Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB750 vs DB751

ashevans09

There is a difference and it isn't power issues either.

I think the DB750 is the slightly more desirable but they also amaended some things on the 751 which were considered a good thing.

Will have to check out TB to see what they were as they escape me atm.

IIRC, voltage was one issue as most originated from the States as opposed to being imported by a distributor so you could get ones running 110V..and therefore needling
a transformer box. and I don't think Aguilar had switched voltage options on them...as they weren't a exported model.

If you get a fully modded 240v model 750, then that is the big problem sorted and there are a few about.
I think Aguilar also altered the tone stage and people tended to prefer the 750..???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333974611' post='1608932']
There is a difference and it isn't power issues either.

I think the DB750 is the slightly more desirable but they also amaended some things on the 751 which were considered a good thing.

Will have to check out TB to see what they were as they escape me atm.

IIRC, voltage was one issue as most originated from the States as opposed to being imported by a distributor so you could get ones running 110V..and therefore needling
a transformer box. and I don't think Aguilar had switched voltage options on them...as they weren't a exported model.

If you get a fully modded 240v model 750, then that is the big problem sorted and there are a few about.
I think Aguilar also altered the tone stage and people tended to prefer the 750..???
[/quote]

Fair enough, thanks for the information :) . I've heard the 750 can be slightly noisy? Any truth to that?

• 5 weeks later...

the fan is loud on the db750 but i don´t care. i play it in a loud rockband and not at home for practise-reasons.

the eq on the 751 might be a little bit more versatile but i miss nothing in the sound of my 750 so there is no desire for a more versatile eq for me.

i´ll keep my 750.

The fans on the 751 are quieter..Aguilar removed the valve from the gain stage in an effort to reduce noise. The mid was revoiced at 800Hz on the 751 over 400Hz on the 750. Boards inside we're redesigned to assist in servicing. I now have a 751 and used a 750 for years, 751 is a little cleaner to my ears in isolation.. but when the bands in and playing at full tilt you wouldn't know the difference between the two. Fantastic amplifiers!!

Oh and so far my 751 hasn't displayed the scratchy pots that my 750 was prone too..

Edited by BossHog

[quote name='BossHog' timestamp='1337016621' post='1654093']
The fans on the 751 are quieter.
[/quote]

Have to say I hope so - the one I tried today was really loud! That said I don't think it's much of an issue - not going to make a difference at a gig.

I Tried one through an aguilar DB410 and an eden D series 210 and it sounded really good, though quite polite. I think it excelled when the gain was low and the master was giving most of the volume. Also found it was quite an unforgiving amp in terms of really showing up any mistakes. Probably a good thing though!

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1337101839' post='1655527']
..................... Also found it was quite an unforgiving amp in terms of really showing up any mistakes. Probably a good thing though!
[/quote]

in theory, yes... but you need to be clean from the start.
It is the type of thing where people say they want it..but then sell the cab on and go back to 'vintage'

I remember when the 751 first came out there was a general view over on TB that the 750 was marginally better sounding but I think it's a very small difference.

I had a 750 and loved it but it was a little too heavy for me in the end.

With hindsight (always a wonderful thing) I should maybe have kept the 750 for gigging and bought a TH500 for rehearsal and home use :(