Why become a member? ×

Question about rigs for Outdoor Gigs.....

Salt on your Bass?

Played outside on Sunday.

Back of a hard-side trailer job with vocal monitors only.

Both the guitarist and myself turned up much louder than we have just to be heard on stage. I didn't bother to mess with the EQ as it was plug in and go - not even a line check because it was running late. On stage was all bass rumble but I'm told the FOH was fine.

We played in a marquee in a pub garden a couple of weeks back. Provided rig was a 1x15 Ashton amp. Handled it all fine, though everything was going through FOH, not to make it louder, just so that everything was balanced, but the little combo was fine for on-stage sound.

Outdoors, drums sound pants without a decent PA, and once one has a decent PA it's business as usual for bass through it. Outdoors requires far more power to achieve the same level, and really that has to come from the PA to be sane......

Outdoors, bass rigs sound 'truer', if quieter, than they do indoors. But if the rig carries over un-mic'd drums indoors, it will outdoors too, just it will all be far quieter and drums in particular sound c**p !

HTH !

LD

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1462279111' post='3041667']
Outdoors, drums sound pants without a decent PA, and once one has a decent PA it's business as usual for bass through it. Outdoors requires far more power to achieve the same level, and really that has to come from the PA to be sane......

Outdoors, bass rigs sound 'truer', if quieter, than they do indoors. But if the rig carries over un-mic'd drums indoors, it will outdoors too, just it will all be far quieter and drums in particular sound c**p !...
[/quote]

To be fair, good, well-tuned drums sound fine outdoors, but very different from in an ideal room, I'll agree. They won't project to the back of a football pitch, but should sound musical (they're instruments, after all..!). A single overhead and a bass drum mic work wonders in consolidating the overall sound, even with a modest 'vocal-only' PA, as long as one uses only a tiny bit of mic (not the 'disco thump', just a smidgen...).
Just sayin'.

Yep, tune the drums properly and learn how to hit them means the drums sound good unless someone really does something to mess them up.
Then a lot of the drum sound is about level... and NOT endless EQ.
A kick and a SM58 somewhere near does ok.

Volume is the key outdoors as the sound just goes... and you'll need more in hand.

A lot depends on what is meant by 'outdoors'. Are we talking about a pub garden, a village green, a football stadium, Hyde Park . . . .?

I've played a pub gardens with a TC BH250 into a 212 and didn't have to wind it up much more than when playing inside a pub.

Also, outside gigs generally suffer less from feedback, reflection and resonance issues, which generally makes it easier to get a good mix in my limited experience ( which doesn't include the likes of Hyde Park ;) ).

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1462300568' post='3041962']
A lot depends on what is meant by 'outdoors'. Are we talking about a pub garden, a village green, a football stadium, Hyde Park . . . .?...
[/quote]

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1462224723' post='3041328']...this coming weekend we've got a night time beer garden gig...
[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353

Volume is not a problem outdoors; it just goes as far as it goes. For a garden party, a pub rig is perfect (it's our staple format...). It's only when the stakes are 'upped' that reinforcement is needed. Think of a band-stand kiosk in a town square. There's a bass drum, cymbals, a snare; even a string bass or two. They're heard just fine, in the seats parked all around. The don't frighten the horses on the boulevard though, but that's not the intention, either. B)
For a 'Lemmy' repertoire, all bets are off, of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353