Why become a member? ×

Line6 bargains

Cygnus x-1

I owned an HD750 (the bigger brother of the 400) for about a day.

It was cheaply constructed with silver painted plastic pretending to be metal..
The output was a huge letdown, presumably the output power was measured downhill. <_<
The octaver was rubbish (so pretty much the same as most built in ones fro other manufacturers IMHO).
The amp modelling feature was horrid and kept resetting itself no matter how hard you tried to use the thing in manual.

It got returned and a salutory lesson was learned - never trust a box that thinks it's smarter than you are.

On the other end of the scale :P

I've owned both a line6 studio110 and 300pro. Both were fantastic bits of kit for quality, construction and sound. The 300 was deafeningly loud to boot!

So instead I think the lesson should be:
Don't trust a box before you try it yourself :P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331078839' post='1567478']
On the other end of the scale :P

I've owned both a line6 studio110 and 300pro. Both were fantastic bits of kit for quality, construction and sound. The 300 was deafeningly loud to boot!

So instead I think the lesson should be:
Don't trust a box before you try it yourself :P
[/quote]

Hehe - all we need is for someone to say they think they might be a little bit pooey, but mostly OK and we'll have a complete set... :lol:

I think they might be a little bit pooey, but mostly OK... :D

My 2p: I did consider the LD400 combo at one stage, but didn't get on with it at all... the amp sims were average at best and it was difficult to get a decent basic tone... suspect the output figures were a bit cavalier, too. IMHO.

If gear seems exceptionally 'affordable', there's usually a reason, IME.

Edited by discreet

I owned an HD400 Lowdown head for a while. It was pretty awful. THe tones just didn't cut through in a band situation. SOunded pretty OK at home .... I'd say that's pretty typical of Line 6 kit in general though. It's mainly designed to appeal to bedroom players.

In contrast with an opinion above, though, I did find it "appropriately" loud for 400 Watts, but setting the input volume was pretty critical. It struggled hugely to get loud and [u]clean[/u] though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331115393' post='1567733']
Under what circumstances, Liam? Over-enthusiastic guitard and/or drummist, perhaps? :)
[/quote]

Actually no (People would get very surprised if they knew my drummer can do an acoustic rehearsal on a standard, unmuted kit with a set of 5B sticks and still not drown us out), just the sheer volume we needed those nights, and an inadequate amp position.

Liam

I used a LD300 combo for a short while, and it was certainly loud enough for pub-sized gigs. The tone shaping is what it is, there's much better out there, but for the money (IIRC I bought/sold it for £250 or so) it does a good job.

Edited by Muzz

Sorry Charic but...:)

I used a Lowdown 300 last night and hated it. The guy who owns it uses an array of the sims and effects on it which could get you a half decent volume. I don't like playing with effects at the moment and as soon as I tried to get a clean sound, firstly it always sounded as if one of the effects was still in the background and secondly the volume disappeared. This is the second time I've used this amp, the first was in someones kitchen (largish kitchen 20ft x 20ft) and I had the master up over half way and it barely made a noise, my Ibanez SWX35 kicks out more. My Fender Rumble 350 could blow this particular Line6 into next month and it's got a much nicer tone.

I'd never buy Line6, it's got to be the most horrid thing I've ever used.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1331118847' post='1567825']
Sorry Charic but... :)

I used a Lowdown 300 last night and hated it. The guy who owns it uses an array of the sims and effects on it which could get you a half decent volume. I don't like playing with effects at the moment and as soon as I tried to get a clean sound, firstly it always sounded as if one of the effects was still in the background and secondly the volume disappeared. This is the second time I've used this amp, the first was in someones kitchen (largish kitchen 20ft x 20ft) and I had the master up over half way and it barely made a noise, my Ibanez SWX35 kicks out more. My Fender Rumble 350 could blow this particular Line6 into next month and it's got a much nicer tone.

I'd never buy Line6, it's got to be the most horrid thing I've ever used.
[/quote]

Did you check the line level :P

I would think that whatever one you tried wasn't set up very well or was broken :lol: the last time I turned my 300pro up to half part of the church (where we were practicing) roof actually fell in :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331120088' post='1567854']
...the last time I turned my 300pro up to half part of the church (where we were practicing) roof actually fell in...
[/quote]

Are you sure that wasn't the disapproval of the LORD at your playing the Devil's music in his house? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331121505' post='1567901']
Are you sure that wasn't the disapproval of the LORD at your playing the Devil's music in his house? ;)
[/quote]

IIRC I was playing the bassline from MJs "beat it" :lol:

Are you trying to say that the LORD doesn't appreciate MJ? :lol:

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1331121688' post='1567905']
Are you sure that wasn't the disapproval of the LORD at your playing[i] a Line 6[/i] in his house? :P
[/quote]

This might be the case... I hear he's more of a Behringer guy :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331121770' post='1567908']
This might be the case... I hear he's more of a Behringer guy :lol:
[/quote]

Heh, I suppose you're right... Line 6 works on magic, but only Behringer requires true faith :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331121722' post='1567906']
IIRC I was playing the bassline from MJs "beat it" :lol: Are you trying to say that the LORD doesn't appreciate MJ? :lol:
[/quote]

It might be just that he doesn't appreciate furious masturbation.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331120088' post='1567854']
Did you check the line level :P

I would think that whatever one you tried wasn't set up very well or was broken :lol: the last time I turned my 300pro up to half part of the church (where we were practicing) roof actually fell in :lol:
[/quote]

By line level, is that the Channel Level? That was on about half, which might explain it :) And I think one of the preset lights was on which may explain something else...possibly.