Why become a member? ×

elasticity in strings

Replaced a very old set of elixir strings with some earnie balls of the same guage and now find a lot more taugtness in the action, and the action also raised a little. Nowhere near as comforable to play, even though the guage is the same.

Not sure what my point or quesrtion is here. I want it to sound as good as it does now but play as good as it did before I changed the strings.

I know nothing about strings btw. clearly.

Generally strings get more elastic over time as they are being played for longer. You will also get slight differences in different brands too. If you like Ernie Ball strings a lot you could try going for a lighter gauge next time maybe? For now you'll need to tighten the truss rod a bit to get the neck and action to the right level again

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331725605' post='1577692']
Replaced a very old set of elixir strings with some earnie balls of the same guage and now find a lot more taugtness in the action, and the action also raised a little. Nowhere near as comforable to play, even though the guage is the same.

Not sure what my point or quesrtion is here. I want it to sound as good as it does now but play as good as it did before I changed the strings.

I know nothing about strings btw. clearly.
[/quote]

A truss rod tweak would seem to be in order. The biggest problem you'll be experiencing is from the increased neck bow.

Have a read of this for a basic setup guide. It's actually very easy to do.

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

I was a bit reluctant to get in there and toy with my new bass (it's a 4003, way too nice for me) - I've done setups on all my other guitars and other bass before, so I guess if I'm careful there's nothing to worry about.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331727174' post='1577735']
I was a bit reluctant to get in there and toy with my new bass (it's a 4003, way too nice for me) - I've done setups on all my other guitars and other bass before, so I guess if I'm careful there's nothing to worry about.
[/quote]

STOP!
Rics are a breed apart when it comes to setups.
Go onto the Ric' Resource forum and learn from the experts how to do it.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331741167' post='1578109']
looks like the main resource (joeys bass page) has pulled all his info... bummer. Can't find much other info. Might just lower the bridge and see if that helps, and leave the truss rods for now.
[/quote]

It won't... if you go further up the neck, you'll start to get buzzing and perhaps the strings choking out.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331741167' post='1578109']
looks like the main resource (joeys bass page) has pulled all his info... bummer. Can't find much other info. Might just lower the bridge and see if that helps, and leave the truss rods for now.
[/quote]

Hmmm bummer indeed. You might be able to glean something [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2"]here[/url]. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1331726014' post='1577701']Generally strings get more elastic over time as they are being played for longer.[/quote]

For a given tension, as a string degrades, the wrap/wrap and wrap/core adhesion breaks down and the intersectional voids deform, which results in the string becoming less compliant, that is feeling stiffer - not more, but less "flexible".

That's interesting, I've always felt the strings had less stability the older they got, and were more prone to fretbuzz!

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1331752320' post='1578357']

For a given tension, as a string degrades, the wrap/wrap and wrap/core adhesion breaks down and the intersectional voids deform, which results in the string becoming less compliant, that is feeling stiffer - not more, but less "flexible".
[/quote]

Always a minefield changing brands..... you just have to suck them and see.

I spent more than a year trying news brands...so around about 10 sets or so... and used a few twice after a cleaning, and I am nowhere near as anal
about the tension and guage as I used to be.

You'll have to do this until you are happy. Once you settle on a brand and set, you'll not want to have to be bothered with rod tweaks ...just a minute adjustment on the saddles
and only then when you go through the winter/summer seasons, IMO.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1331754284' post='1578411']That's interesting, I've always felt the strings had less stability the older they got, and were more prone to fretbuzz![/quote]
Abrasion. Metal on metal contact damages both the fret wire and the string outer wrap.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331893755' post='1580452']
How much relief does the neck currently have?
[/quote]

about 1.5 mm by my estimate... maybe 2mm. I play with a pick, often quite hard, so i don't really want a super low action. I'm going to get a tool for adjusting the tross and see how it goes if i set it 'dead straight' as they say.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331894396' post='1580473']
about 1.5 mm by my estimate... maybe 2mm. I play with a pick, often quite hard, so i don't really want a super low action. I'm going to get a tool for adjusting the tross and see how it goes if i set it 'dead straight' as they say.
[/quote]

Are you sure you're measuring relief?

Relief is a measure of the "bowedness" of the neck... if you capo the strings at the first fret and fret at the highest fret, the relief is the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret at the midpoint of the neck (between fret 1 and the neck/body join).

The correct amount of relief will depend on a number of things, but it's usually around 0.3 to 0.5 mm.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331895673' post='1580500']
Are you sure you're measuring relief?

Relief is a measure of the "bowedness" of the neck... if you capo the strings at the first fret and fret at the highest fret, the relief is the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret at the midpoint of the neck (between fret 1 and the neck/body join).

The correct amount of relief will depend on a number of things, but it's usually around 0.3 to 0.5 mm.
[/quote]

Ok, guess there's more relief than I thought was right.