Why become a member? ×

TRADED - Overwater Contemporary J5

Machines

Hi folks.

Had 2 of these basses (1st one had defective lacquer and replaced under warranty) so this bass is only 2 months old. Utterly spotless mint and as new condition - hasn't left the house.

This 'Tanglewater' is from the 3rd batch released and has more refined features than the original runs. In particular a gloss fingerboard, string tree and overall it's a better feel than the original (factory set action lower).

This bass has a very modern and 'hifi' feel to it and despite it's Jazz looks it won't sound like a Fender (which could be a key requirement for someone !). Everything flat gives a reasonable 'all usage' but focused tone which cuts through. Neck pickup soloed rounds it out to a subtler sound (the most 'classic' sounding) but bridge on it's own is outright rude and great for in your face funk.

The reason for me putting this up is i'm finding i'm not really utilising it and find I prefer old school sounding instruments - so trades for Fenders/old school basses are entertained (but ask me about anything - I may bite !).

£450 collection (these are £630 new now) from Birmingham or postage can be arranged at extra cost £20 inc packaging).

Pics:

Before this I had a 2002 Progress III Deluxe - and this sounds at heart very similar. Differing pickup types and positions of course meant some differences but you could hear the same tonal character from the pickups/EQ of both instruments. I know most people are skint at the moment (myself included !) but I thought i'd have had some more trade offers by now :blink:.

I'm going to GuitarGuitar in Brum tomorrow to give one a go along with some other fivers. If I like the shop one I may well be contacting you about this one.

You wouldn't be interested in trade plus cash for this would you?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170820-fs-squier-jazz-deluxe-5-string-l200"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170820-fs-squier-jazz-deluxe-5-string-l200[/url]

I'm interested in these basses...unusual body material with the poplar.

I'm after a studio bass that does pretty much outright metal. Nice clank, not muddy in the low mids but with plenty of useable bottom end.

Just curious if these basses are of "that" kind of tonality?

I also fear about the tightness of the low B with the 34" scale...

Looks killer however!

I was unsure about poplar initially but I don't think it has any real effect on the sound, i'd say it's quite similar to alder tonally. And of course it could be used for metal - but if you don't like 34" 5 strings then it won't be for you.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1331756275' post='1578459']
Yeah it ticks all the boxes for looks and the quality is right up there. Just not what im looking for tonally. Deep down [b]i'm an all out rocker and this is far too refined [/b]for me :lol:.
[/quote]

Was thinking... I like that bass wonder if Machines would be up for a trade? Thinking my BB424 plus cash. However, you killed it stone dead for me right there Machines! :D

Hard being a rocker ;)

a.