Why become a member? ×

REEVES CUSTOM 225 or MYWATT 200

REDLAWMAN

I have never played a Reeves Custom 225 but recently bought a Mywatt 200 and it's wonderful. It's just like, well a Hiwatt. I would imagine that there would be little to separate the two as they are both Hiwatt clones except that the Mywatt would be cheaper.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1332858621' post='1594043']
I believe that there are exceptions...

[url="http://www.hi-tone-amps.com/product1.html"]http://www.hi-tone-a...m/product1.html[/url]

...not the cheapest, but pretty darned close to the 'real thing', imho...
[/quote]

[quote][list]
[*]Heyboer Transformers (the best Partridge clones made today)
[/list]
[/quote]

No.

Wiring still isn't up there. The floating radial electrolytics put it somewhere at late Sound city territory, and fully not to military standard since vibration will snap the legs off.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' timestamp='1333617765' post='1604209'] I'd no sooner buy a second-hand valve amp' than a second-hand pair of underpants..... :unsure: [/quote]

Wow. I would. Have. Why not, is it like a gold nibbed fountain pen which wears to the writing angle of the original owner maing it scratchy for subsequent users?

Major components of valve amps currently available are inferior across the board to those available in the heyday of valve amps, so its a pretty silly idea. Especially considering what is better now can cheerfully be added to a vintage amp, an likely more easily that such a modification could be done to a modern one. In fact, certain superior construction techniques used in old amps are illegal to utilise in modern amps. But less money for a superior product might make you look a bit poor I guess.

I think perhaps you misunderstand me and my rationale, Mr Foxen. I would like nothing better, in fact, than a fully-functional and wholly operationally sound 'vintage' amp' (a Bassman or Showman or an early SVT, for example). My fear of doing so is related solely to the fact that I have neither personal experience nor technical knowledge in this area: I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one and in the event that something should go wrong (or, indeed already be wrong), then I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

Not too much off-topic, I hope, but here goes...

I don't think that it's reasonable to compare a Honda Goldwing with a Sunbeam S7, a Testarossa with a Bugatti Royale, or a vintage Hiwatt with a Reeves or Mywatt. The vintage have become classics, but in their turn were once new, with their own weaknesses and strengths. Yes, I have vintage amps and basses, because I'm old, but I also have, and enjoy, many modern ones too. The clock will not go back; some (a few, but which ones..?) of the modern stuff will, in their turn, become 'vintage' in time. I would think that, as an investment, one could do worse than a Reeves (not sure how much my Hartke will fetch in 40 years time...). Are they to be compared to a Hiwatt..? Yes, and they stand up damned well. Are they the same as a vintage Hiwatt..? No, they are not. Is there much out there which is even close to a vintage Hiwatt..? Not that I'm aware of...
I could use Bassman, SVT or other examples, of course; the principle is much the same. I remember quite clearly turning down those rotten Sound City amps at the time, considered as being tonally inferiour and less reliable than many other offerings available. They have since become 'cult'. Similarly Orange. Wouldn't have considered 'em back then when they were cheap enough, but worth a small fortune now. Are they good..? They weren't then, so I don't feel the need for one now. Is the modern version the same..? I would hope not..!
To answer the OP question; no, I haven't experience first hand with Reeves, or Mywatt, my DR203 dates from back then. Would I be pleased to have a Reeves or Mywatt..? You bet I would; those that I've seen and heard were damned good. Vintage is fine, but there is a lot of snobbism, imho, and finding a good one is not easy/cheap/fast. The modern repro versions are as close as one is likely to get, and will, I think, become classics too.
Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps...

You're welcome; my pleasure.
I understand your reticence over the 400w for sale here, but it's a hum-dinger, imho (no relation, of course...). I'm surprised it's still up for grabs. Darned heavy, though (as are all these types of beast...).
Good luck with the search...

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' timestamp='1333695677' post='1605308']
I think perhaps you misunderstand me and my rationale, Mr Foxen. I would like nothing better, in fact, than a fully-functional and wholly operationally sound 'vintage' amp' (a Bassman or Showman or an early SVT, for example). My fear of doing so is related solely to the fact that I have neither personal experience nor technical knowledge in this area: I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one and in the event that something should go wrong (or, indeed already be wrong), then I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.
[/quote]

Chose pretty bad example for teh bassman and SVT, neither were well made amps in their day, those are Fords, whilst Hiwatts are Rolls Royce.

"I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one and in the event that something should go wrong (or, indeed already be wrong), then I wouldn't have a clue where to begin" applies equally or more so to new amps, and a vintage amp will have a personal history from previous owners, a wealth of review from decades of experience of their use, and will, possibly most importantly, be familiar and understandable to competent technicians. The only inherent unreliability in old amps is if you expect them to continue working for decades without a service or maintenance. A proper full service will get them working as per new, and will come with warranty from the tech, won't be cheap, but nor is a new amp. The recommended amp tech thread is basically all you need.

Just in case you're interested, these are available...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172902-dr201-and-dr405-replica-for-sale-from-croatia/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172902-dr201-and-dr405-replica-for-sale-from-croatia/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

...worth a look, at least..?