spacing - either of these should be under £200.

If you want to spend a bit more and a narrow spacing is to your liking, you should be able to find a G&L 2500 Tribute for around £350.