Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth

GregHughes

I've had three or four of them. IMO the current version is flawed and doesn't perform or sound as good as the older model, the older one is also easier to use because the sliders are longer and have a better feel to them. The old BMS is a really great pedal that makes some very useful noises, the new BMS is a bit weak by comparison.

Personally I ended up buying the Markbass Super Synth after comparing various, the BMS was fantastic at creating a couple of sounds but for me felt a bit limited, the SS is also limited due to lack of variance of waveforms but suited me better. Other units to look at would be the Korg G5 and the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer.

EHX BMS is a classic pedal - I have one of the older ones bought from another forum member - it was a trade-up from the Boss SYB-3 pedal I alos bought second hand. Easy to tune in, some useful sounds, requires a bit of time experimenting, depending on your style, the bass output and the sort of sound you are after. I have great affection for my BMS.

I had one of the old big ones for a while, it was great, but I just didn't use it. I've also had a Deep Impact and sold it for the same reason. I guess it's worth it if you're going to get the use out of it...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1332930974' post='1594952']
I could resolder a broken connection, but that's about it. No idea what a TB looper is.
[/quote]

To make the old BMS true bypass is a pretty simple job - just re-wiring a couple of existing wires to the stomp switch. I did it to my last one myself and my soldering iron looks Victorian.