Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR300 - a budget bass? Fooled me.

ShergoldSnickers

Fumps popped over from Leeds on Saturday to buy an Eden Nemesis NC 115 combo from me, surplus to requirements at the mo'. He brought along a pearl white Ibanez SR300 similar to this one:

I knew nothing at all about these basses, so approached it with an open mind and came away very impressed. Excellent thin neck, great playability, and it sounded good as well. It just goes to show how far things have come on in the budget ranges, really squeezing the mid-point guitars above them in terms of playability, sound and finish. The photo above doesn't do the finish justice, it was a subtle pearl that suited the bass really well. A little gem that I'd be more than happy to use live if I didn't have my main bass with me. Well, apart from being a fretted bass but we'll ignore that. :lol:

Frustratingly good basses.

I say frustrating because I'd like to buy something else just because I can, but every time I come back home, after trying a bass in a shop. and play my SR300 I just start thinking, why bother? The damned thing just feels completely right for me and I'm always getting people say how good it sounds. Gggrrrrrr :)... and anytime I've turned up to have a practice or jam with new people they always say "that's a very nice looking bass" and they're always surprised at how little it costs. There I've just talked myself out of buying a different bass again :)

Well...I could always upgrade ;)
say [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR400QM"]this[/url]

or [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR700"]this[/url]

:gas: :gas: :gas: :gas:

Hmm this is interesting because I'm new to playing Bass and have just sold a couple of guitars so am looking to upgrade my bass. In the mean time I have bought a Schecter Custom 4 off ebay to record with and am impressed. I'm a Schecter guitar fan anyway and own several Schecter lead guitars but I really like this little bass so am wondering what on earth I'm going to upgrade to?
It's light and nice to play, well made with active EMG hz pups. I will get another because I can but I'm pretty happy with this.

Maybe an SR would suit me just to try and add to the tonal ranges

Edited by Pinball

Massively excellent basses for the money IMO.

The necks are prone to a fair bit of seasonal movement IME, but with that thin a neck what can you expect (its nothing that a tweak of the truss rod wont sort out).

Very very playable and superb sound for the cash.

I've recommended these on a fair few threads!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1333282959' post='1599505']
Massively excellent basses for the money IMO.

The necks are prone to a fair bit of seasonal movement IME, but with that thin a neck what can you expect (its nothing that a tweak of the truss rod wont sort out).

Very very playable and superb sound for the cash.

I've recommended these on a fair few threads!
[/quote]

Neck movement is the only 'issue' with them. But as you say, nothing that a tweak to the truss rod can't sort out.

I've had an SR505 for years now and I just can't fault it - if it got destroyed tomorrow I'd replace it with exactly the same.
It can do everything from a mellow roll to a healthy crunch and the neck just feels so 'right'.

The SRs are a massively unnoticed piece of kit that never fails to illicit a 'what [b]is[/b] that?' response from fellow basists who hear it.

I'm dying to get my hands on an SR5005 to see how that compares...

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1333297206' post='1599685']
I really like the SR series. Unfortunately there's no fretless option :(.
[/quote]

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-SR505F-5-String-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-Brown-Mahogany/DC7

Wow much love for the SR-Ibby !

When I bought it I was a little unsure because you see other peoples Bass & the price tag that is attached so buying a budget your always thinking the grass is greener but I love this with a real passion.
I have owned it now for just under a year & still cannot find a real flaw in its construction.

If anyone is new to Bass & can afford one I would suggest going out & finding one of these & have a play......they really are fantastic for the money.

Cheer Ian for this comment, sometimes you feel a little unsure being a lowly budget player, but then you read this & it gives you the lift you need.......