Why become a member? ×

Transition from 4 to 6

fender73

just practise and practise more........................................then as you get more used to it you`ll realise the economy of movement the 6`er will give you.................................... far less swooping up and down the neck...................... also beware the rogue ringing strings..... become more aware of muting techniques on the surrounding,unplayed strings.............................................

good luck!!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1331417708' post='1572737']
Get yourself a decent playing bass, a bad bass is enough to put anyone off 6 strings for life.
[/quote]

He has, he's bought a Peavey Grind 6. It's difficult to find an easier-playing 6.

spent another hour or so playing last night, and i'm finding the less i actually think about it being a 6, the easier things are becoming. Learned some new tunes last night for a new gig at the end of the month which includes some James Taylor covers so there are plenty of changes going on. The low B string is coming in very handy. Not sure i will be a full time 6.er, but i'm loving the change. Thanks for all your advice folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude it took me about a year to be brave enough to gig my 6 for the first time, sounds like you're doing well! I'm actually more at home on a 6 string these days but still love playing the old 4 banger as much as I can :)

Strangely enough because I too went from 4 to 6... I am absolutely hopeless on a 5 string! What's with that :blink: ?

It's all about extended range of options and more duplications of notes :) Joe Hubbard reccommends this exercise to everyone, it's especially cool when doing such transitions,and it's just a great start to familiarize yourself with the instrument :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sS0hhfezQ

http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Random-Note-Finder-Exercise.pdf

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1333086576' post='1597057']
Dude it took me about a year to be brave enough to gig my 6 for the first time, sounds like you're doing well! I'm actually more at home on a 6 string these days but still love playing the old 4 banger as much as I can :)
[/quote]

Thanks dude - i did take a 4 with me as well....just in case :-)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1333086576' post='1597057']

Strangely enough because I too went from 4 to 6... I am absolutely hopeless on a 5 string! What's with that :blink: ?
[/quote]

Me too - i don't get on with 5's - may give it another go at some point

when i went to 6 from 4 the main thing i had to do was alter my right hand technique to dampen the B & E strings with my ring & little finger resting on them when I was playing the strings above them - other players use their thumb as a floating damper to get the same effect, so whatever works for you !

As Faithless says, learn the notes on your 2 new strings, as others say, practise lots to get used to it, apart from that just have lots of fun with chords & extra harmonics and the other possibilities it opens up - and then remember not to use most of them on a gig unless it's appropriate !! :-)

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1333112981' post='1597611']
have lots of fun with chords & extra harmonics and the other possibilities it opens up - and then remember not to use most of them on a gig unless it's appropriate !! :-)
[/quote]
...guilty at last nights gig of adding in low notes where they weren't really needed - i'm sure i'll sort myself out by the next gig! :-)

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1333112981' post='1597611']
As Faithless says, learn the notes on your 2 new strings, as others say, practise lots to get used to it, apart from that just have lots of fun with chords & extra harmonics and the other possibilities it opens up - and then remember not to use most of them on a gig unless it's appropriate !! :-)
[/quote]

It applies for the whole instrument, not a particular number of strings. If you haven't done it before, regardless the bass (4/5/6 strings, doesn't matter), you should be having a hard time with the exercise.
There are note duplications on more than two strings - on a 6 string 24 fret bass there are 5 duplications of middle C note! That's why exercise applies to all of the strings.
Remember to be patient, and don't use metronome, until you can do it effortessly out-of-time. Metronome should only kick in after months' of work.

Edited by Faithless