Why become a member? ×

An amp / cab set up that might work for bass & keys

molan

A friend of mine is on the lookout for some sort of decent quality amp/cab (or combo) rig that might work for both bass and keys.

I wondered about a nice powered cab like a Bag End with a Sansamp for bass and maybe a simple DI for keys.

I've also heard that Roland have offered hybrid combos in the past but I know nothing about Roland gear.

In fact, I know nothing about keys either so no idea what sort of set might work :(

Any ideas or advice gratefully received.

For keys you need pretty much the full frequency range and a flat response. I'd suggest using PA cabs and unless you already have an amp then use active cabs. They are usually pretty good value for money too. The bass could then use a sansamp or similar. anything more specialized is likely to work out pretty expensive

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1334077527' post='1610605']
For keys you need pretty much the full frequency range and a flat response. I'd suggest using PA cabs and unless you already have an amp then use active cabs. They are usually pretty good value for money too. The bass could then use a sansamp or similar. anything more specialized is likely to work out pretty expensive
[/quote]

Would the keys just run straight into a powered PA cab or would it also need a small pre-amp (maybe with a DI option to feed a PA?)?

I would think that Berg AE cabs work work for both very well..and you'd need a mini desk to tweak for the keys.
You really want to steer away from cabs with a big bass bias.

Maybe... a MarkB 102 combo would do ok for keys as well..?? or at least try one. Very powerful shift from the VP controls