Why become a member? ×

Ablity to MIME

leftyhook

Nothing to do with me....but thought it was interesting... :huh:

ad on a north east live band promoting site:

[size=5][size=5][left]"[/left][/size][b]Roadie/ Keyboard mimer[/b][size=5][left] wanted for touring show...STAGE PERFORMANCE and image essential. non smoker must have own transport and be available for weekend work, occasional overnights and tours".[/left][/size][/size]

Edited by leftyhook

The only time I had mime was for a show called The Electric Chair for ITV Wales donkey years ago. Felt like a right prat! However, the music video they did was pretty cool though and we didn't have to pay a penny for it! The song they chose was crap though!

You will often find ad's for musical actors that can mime for TV and movie productions. One of my agencies sends out emails once in a while asking for actors/musicians to mime.

It's a sign of the times, alas

first, the sound and light guy is replaced by on-stage controlling,

'real' musicians' replaced by puppets who drive/carry gear.

. PLUS keyboard players have a reputation for being mercenary bread-heads. True, from my experiences.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1331828334' post='1579590']
So is this cheaper than hiring a musician to play the keyboard parts? Now there's an interesting slant on the 'backing tracks' debate - "Lets have backing tracks but lets have enough 'musicians' on stage that nobody knows we're using them."
[/quote]

An ex missus used to have to mime a lot, usually for TV appearances as part of a string section. It was a struggle to get musicians rates despite having to bring her own instrument.