Why become a member? ×

Fireball

Jase

Ello,

I've recently got involved with a Purple covers band...early days yet, one of the tracks we're looking at is Fireball, am I right in thinking that the solo is actually distorted bass? ( hope so :) ) been a bit of a Purple fan over the years but never paid any attention to it at all. Can anybody confirm this?

Cheers
Jase.

[quote name='Jase' post='176179' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:31 PM']I've recently got involved with a Purple covers band[/quote]
You lucky sod.

[quote name='Jase' post='176179' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:31 PM']am I right in thinking that the solo is actually distorted bass? ( hope so :huh: )[/quote]
I believe so. You lucky sod.

Let me know if you break any limbs and need a stand-in... :) It's only a few hours in the car.

John.

Edited by johnnylager

Hi Jase,

[quote name='Jase' post='176179' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:31 PM']am I right in thinking that the solo is actually distorted bass? ( hope so :) ) been a bit of a Purple fan over the years but never paid any attention to it at all. Can anybody confirm this?[/quote]

I'm almost sure it's Hammond organ + ring modulator....

yay! purple! - we do a few of their tracks and they're pretty good to play - old Glover used to chuck some nice little bits in from time to time - next one we're learning is Burn but i think i may have to insist on the Mr Big version complete with bass solo!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bXl5AwX8Q&search=billy%20sheehan"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bXl5AwX8Q...billy%20sheehan[/url]

peace

c

Lfalex....I met up with them last week and when Fireball was suggested, his only concern was the intro :)

I don't reckon I could pull the Billy version off Clive ;)........ Although I know a man who could ;)

This has to go in quotes of the week: From Bilbo: "Even I would sell my jazz soul for that gig!

'There once was a woman, a strange kinda woman......" :huh:

I too would sell my soul for that gig. Burn and Stormbringer off the Made in Europe album are two of the best rock songs and performances of all time.

We used to do Child in Time and Highway Star but the singer couldn't hit the high notes and the Keyboard player always fluffed the keyboard breaks in Highway Star. Smoke on the water was always a reliable old crowd pleaser though.

A deep Purple tribute would be my number 1 gig.

I think getting a singer would be the difficult part, especially the Purple Mk 3 lineup and who would do those Glenn Hughes parts.

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='176537' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:33 PM']I too would sell my soul for that gig. Burn and Stormbringer off the Made in Europe album are two of the best rock songs and performances of all time.

We used to do Child in Time and Highway Star but the singer couldn't hit the high notes and the Keyboard player always fluffed the keyboard breaks in Highway Star. Smoke on the water was always a reliable old crowd pleaser though.

A deep Purple tribute would be my number 1 gig.

I think getting a singer would be the difficult part, especially the Purple Mk 3 lineup and who would do those Glenn Hughes parts.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying some of the tracks out with them, I don't think it's going to be 100% true to Purple, for a start there's no way I could do a Glenn Hughes :) Backing vocals will come from the guitar player....mind you Glenn Hughes is hardly a backing vocalist! I think the plan is to cover as many line ups as possible minus the flares and freaky shirts :huh:

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='176727' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:41 PM']But that's the best part of doing a Purple Tribute :) :huh:[/quote]

Noooo, not wigs and flares....platform boots maybe ;) I think the plan is to cover material from different eras, I don't really fancy the whole image thing.....to do covers as close as possible interests me more. I just had a quick google, seems to be a few Purple bands out there.

Don't forget there are some good tunes from the reunion era and after as well - Perfect Strangers is a good one from the 80's. If you have a really good guitarist you might want to have a crack at some of the Steve Morse era stuff too, but no one in the audience will know it!

[quote name='KevB' post='177013' date='Apr 15 2008, 01:20 PM']Don't forget there are some good tunes from the reunion era and after as well - Perfect Strangers is a good one from the 80's. If you have a really good guitarist you might want to have a crack at some of the Steve Morse era stuff too, but no one in the audience will know it![/quote]

Perfect Strangers is a great album, I was lucky enough to get tickets at the reunion in Knebworth in 85, I feel really old now :) Weird thing is all I can remember is Meatloaf with his broken leg, the mud, Mamas Boys (anyone remember them!) Scorpions and the fact that Blackmore's guitar sound blew me away, oh, and the laser effects. UFO rings a bell too.

[quote name='Jase' post='177047' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:11 PM']Perfect Strangers is a great album, I was lucky enough to get tickets at the reunion in Knebworth in 85, I feel really old now :huh: Weird thing is all I can remember is Meatloaf with his broken leg, the mud, Mamas Boys (anyone remember them!) Scorpions and the fact that Blackmore's guitar sound blew me away, oh, and the laser effects. UFO rings a bell too.[/quote]
Blackfoot & Mountain. Hmmm, Blackfoot tribute band, hmmm... :)

[quote name='FJ1200' post='177082' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:56 PM'][i][b]Gotta [/b][/i]do the flares and freakey shirts, man!! :) :huh: ;) [u][/u][/quote]

(<hijack>
Saw DP at the Return of the Knebworth Fayre in the 80's - what a gig that was! Slept in my mate's lime-green Marina and froze. Ian Gillan sitting on the stage saying "I know each of you buggers by name..", refered to the new album as "Perfect Street Rangers" - Started off with Highway Star with the DP logo spinning at the back in lasers... ahh - happy days! Also in attendance - The Scorpions, Meatloaf (with broken arm/leg), Blackfoot (what happened to them?), and loadsa great bands. I'll be forced to dig out the photos now...
Radio 1 played the full concert a few weeks later - I have it on tape somewhere.
</hijack>)

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='johnnylager' post='177085' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:58 PM']Blackfoot & Mountain. Hmmm, Blackfoot tribute band, hmmm... :)[/quote]

[url="http://www.blackfootrocks.com"]http://www.blackfootrocks.com[/url] - they're back!

Do you remember the bloke that climbed onto the roof of the stage to wave a flag? What about the hints being given out months before on the Friday Rock Show (R1) that Purple were re-forming and then finally the announcement? I think Gillan was doing the show himself that night - used to stand in sometimes. Has his own rock show now.

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='FJ1200' post='177092' date='Apr 15 2008, 03:04 PM'](<hijack>
Saw DP at the Return of the Knebworth Fayre in the 80's - what a gig that was! Slept in my mate's lime-green Marina and froze. Ian Gillan sitting on the stage saying "I know each of you buggers by name..", refered to the new album as "Perfect Street Rangers" - Started off with Highway Star with the DP logo spinning at the back in lasers... ahh - happy days! Also in attendance - The Scorpions, Meatloaf (with broken arm/leg), Blackfoot (what happened to them?), and loadsa great bands. I'll be forced to dig out the photos now...
Radio 1 played the full concert a few weeks later - I have it on tape somewhere.
</hijack>)[/quote]

[quote name='FJ1200' post='177096' date='Apr 15 2008, 03:07 PM'][url="http://www.blackfootrocks.com"]http://www.blackfootrocks.com[/url] - they're back!

Do you remember the bloke that climbed onto the roof of the stage to wave a flag? What about the hints being given out months before on the Friday Rock Show (R1) that Purple were re-forming and then finally the announcement? I think Gillan was doing the show himself that night - used to stand in sometimes. Has his own rock show now.[/quote]

Yes, it's all coming back now.....Gillan saying he knew each of us buggers by name..haha. Lesley West with Mountain...I think????? You HAVE to get those pics up...I too had a tape many moons ago, isn't it available on cd now, not sure??? I have very hazy memories of the guy with the flag :)

[quote name='Jase' post='177131' date='Apr 15 2008, 04:06 PM']Yes, it's all coming back now.....Gillan saying he knew each of us buggers by name..haha. Lesley West with Mountain...I think????? You HAVE to get those pics up...I too had a tape many moons ago, isn't it available on cd now, not sure??? I have very hazy memories of the guy with the flag :)[/quote]

Wants to be on DVD! Mega bash it were! All them yung'uns have missed out....!