Why become a member? ×

Warwick FNA 5

AngeR

Hello guys!
I've been watching your projects for a long time and now it's my turn to do some DIY stuff.

I have a Warwick FNA 5 that I bought 10 years ago but I'm not happy with it so I hardly play it. I watched some videos, read some tutorials and now I'm starting to do something with my bass.

Mods List:
1 - Neck: The shape of the neck seems like a baseball bat and it's really unconfortable. I will round the edges of the neck to make it confortable to play.

2 - Refinish: I will strip off the laquer and the paint and I will paint it with blue Dye (just like these one [url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/stock_images/nyc/full/4639_full.jpg"]http://www.sadowsky....l/4639_full.jpg[/url] )

3 - Routing for a J Bass Pickup on the neck: I will use a Seymour Duncan SJB 5

4 - Change the whole electronics: I will buy a Aguilar OBP3, change the wiring to have the possibility to split the MM pickup. The knobs will work in this way: 1st Vol, 2nd Pan, 3rd Mid, 4th Bass/Treble, 1st Mini Switch dpdt On/On/On for the Split Coil, 2nd Mini Switch dpdt On/On for the Mid Select,3rd Mini Switch dpdt On/On for Active/Passive.

5 - Find the right spot to install the straplock: the bass have too much neck dive!!!

Before:

Without Hardware:

Routing Planning and Switches:

Edited by AngeR

Neck: Liposuction concluded!!!

Neck profile (before)

Neck profile (after)

The neck it's really much better now! It feels so confortable. I was surprised with the results!

Any comment, idea, opinion or suggestion would be great!

I've been reading some info about Aguilar, John East and other preamps. The thing is that the Aguilar OBP3 has always maximum rating on reviews and the price is lower than the U-Retro 01 Deluxe. I have also found some good reviews about Glockenklang and ACG preamps. At this point, I don't really know wich I'm going to choose... LOL I prefer a preamp that is simple to dial a nice sound, almost plug-and-play.

Any thoughts for the straplock position? In the first pic it's visible were I've tried it but no good results.

Thanks for the inputs!

[quote name='AngeR' timestamp='1334053973' post='1610075']
Any thoughts for the straplock position? In the first pic it's visible were I've tried it but no good results.
[/quote]

If I were you, I'd put the strap buttons back to their original position and replace the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites, that might go a long way to prevent the neck dive issue.

Eude

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334054560' post='1610097']
Great job on the neck! I would never dare to do that by my own hands. Always wondered what a slim neck on a Warwick would feel like.
[/quote]

Just great!!! eheh
The nicest thing is that you have the neck the way you like it! I dare you to do the same. Trust me, it's not that hard!

[quote name='AngeR' timestamp='1334056833' post='1610159']

Just great!!! eheh
The nicest thing is that you have the neck the way you like it! I dare you to do the same. Trust me, it's not that hard!
[/quote]

Trust me, I would destroy the neck if I had a crack at it! At least with a bolt-on neck you can buy another one if it went pear shaped, but I wouldn't attempt to do a thru neck. I would never forgive myself if I did a crap job

[quote name='AngeR' timestamp='1334053973' post='1610075']
I've been reading some info about Aguilar, John East and other preamps. The thing is that the Aguilar OBP3 has always maximum rating on reviews and the price is lower than the U-Retro 01 Deluxe. I have also found some good reviews about Glockenklang and ACG preamps. At this point, I don't really know wich I'm going to choose... LOL I prefer a preamp that is simple to dial a nice sound, almost plug-and-play.

Thanks for the inputs!
[/quote]
the glock is quite nice if your bass is nice and deep sounding- kinda fender resonance type sound. not so good on my all maple streamer.

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1334186041' post='1612441']
Yep , some good choices , it depends on what one wants , & personal tastes right . Yes charic , ACG s seem kind of complicated , but once one s used to it , it must be a blast
[/quote]

Definitely, although it's much easier to work out what sound with a recording than through a cab I've found :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334562440' post='1617479']
Definitely, although it's much easier to work out what sound with a recording than through a cab I've found :)
[/quote]

Yes sir , or in a recorded gig , which i haven t done in years , got other things to do now , but will get back on track in a couple of months

• 2 weeks later...