Why become a member? ×

Them thar Powered Cab thingies.........

geoffbyrne

I'm thinking of getting one to use as foldback. I already have a suitable passive cab to hook into it, but on examining various pics of those on sale on Ebay, it seems to me that most of the links are XLR to facilitate active-cab to active-cab.

Does anyone have a brand which has a straight standard speaker to speaker jack to jack?

I don't want to buy a cab & find I can't hook in my passive cab.

G.

[sub]Powered cabs are usually configured to power themselves and themselves only and pass a line to another powered cab... as you've found. Can't think of any off the top of my head which will get you what you want... hmm...[/sub]

Loads of Active cabs have the option to drive a passive "slave" speaker.. My LD Stinger 152A for example... You can get Speakon-Jack speaker cables, as well as XLR to Speakon (although I've only had one amp with an XLR speaker output)....My active MAJ floor monitor also drives a slave monitor via a "normal" jack-jack speaker cable... I would suggest first find a active monitor you like with a slave speaker output, and get a suitable cable to match from EBBM on here :-)

Start here.. [url="http://www.ld-systems.com/208-1-15-stinger.html"]http://www.ld-system...15-stinger.html[/url]

IMHO these are significantly better than the Mackie SRM450's, and not far off the Mackie 1521's we also use.. I have two of the LD's as a stereo keyboard rig.. It is mindblowingly loud even without slave cabs .. We also use it as vocal PA where the bigger rig is not justified..

Edited by markstuk

The majority of cabs like these have an active crossover and two amps, one each for the bass unit and horn. You aren't going to be able to use a slave with these. The LD units have looked like great value for money for some time so definitely worth checking out.

Powered speakers usualy have a XLR/Jack combo input like this:

You can plug a XLR or a jack to the socket.

EDIT: try to find pics of the control panel of whatever cab you're thinking on buying to see if it has this option on the line out socket.

Edited by Ghost_Bass