Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds and guages

mingsta

Hiya, but of a newb question here, I'm going to take my first dip in to the world of flatwounds.

I normally use super slinkies or rotosound swingbass 45 to 105 guage - find both to have roughly the same tension though quite different in tone.

I've heard that flats can have a higher tension for a given guage compared to roundwounds. Given what I normally run for roundwounds, what guage would you recommend for flats if I want to retain the same kind of tension?

[b] Stainless Steel Flat Wound[/b]

[b]Set 760FM[/b] Medium [i].049 - G[/i] [i][b][sup]1[/sup][/b][/i] [i].069 - D[/i] [i][b][sup]2[/sup][/b][/i] [i].089 - A[/i] [i][b][sup]3[/sup][/b][/i] [i].109 - E[/i] [i][b][sup]4[/sup][/b][/i]

[b] Stainless Steel Flat Wound[/b]

[b]Set 760FL[/b] Light [i].043 - G[/i] [i][b][sup]1[/sup][/b][/i] [i].060 - D[/i] [i][b][sup]2[/sup][/b][/i] [i].082 - A[/i] [i][b][sup]3[/sup][/b][/i] [i].104 - E[/i] [i][b][sup]4[/sup][/b][/i]

Just done the same thing on my CV Precision, I use the same guage as you in roundwounds. I put a set of Status HotWire flats on it in guages 40-60-80-100 and didn't have to adjust the bass at all. Heres a link;

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html Good price too. HTH, Nick

I noticed, when trying out Rotosound flats a few years back, that putting the same gauge on increased the tension quite a bit. And they were a tight fit in the nut (heavy gauge you see). So I think I would choose whichever set is the gauge below the current rounds used, as an approximate.

+1 BUT be aware that they are currently as scarce as hen's wotsits. I couldn't find any in the UK last month and ended up sourcing them from Thomann in Germany at an outrageous £35 a set.

If you want to try some but don't want to splash too much cash, I can let you have a pre-loved set for £10.

Nowt wrong with 'em, but they have been on two different basses already.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1331922321' post='1581027']
+1 BUT be aware that they are currently as scarce as hen's wotsits. I couldn't find any in the UK last month and ended up sourcing them from Thomann in Germany at an outrageous £35 a set.

If you want to try some but don't want to splash too much cash, I can let you have a pre-loved set for £10.

Nowt wrong with 'em, but they have been on two different basses already.
[/quote]
Just broken in nicely then.

Gauged like for like, there's considerably more mass in a flatwound string than in a roundwound string, which is why more pounds/square inch is required to bring any string to pitch. With the lighter gauged strings it's often the final wrap that is flattened only, but for some heavier gauge strings it can be the penultimate and final wraps that are flattened. This is why it's not always an even curve, differentiating gauge through a set. When using D'addario, Pro Steels v Chromes, I'd use a 45/65/85/105 set of Pro Steels and a 40/60/75/95 set of Chromes, to get, approximately, the same compliance.