Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cheap(er) Fender

Looper

Hi all.
I'm looking to upgrade my bass and I'm trying to get one of the cheaper fenders.
There two I'm considering at the moment, an eighties japanese model and a newish highway one.
Anyone got any thoughts on which might be a better buy, or which of the other lower end fenders might be worth looking at.
I'd be playing quite old school music so just looking for solid passive sound from a well playing guitar.
Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Edited by Looper

Thanks for the reply, I'm playing a mid-eighties Hohner p-copy. Not a bad guitar but in need of work and worth half nothing!
I'd be looking at a second-hand mid range fender as a replacement, too many mixed reviews of the mexican ones for my liking.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I know it's daft but I couldn't get past having squier on the headstock.

Hi Looper.
I've got US, Mexican and Japanese Fenders. Based on them, and also what I've tried out but not owned my own preference is for Japanese made. Every time. The QC is just the best of Fender's IMO.
Also, to echo Ras52, don't rule out Squiers. Seriously. I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, and it's great. I often gig with it.

Not played or owned a Highway One, but have had Japanese Fenders, and they are very good. Build quality and playablity is excellent. Plus, an 80s instrument has that bit of aged mojo about it.

Of course, the real answer is, whichever your hands like the best - they`re the ones that are going to play it.

I have a Highway 1 Jazz, and love it. Great solid construction, finished nicely too. It's got a tight, growly sound which I find addictive.

Alternatively, have you considered non-Fender P or J models? Some great ones to be had for the money. I have 2 Vintage V4 P-copies and really rate them.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

Hey man,
I'm in a similar position myself, and after the research I did I too was weary of buying a Mexican bass. But it was a thread i created on this forum that aided my decision. It seems that there is a varying degree of qualiity with both the MIM's and MiA's, so i wouldnt rule out the Mexican Fenders. There is a good chance you will come across a great one :)!! I think i am gonna opt for the MIM personally, eventhough those highway ones do look cool, i just dont think there are any in stock in the guitar stores around me so i am yet to play one :/.
I was also pointed towards Yamaha's and Ibanez, but i want the FEnder feel so i can't resist :D!
Here is the link to the thread i mentioned if you are interested and have yet to come accross it:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168110-mexican-fenders/page__p__1538970#entry1538970"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168110-mexican-fenders/page__p__1538970#entry1538970[/url]

Thanks for all the replies, I'm in the arse end of nowhere so unfortunately whatever i buy i wont be able to try before hand.
Just want to get something better than what i have really. I'd lean towards japanese, never known them to build anything badly.
Got to decide on whether to go for a p or a j as well.
Must be great to be able to go into a shop that has more than two basses in it!