Why become a member? ×

Greetings from a guitarist trying to learn bass

spiderjazz

I've been hanging around the forums now for a while, so it's about time I made my introductions.

I've only really dipped my toe into bass for the last year due to neccesity at the start. I've played guitar for about 10 years at this stage, but started getting into recording about a year and a half ago. After borrowing friends basses for a while, I decided it was time to pick my own up. I started out with an Ibanez SRX500 (nice bass for the money), ended up "upgrading" to a Fender MIM Jazz V, which ended up a bit of a disaster as someone who had owned the bass before had managed to strip the threads on the truss rod, and I wasn't able to adjust the neck for higher tension strings. In the last week, I've bought an Overwater by Tanglewood Contemporary Jazz 4 from tom1946 on the forums here, and I'm delighted with it. I'm running into an Axe Fx for all my amp and fx needs, and running this into an interface for recording, or straight to the desk for live use (currently filling in on bass duties in a metal band).

In terms of guitar gear, I've downscaled recently in terms of amps and fx, and I'm using the Axe Fx for everything. I'm playing an Ibanez RG550, "Signature" Les Paul and an 80's Charvel Model 2 body with a modern Charvel So Cal neck on her.

Recording wise, I'm running a Focusrite Saffire 6 interface with Yamaha HS50m's. Some of my own recordings are in the links down below.

I'm very much a guitarist playing bass, but I'm trying to sort that out so I'm looking forward to picking up some tips from the forum.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1331151880' post='1568624']
Welcome to the forum. There's lots of great info here and there's also the "Other instruments" section to cater for the multi-stringer side of things along with all other stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks, I haven't check out the multi string section section section, must do!

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1331555740' post='1574603']
Welcome to the forum.
[/quote]

Cheers!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331555891' post='1574609']
Hello mate. I started playing bass in the same way you did, but the bass took over, although I still have a guitar gig too.

Guitar can be a quite good instrument in the right hands.
[/quote]

I've been playing guitar for 12 years at this stage so I can't see myself turning my back on it, but it'll be good to have a grounding in bass, as I'm doing the one man recording set up at the moment, and I've realised how important that a good bass line/bass tone is.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1331558763' post='1574707']
Hi & welcome. A good move on your part getting into the bass. You have come to the right place. Good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks. I've nearly ended up playing more bass than guitar in the past year since I'm playing bass in a band. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer any skills I learn between the two instruments.

Heyup mate, It seems that this is how a lot of bass players started out, I started on guitar and there was a bass knocking about my dad's house so i started picking it up and finding i prefered the groove from bass. I still dabble with guitar here and there :)
I guess whatever instrument gets your fingers moving to begin with is a good starting point

peace out :)