Why become a member? ×

The Old Bell, Derby...

ThomBassmonkey

...shut down today. I still don't know the whole story but anyone that knows the Bell and Paul, the landlord, knows that it was without a doubt Derby's best music venue.

This is gutting, my band played there a lot, we actually had a gig booked there on Friday (which we've obviously had to cancel) and it's a crying shame to see it gone.

I don't know what's in store for it, but without Paul managing with his passion for music, I doubt it'll be the same again.

I head about this yesterday. This was their official statement...

[quote][color=#333333]As of this afternoon The Old Bell, Derby will no longer be managed and run by the current team. This is due to a difference of opinion in regards to the future plans from the company who own The Old Bell. [/color]

[color=#333333]The Old Bell has always fought to bring the best Live music to Derby, and following the way the company want the venue to head would compromis[/color][color=#333333]e the integrity of what we stand for, undo the hard work we have all put in over the years and change the Old Bell into something that it is not.

The Old Bell are a team in every sense of the word and we are all sticking together. Currently we are in talks to acquire another venue within the city where we will be moving all our equipment, shows and team together to a new home. We are confident that this will be resolved quickly and we can carry on with our program with minimal disruption. Until then we are talking with local venues to try and accommodate some of the shows we have booked in to avoid disappointment.

What has been missed by the company is that The Old Bell has always been about more than the building, it has been about the devotion of the team that works within the building, to provide a great place for music lovers of all genres to reside and to always make sure we put on the greatest shows we could. It was also about the dedication and knowledge of the promoters to provide the shows that the people want to see instead of what is going to make easy money, as well as providing the support to bands and musicians at all stages of their careers. These are the morals that we have always lived by and these are the morals that will be following us to our new home.

We would like to thank everyone who supported us in our time at The Old Bell, all the bands who have graced our stage (often on several occasions), and especially all the people who have turned up for shows. It is because of this support that we are 100 percent dedicated to coming back bigger and stronger in a new home and look forward to inviting you all to join us again as soon as were operational again.

THIS IS NOT WHERE WE END, THIS IS WHERE WE EVOLVE. SEE YOU SOON.[/color]
[/quote]

Sad to see it go, we had some pretty good gigs there. Although it seemed almost impossible to ever get a gig there!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1332941605' post='1595196']
latest word is they've sorted things out and it's staying open
[/quote]

Yep! Really good news. It's staying the same management too so Paul will still be a massive part of the driving force behind the Derby music scene without the hassle of finding a new venue. :)

Paul, are you the bassist in Verbal Warning? If so, I've known John a long time.

Edit, Joey, you should've hit us up for gigs. :) We have them every couple of months, I'm sure you played with us there while you were in PWG?

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1333290752' post='1599602']
Paul, are you the bassist in Verbal Warning? If so, I've known John a long time.

[/quote]
yep that's me, everyone seems to have known John for a long time :D
What's your band, are you local?

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1333299466' post='1599716']
yep that's me, everyone seems to have known John for a long time :D
What's your band, are you local?
[/quote]

haha yeah he's the kinda guy that gets about a bit, I actually live on the same road as him. I'm with the James Warner Prophecies (as per sig ;) ). I put John onto Paddy and Owen for your video. I've not seen you play in a while though, last time was a bit ago at the Greyhound.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1333290752' post='1599602']Joey, you should've hit us up for gigs. :) We have them every couple of months, I'm sure you played with us there while you were in PWG?
[/quote]

Yeah, I did one with you whilst I was in PWG. I'm sure we've spoken to Joe or Dan about it before but I can't remember! I'll mention it to the rest of the band again though. Cheers for reminding me!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1333327248' post='1600170']
haha yeah he's the kinda guy that gets about a bit, I actually live on the same road as him. I'm with the James Warner Prophecies (as per sig ;) ). I put John onto Paddy and Owen for your video. I've not seen you play in a while though, last time was a bit ago at the Greyhound.
[/quote]
Oh right, the video worked out pretty well, would have been even better if we'd have managed to play a bit better in the second half, and I'd have insisted on having the bass a little louder :rolleyes: