Why become a member? ×

Value for 90s mij fender basses

Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331715844' post='1577451']
Guessing export as it has no binding . It's not a 62 or anything like that
[/quote]

That's not a reliable test mate, many non-exports look like standard instruments. Have a look at the rear of the headstock, non-exports usually have full sized bass-plates for the tuners, exports usually have smaller plates.

In any case, exports in good nick go for £400 - £450, maybe more for a minter. Non-exports can fetch up to £650 or more, they usually have USA pickups, alder bodies, generally much higher spec.

The one I'm being offered has a replacement body with an aged effect. Thoughts on replacement bodies generally - do they affect value much if reasonable quality?
It sounds good though

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331726753' post='1577723']
The one I'm being offered has a replacement body with an aged effect. Thoughts on replacement bodies generally - do they affect value much if reasonable quality?
[/quote]

Yes. How much depends on a few things.

You say the tuners have been changed and the body has been replaced. What else, if anything, is original? Where is the body from? What other hardware does it have?

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331727380' post='1577747']
By itself, I'd say the neck was possibly worth £150-£200 depending on what was done to it to get the new tuners to fit.
[/quote]
It looks just like the neck from my jazz 93 cij so I'm sure it's genuine . Seems the pup is genuine
I know the tuners, bridge and knobs are aftermarket but good lookalikes
The tuner holes look slightly enlarged at front but only close up

[quote name='max363' timestamp='1331727560' post='1577754']
A bit of topic hijack, so pardon, but would you guys know how much geddy lee jazz '94-95, MIJ release cost? condition 9.5/10..just wondering if i overpaid :D
[/quote]

I don't think the Geddy Lee existed in 1994/5.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331733053' post='1577898']
[/quote]

From Wiki: "The [b]Geddy Lee Jazz Bass[/b] is a Japanese Artist Signature bass guitar, [b][i]made since 1998 [/i][/b]by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Musical_Instruments_Corporation"]Fender[/url] in honor of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(band)"]Rush[/url] bassist/vocalist [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee"]Geddy Lee[/url]."

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331729161' post='1577803']
It looks just like the neck from my jazz 93 cij so I'm sure it's genuine . Seems the pup is genuine
I know the tuners, bridge and knobs are aftermarket but good lookalikes
The tuner holes look slightly enlarged at front but only close up
[/quote]

Parts bass. I wouldn't pay more than £150 for it... if it sounded good.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331733710' post='1577915']
Ok - being asked for 220 pounds. It has a graphite nut. Anyone else agree with d Lloyd ?
[/quote]
I'm with d.

I might go to £180 depending on condition, and if the body is a decent one, neck fits tightly and squarely, etc.

Yes but he wants £220.
See above :)

I have a 93 Cij jazz - I was quite interested in a genuine cij precision also, not least as an investment . Less keen on a parts model, and an expensive one at that

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331741337' post='1578115']
Yes but he wants £220.
See above :)

I have a 93 Cij jazz - I was quite interested in a genuine cij precision also, not least as an investment . Less keen on a parts model, and an expensive one at that
[/quote]

Go for a really good non-export Japan Precision then, but please don't think of it as an investment. You won't make much if anything on it (unless it was way below normal prices), they are not going to appreciate anything like an old USA Fender which are wreathed in mojo, superstition and general bullshit.

Keep checking far east guitars, John's a top bloke with contacts in Japan and gets a few over from time to time. They are always lovely examples. I had a gorgeous Jazz of him. This is the only bass he has in at the moment, a beautiful non-export B&B '75 RI Jazz [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331733053' post='1577898']
[/quote]
Oh, i guess i suck at dating fenders >.< ...And i feel a bit of stupid now :D ...neck says MIJ and T 035 (cant make out last 3 digs)...

EDIT: it seems japanese fenders were running MIJ T series in '94-95 AND '07-10, AND geedy + miller basses ran T series through '11 too...

I guess i better go check out fender forums..

Edited by max363

[quote name='max363' timestamp='1331743557' post='1578162']
Oh, i guess i suck at dating fenders >.< ...And i feel a bit of stupid now :D ...neck says MIJ and T 035 (cant make out last 3 digs)...

EDIT: it seems japanese fenders were running MIJ T series in '94-95 AND '07-10, AND geedy + miller basses ran T series through '11 too...

[/quote]

Does it say "Made In Japan" or "Crafted in Japan"?