Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40, anyone ???

thylacine23

Just cruising the site and I jumped to the link for, classic & cool guitars, had just a quick peek at the bass section,
"just looking luv, honest", and sees the peavey t 40s, wow they look so danged nice, make a friend for my Maggy,
thats my excuse anyhows,
what they sound/ play like, anyone had experience of these, also nice price too.

I will resist, I will, I will :)

I knew it, I knew it, I want/need one , :huh: oh my, ive started GAS, no I havent ,
its ok, i can and will justify myself, for I am right in all these matters, ???????
Be quite the wife and dogs.., im thinking,...

thanks for the info, well great, cheers Mark

now to get one,?? :)

Anybody here, !!!!!!!

You'll be getting a really well made [US made] bass for not a lot of money and they sound like thunder recorded with an AKG valve mic through a 2k Bose rig. They have a HUGE sound. They also weight approximately the same as a small planet.

I've owned two of these in years long distant and have cursed the forebears of every banker who put me in the dire financial straits that forced the sales.

Great basses. Lovely things, but get a wide and well padded strap - oh, and work on your muscles.

yeah i've always really liked these, finally got chance to try one in a music shop very very cool looks and some pretty good sounds and my god people aren't kidding when they say they're heavy! a few years ago they were really cheap £250-300 but lately they've been going for some silly money, the one i tried was £600!

• 8 months later...

Seeing that not many people know what a Peavey T-40 sounds like (not even as a vague idea), I made some samples (I know, I know... they're awful ) just to give, yeah, a vague idea of the T-40's tone.

Played sh*te ;)

Here goes:

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/manico-beat.mp3"]Neck pickup[/url]

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/manico+ponte-beat.mp3"]Both pickups maxed[/url]

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/ponte-beat.mp3"]Bridge pickup[/url]

Tones are maxed for both pickups.
I have replaced the pots with new ones (I stripped the tone pots of the coil tap function, it was useless, since the "single coil" mode is really too much lower in volume and it has a "brittle" tone, and I put 500K pots instead of the 250K that were installed in the bass before).
Tone cap for the neck pickup is a .22uF now, it's better now since it doesn't "mud up" the tone as much as before.
The strings... erm... the guitar tech put some "handmade" nickel strings, and they're awful I'll definitely put some nice ones as soon as the current strings are gonna be too awful to put up with

Oh, here's how I recorded the samples:

Bass -> Behringer MIC200 in the "valve" mode (it slightly scoops the mids, but it sounds better, really, the T-40 is best amplified with some colour, it doesn't pair very well with "hi-fi" preamps, IMHO) -> Echo Indigo IO -> small Linux app that dumps all input in a file on disk, alongside a Hydrogen demo drum loop

The neck pickup sample is played, maybe, a bit too much close to the neck, it probably sounds better when playing over the bridge pickup, but I wanted to "define" its tone better.

[quote name='Boneless' post='381043' date='Jan 15 2009, 10:04 AM']Seeing that not many people know what a Peavey T-40 sounds like (not even as a vague idea), I made some samples (I know, I know... they're awful ) just to give, yeah, a vague idea of the T-40's tone.

Played sh*te ;)

Here goes:

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/manico-beat.mp3"]Neck pickup[/url]

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/manico+ponte-beat.mp3"]Both pickups maxed[/url]

[url="http://www.labibliotecadeserta.com/ponte-beat.mp3"]Bridge pickup[/url]

Tones are maxed for both pickups.
I have replaced the pots with new ones (I stripped the tone pots of the coil tap function, it was useless, since the "single coil" mode is really too much lower in volume and it has a "brittle" tone, and I put 500K pots instead of the 250K that were installed in the bass before).
Tone cap for the neck pickup is a .22uF now, it's better now since it doesn't "mud up" the tone as much as before.
The strings... erm... the guitar tech put some "handmade" nickel strings, and they're awful I'll definitely put some nice ones as soon as the current strings are gonna be too awful to put up with

Oh, here's how I recorded the samples:

Bass -> Behringer MIC200 in the "valve" mode (it slightly scoops the mids, but it sounds better, really, the T-40 is best amplified with some colour, it doesn't pair very well with "hi-fi" preamps, IMHO) -> Echo Indigo IO -> small Linux app that dumps all input in a file on disk, alongside a Hydrogen demo drum loop

The neck pickup sample is played, maybe, a bit too much close to the neck, it probably sounds better when playing over the bridge pickup, but I wanted to "define" its tone better.[/quote]

Thanks.. Sounds great to my ears and I really like your playing!

I had one 2 years ago and it was really great but very heavy as has been said earlier. I didn't mind the weight but it wasn't getting a look in for gigs because I was mainly using 5 string basses (still am) and if I needed a 4, then it'd be my Wal.. Been regretting letting the T-40 go ever since though...