Why become a member? ×

Working Players: Anyone play for stage musicals?

dc2009

So my ma took me along to see my first West end stage show this eve, Blood Brothers at the Phoenix theatre, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Anyhow, it was only three songs in that I realised that it wasn't just a CD track playing the backing music! I was highly impressed by the musos throughout the show, and it seemed like mightily fun stuff to play.

On that note, I basically wondered if anyone on here has played or plays for similar sorts of productions, and what their general opinion of that type of employment is like, as well as any particularly great (or terrible) memories from such an environment.

Dan

I've done a bunch of shows on both electric and/or upright. I find them really good fun.You get to work
with some really good musicians and read charts too..it's great. It's a totally different gig from playing
with a band because not only are you reading,but you have to follow the conductor/MD and make the music
groove...sometimes you may be on click too. I find it a very satisfying situation to be in.

At the Potters Leisure resort they have a fantastic band which basically plays all of the music for all the stage productions whether it be musicals, popular music or 50's and 60's stuff. Exceptionally enjoyable to watch and I'm sure it is too play as well. Never had the chance to meet the bass player though who is always exceptional :3 wonder if he's on here? :P

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333588707' post='1604029']
I've done a bunch of shows on both electric and/or upright. I find them really good fun.You get to work
with some really good musicians and read charts too..it's great. It's a totally different gig from playing
with a band because not only are you reading,but you have to follow the conductor/MD and make the music
groove...sometimes you may be on click too. I find it a very satisfying situation to be in.
[/quote]

It seemed to be that kind of case from the very limited view I had.

I should also add that the trumpet and sax were on one side of the stage, and the other members of the band (of which there had to be keys, bass, drums and at least one guitar) were on the other. I'm not entirely sure what view they would have had of each other so perhaps there were clicks employed. The playing was absolutely top notch, and the guitar tone was about as good as I've ever heard on some of the solo parts.

So how does it work Doddy? I mean I was under the impression that what with understudies and all, an actor/actress won't necessarily do all of the ridiculous number of shows scheduled to be performed, is it the same case with the musos?

I've done few shows over the years and I'd agree with Doddy that the musicians were great and the challenge of reading and following the MD is great but I did get a bit bored after a few weeks . Being a dep is great for me but I don't know if I'd take a show full time. I know a few west end guys that have done it for years and are far more interested in moaning about money and getting to the pub than playing music, but then again it's one of the few well paid jobs for a musician

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1333589724' post='1604033']

So how does it work Doddy? I mean I was under the impression that what with understudies and all, an actor/actress won't necessarily do all of the ridiculous number of shows scheduled to be performed, is it the same case with the musos?
[/quote]
It depends how long the run is and what the production is. I know that West End guys can dep out around half of the
performances (correct me if I'm wrong),whereas the musicians for shorter runs or tours generally do most or all of
the run.Some MD's don't like having deps in,but most are cool with it as long as your dep can cut it.

Edited by Doddy

I have done plenty over the years - From the West End to Tokyo and in between.
A lot of the time you could just be using headphones and no amp,
playing to clicks [from a couple a show to nearly the whole show]
Plenty of sight reading, but you can get a good run of rehearsals before preview night.
Like Doddy says, depping is down to the MD and fixers views on this. But it is usually ok and you would have a small pool of deps [MD/fixer approved]
Money is good and depending on the length of run will include holiday pay every 13 weeks.
Bigger shows have spin off's, like cast album CD's and DVD's to record [more money]
So in short if you are a full time player they are great gigs money wise.
You need to be all ears & eyes, and have good discipline and concentration levels.
It can become a bit of a bore, so its good to dep out for other gigs when you get the chance [and most do]

Garry

Hardly West End, but I've done a couple of professional pantomimes, which I thoroughly enjoyed! It was a steep learning curve for me, and it was good to be out of my comfort zone and I really got a lot out of it. We would have one week of rehearsals, and then straight into the seven week run, two shows a day, six days a week (plus we had Christmas day and Nee Years day off). It did get a bit boring around the middle of the run, but was great fun most of the time.

Because I don't really read, i would write out the bars and chord changes on manuscript paper, and then just write in the notes for any specific runs, etc.

Of course, being Panto, we had all sorts of sound effects in the pit too; I was on swanny whistle duties too!

I used to play shows on drums and percussion. You *have* to be able to sight read to a good standard. You might get one run through if you're lucky! You have to stay awake too and watch for cues (well the leader does - you know what I mean)

I really enjoyed it. I think it's probably tricky to get into. I was involved in theatre anyway and stumbled in that way.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1333609448' post='1604058']
I have done plenty over the years - From the West End to Tokyo and in between.
A lot of the time you could just be using headphones and no amp,
playing to clicks [from a couple a show to nearly the whole show]
Plenty of sight reading, but you can get a good run of rehearsals before preview night.
Like Doddy says, depping is down to the MD and fixers views on this. But it is usually ok and you would have a small pool of deps [MD/fixer approved]
Money is good and depending on the length of run will include holiday pay every 13 weeks.
Bigger shows have spin off's, like cast album CD's and DVD's to record [more money]
So in short if you are a full time player they are great gigs money wise.
You need to be all ears & eyes, and have good discipline and concentration levels.
It can become a bit of a bore, so its good to dep out for other gigs when you get the chance [and most do]

Garry
[/quote]

Sounds like good fun if you ask me! :)

Saw Rock Of Ages when it opened at Shaftesbury Theatre last year. That looks like a good gig as the band (a 5piece rock outfit) are actually on stage for the entirety of the show with the drummer in a glass fronted room at the back of the stage so they can fade songs in and out. The set is a bar with the band on stage. Brilliant show with tons of quality blart too.

One of my college tutors does rock of ages. I did a week at Birmingham old rep theatre a couple of years ago and loved it. I had a week of rehearsals with the cast, then a week of the show. The hardest thing was concentrating and not missing cues, you may have 30 odd bars of not playing, there were tv monitors on each side of the pit showing the on stage activity, it was very easy to start watching that instead of the MD.