Why become a member? ×

I NEED power supply help!

Mattbass97

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What power supply will be able to power all these pedals? Bear in mind the pitchblack alone needs 600ma but it can then power another maximum of about 4 pedals. And the bass blogger is different because it isn't ground positive? I'm not sure on that one but recommend me a power supply that will handle all these and room for more! Thanks![/font][/color]

[attachment=104041:Bass pedalboard.jpg]

The Bass Blogger needs to have an isolated supply to work correctly.
Everything else looks like it should work fine with a Diago Powerstation.

If you can find one in England, a Diago Isolator Adaptor should work with the Blogger
if you want to keep it all on one daisy chain.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1333454779' post='1601858']
The Bass Blogger needs to have an isolated supply to work correctly.
Everything else looks like it should work fine with a Diago Powerstation.

If you can find one in England, a Diago Isolator Adaptor should work with the Blogger
if you want to keep it all on one daisy chain.
[/quote]

thanks

Edited by Mattbass97

You also might need to rethink the OC-2 if it is an older Japanese pedal. They much prefer being daisy chained from another Boss pedal (like the TU-2 or LS-2) due to it needing the older ACA power supply.
I don't know if the Pitch Black would work in the same way?!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1333457402' post='1601933']
You also might need to rethink the OC-2 if it is an older Japanese pedal. They much prefer being daisy chained from another Boss pedal (like the TU-2 or LS-2) due to it needing the older ACA power supply.
I don't know if the Pitch Black would work in the same way?!

Si
[/quote]

I never experienced this with my Jap OC-2 (I had a Jap one, and one form the very last run and they both performed and were powered identically).

Perhaps it varies from pedal to pedal?!
I know Boss generally suggests it, I've also known a few pedals LEDS to not work on a standard PSA, whilst being fine daisy-chained off a TU-2 etc
They are quirky, so it doesn't surprise me if there's inconsistencies in the flaws lol

Si

We have a very similar board (same wah pedal, Pitchblack, Bassballs and Small Stone... and I also have an OC-2, although mine is a more modern version).

The Pitchblack does not require 600mA.
The output of the Pitchblack is just a daisy-chain, so if you use a higher current power supply you can power more pedals from it. It is just handy when it comes to running cables, if you can daisy chain some pedals, to run cables from a pedal rather than the central power supply... makes cabling a bit simpler sometimes.

My Pitchblack is chained to the Dunlop wah and an Ibanez overdrive, from one output of the T-Rex Fuel Tank junior. Each output can provide up to 120mA... which does not sound like much, but pedals like the Small Stone and many others draw very little current. The Ibanez overdrive specs state 17mA, and the Darkglass B3K I just sold was 15mA I seem to recall. So some pedals can be daisy chained no problem from those outputs. Some others needed its own. I used briefly a Line6 digital delay, and it needed its own output. Same with a Digitech SynthWah pedal.

At the mement I have the Pitchblack, and two Boss LS-2, which have daisy-chain outputs, and I use them with various pedals such that I have a spare output in the end.

What I'm saying is: your current requirements may be lower than you think.
It's not always easy to find, but look up the specs of all your pedals and you might be surprised.

Edit: and I am not saying you need a T-Rex Fuel Tank, that's just what i ended up with and like very much. But I also have a supply I got from "JohnnyShredFreak" for about £14 if I recall correctly, which has powered many pedals in a single daisy chain without a problem too. That one is my back up.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1333483724' post='1602466']
We have a very similar board (same wah pedal, Pitchblack, Bassballs and Small Stone... and I also have an OC-2, although mine is a more modern version).

The Pitchblack does not require 600mA.
The output of the Pitchblack is just a daisy-chain, so if you use a higher current power supply you can power more pedals from it. It is just handy when it comes to running cables, if you can daisy chain some pedals, to run cables from a pedal rather than the central power supply... makes cabling a bit simpler sometimes.

My Pitchblack is chained to the Dunlop wah and an Ibanez overdrive, from one output of the T-Rex Fuel Tank junior. Each output can provide up to 120mA... which does not sound like much, but pedals like the Small Stone and many others draw very little current. The Ibanez overdrive specs state 17mA, and the Darkglass B3K I just sold was 15mA I seem to recall. So some pedals can be daisy chained no problem from those outputs. Some others needed its own. I used briefly a Line6 digital delay, and it needed its own output. Same with a Digitech SynthWah pedal.

At the mement I have the Pitchblack, and two Boss LS-2, which have daisy-chain outputs, and I use them with various pedals such that I have a spare output in the end.

What I'm saying is: your current requirements may be lower than you think.
It's not always easy to find, but look up the specs of all your pedals and you might be surprised.

Edit: and I am not saying you need a T-Rex Fuel Tank, that's just what i ended up with and like very much. But I also have a supply I got from "JohnnyShredFreak" for about £14 if I recall correctly, which has powered many pedals in a single daisy chain without a problem too. That one is my back up.
[/quote]

Would this do the job for my pedals excluding the blogger? http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/pid9393/cid591/powerbank-dc9x-10-way-fx-pedal-power-supply.asp#page-1 its cheap I know but my money is focused on getting a new amp and this is just popped up as a problem because my bf-3 eats a battery in one practice it's insane so i want to power it but I'd rather be able to power a few more instead of just using one power supply for one pedal might aswell go a but further! So back to what i was saying would that supply do me for now?

Quite possibly.
I haven't checked the current draw from each of your pedals, but the BF-3 draws 40mA, and the pedals you and I share draw less than that each.
Each output can go up to 100mA in that power supply... so it's looking good.
Check the draw from the pedals to be sure.

The ODB-3 draws 15mA.
The OC-2 only 4mA...
Small Stone less than 20mA.
Bassballs 3mA
105Q wah 4mA

As you can see, you could even use a much smaller supply.
I don't have experience of the one you show in that link, but it does look on paper like it would be able to run all your pedals and then some.
You could even make or buy a cable to change the polarity and use one of the outputs with your Blogger (if I understood correctly, it's reverse polarity compared to the others, right? With a positive centre).

Edited by mcnach

If you can find a Johnny Shredfreak that's my wholehearted suggestion. They're basically Diago Powerstations (I read somewhere that they actually are the Diagos just without the badge, but that's not confirmed) but they cost £12 new. Unfortunately the Johnny Shredfreak site has an intermittent supply of them, you could try eBay or the classifieds here. The shredfreak puts out 1.5A with no problems at all, it will go to 3A but you're liable to get hum. The pitchblack doesn't draw 600mA, my DD-20 is basically a mini-computer with an LCD display and that only draws 200mA. 1.5A will power 50 average pedals easily.