Why become a member? ×

I love my BB414

Guest MoJo

I've had a succession of BB414's, mostly black, one metallic orange and a couple of BB415's to. I've got to admit the I love the BB414. The neck pickup has the best P-bass tone. Better, in my opinion than my old MIJ Precision and my old USA Precision. The neck is a joy to play. I can't imagine being without one. I think it could be my 'signature' bass

The BB414 is an incredible piece of kit for the money, there's a couple for sale here at the moment but they get overlooked by many people maybe because the prices are so low. Anyone starting a "recommend a bass" thread would do a lot worse than pick up a used BB414/614 and spend the change on a case/set up/strings/effects/cables etc. It's versatile, great quality and those pickups...

Are they the same pickups on the 414 as the 424 ?

Love, love, love my 424X (vintage white). Nothing Fender does, sounds as good for me. There's a punch and clarity with the 424's that I have not heard from any Fender as yet, and yes, that P pickup is a beat !!. Also plays as nicely as most USA Fenders too.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1334504319' post='1616919']
Also plays as nicely as most USA Fenders too.
[/quote]

Oh, I'm really sorry about that. Did you drop it in front of a speeding bus? :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the ressurection of the thread but I'm not getting on with my BB 414x. I play the anchor thumb technique and the edge of the pickup is soooo far away from the E string. It mkaes my playing less controlled and precise.

I think I'm goingto have to sell. I thought about getting the pickups changed but the BB ones have rounded edges, nothing else would fit :(

Its a shame becasue I love the tone and the fell of the neck.

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1342087834' post='1729227']
Sorry for the ressurection of the thread but I'm not getting on with my BB 414x. I play the anchor thumb technique and the edge of the pickup is soooo far away from the E string. It mkaes my playing less controlled and precise.

I think I'm goingto have to sell. I thought about getting the pickups changed but the BB ones have rounded edges, nothing else would fit :(

Its a shame becasue I love the tone and the fell of the neck.
[/quote]

Have you tried playing behind the P pickup anchoring with the outside of the thumb rather than the center?

I'm loving my recently acquired BB425 from Telebass off here. I haven't got a bad word to say about these basses...quite the opposite. I was pleasantly shocked at just about everything about the bass - plays beautiful, low action, looks great, extremely well built, perfect intonation, and awesome tone too.

The neck profile reminds me of a few Lakland 5ers that i've past owned so that was a nice surprise also. I feel the GAS looming which often makes me think i should get a matching 424 - hmmm one needs money!!!.

On my 425 the P pick up, with the current TI flats that are on it, makes for a killer dub/reggae tone which is ultimately what this bass is being used for, very chuffed with these basses... definitely one of Yamaha's jewel in the budget crown.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1334504319' post='1616919']
Are they the same pickups on the 414 as the 424 ?

Love, love, love my 424X (vintage white). Nothing Fender does, sounds as good for me. There's a punch and clarity with the 424's that I have not heard from any Fender as yet, and yes, that P pickup is a beat !!. Also plays as nicely as most USA Fenders too.
[/quote]
Congratulation on a nice guitar, I payed a 425x in a shop at the weekend. Both myself and the shop owner loved it. Great sound and player. If I had the cash I may have bought it then and there.