Why become a member? ×

another cheap overdrive pedal

mcnach

I just received one of these pedals, a Joyo Ultimate Drive, for £30 and a few pennies delivered, ordered through Amazon, 2 day delivery.

It appears to be the same as some model branded as Harley Benton by Thomann, and it's supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD.

I bought it because for the £££ and the reviews it got on TB it seemed pretty decent, and I like what the OCD does to guitar and bass.

Anybody has tried one of these? Mine is still in the box and I will not be able to test it until tonight.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Guitar-Effects-OverDrive-Distortion/dp/B005J5D38W"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Guitar-Effects-OverDrive-Distortion/dp/B005J5D38W[/url]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1333533569' post='1602909']
I just received one of these pedals, a Joyo Ultimate Drive, for £30 and a few pennies delivered, ordered through Amazon, 2 day delivery.

It appears to be the same as some model branded as Harley Benton by Thomann, and it's supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD.

I bought it because for the £££ and the reviews it got on TB it seemed pretty decent, and I like what the OCD does to guitar and bass.

Anybody has tried one of these? Mine is still in the box and I will not be able to test it until tonight.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Guitar-Effects-OverDrive-Distortion/dp/B005J5D38W"]http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B005J5D38W[/url]
[/quote]

They've been getting a lot of love on guitar forums. Not heard anything about how they sound on bass. The tube screamer clone is meant to be awesome.

well, I tried it last night at home only.

It's not bad at all. Not my favourite, but not bad at all. I think that for bass its strength is the very low gain and mid gain sounds.
I put it with an LS-2 so that i could blend in undistorted bass, and then things get a whole lot nicer and creamier.

I'm actually thinking it may substitute my Xotic BB bass pedal for low gain sounds.

I also tried it on guitar, with a strat. Now that's very nice. Again, low gain sounds are best.
It responds well to dynamics. You can play rather cleanly, and get the overdrive kick in when you dig in harder with the plectrum. Chords ring nicely, and power chord riffage works nicely.
On that basis, I'm keeping the pedal, since I know that at least for guitar I will find it useful.
I find it quite nice for bass too, just not entirely sure it would improve my current set up at the moment.
I will probably mount it together with the VT-Bass and a spare tuner into a small pedalboard that I have, so that I have a small board for when I don't need tons of effects and I can use it for both guitar and bass.

Very nice for £30.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1334098575' post='1611041']
I've recently got one for my guitar board. Home use only so far but first impressions have been good, and a steal at the price. Also picked up the Joyo delay pedal, that's a great sounding piece of budget kit too.
[/quote]

I'm liking it more and more for bass too. Low gain but "gritty" overdrive sounds pretty good. I still have not taken it out of the house, 'though. I need to try it at least in rehearsal to see how it behaves in the mix at volume.

Joyo also has a tuner out that looks a lot like teh Korg Pitchblack, which I have and like a lot... for £30. If it's anything like the Pitchblack that's a great price.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1333624866' post='1604404']
I put it with an LS-2 so that i could blend in undistorted bass, and then things get a whole lot nicer and creamier.
[/quote]

by far the best way to use it imho.

very good for guitar - it's a lovely, low-gain sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1334135755' post='1611259']
Joyo also has a tuner out that looks a lot like teh Korg Pitchblack, which I have and like a lot... for £30. If it's anything like the Pitchblack that's a great price.
[/quote]

On my shopping list that one, I've heard decent feedback on other forums about it and I need something to stop me shuffling my TU-2 back and forth between my guitar and bass boards! All the Joyo stuff I've heard has been great, could quite happily build a board out of just that!

im likeing the look of this pedal, theres a youtube vid of it played on bass that sounds pretty decent, is there a demo of it on bass with a clean blend anywhere? Im also having trouble tracking one of these down from a uk site, most places seam to be out of stock, any suggestions on where to get one from?

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1334273413' post='1613809']
im likeing the look of this pedal, theres a youtube vid of it played on bass that sounds pretty decent, is there a demo of it on bass with a clean blend anywhere? Im also having trouble tracking one of these down from a uk site, most places seam to be out of stock, any suggestions on where to get one from?
[/quote]

I got mine from... Amazon.co.uk
It took 3 days to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

also check out their us dream - I got the chance to use mine with me band last night, right good. more 'metal' than the ultimate drive, sounds killer. I'm staggered by the quality of both for the money. has anyone had a go at the flanger?

[quote name='Pob' timestamp='1335469261' post='1631807']
also check out their us dream - I got the chance to use mine with me band last night, right good. more 'metal' than the ultimate drive, sounds killer. I'm staggered by the quality of both for the money. has anyone had a go at the flanger?
[/quote]

How is this for high gain stuff? I'm after something for my higher gain sounds (To compliment my BDI-21 and JH-1) and this looks like it would be pretty good.

Edit: Actually, the JF-12 Fuzz/Octave is sounding lovely to my ears at the moment, anyone got any experience of these?

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Hate to be a party pooper; but I was not impressed with their compressor. It was pretty lame and it sucked tone. Also the footswitch broke within 2 hrs. To be fair you couldn't expect much more for that price; but it was £28 I woulda rather put towards something useable. As a budget starter compressor it would've been ok

• 3 weeks later...

Well, some time later, I have to say that I'm really liking this pedal. A lot. Low gain, with the tone towards the bassy side and a Jazz bass on the bridge pickup... yum. Very creamy and thick tone that does not sound noticeably distorted in the mix. Love it.
I'm thinking about buying another for my second board!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1335905027' post='1637949']
Hate to be a party pooper; but I was not impressed with their compressor. It was pretty lame and it sucked tone. Also the footswitch broke within 2 hrs. To be fair you couldn't expect much more for that price; but it was £28 I woulda rather put towards something useable. As a budget starter compressor it would've been ok
[/quote]

i disagree with that. their compressor is working perfectly with 4 string basses and it's a mxr dynacomp style pedal plus an attack knob that can make the pedal very flexible. plus the pedal does not color your sound. i use it and have trusted it for live situation multiple times and it is very sturdy.

Edited by stelios82k