Why become a member? ×

One thing really bugs me about Bass designs..............

apa

Now this has been bugging me for quit some time. Being a designer / engineer its something that catches my eye so take a look at these pictures...............

They all have one thing in common which I consider ugly and old fashioned and while being emensly practical and functional it detracts from all that ergonomic and esthetic blood sweat and tears that goes into the design of these beautiful creatures.

Im talking about [b][size=4]THIS[/size][/b]........................

Even when great lengths are taken to make something esthetic they plonk a thread and nut into it......

There are some designs out there, mostly for acoustic guitars like the ones that double are strap pins and this one........

But 99% of electric instruments that you buy from the £150 Squier Affinity to Mr Ritters £15,000 jobs they all have a thread and a nut stuck on them!!

And yes I understand the manufacturing practicalities of such things but its not rocket science to put a similar design to the Neutriks on them. Mr Ritter has no excuse!!

That is all. Have a good Sunday :)

A

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1330865124' post='1563913']

Shine active 5 string.
Ironically, the battery drains if left in and I may try replacing the socket (with a conventional nut one)
PS it's not got a fretless ebony board and I might be selling it soon.
[/quote]

It will drain if you leave it in since its still switched on! That goes for all actives AFAIK. But hey, nice hole ;)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1330865509' post='1563923']
It should switch off when you pull your thing out. My other actives do so.
[/quote]

OIC. You mean if you leave the socket* in question in the bass. In which case I concur

A

Since sockets are female Im not suprised :ph34r:

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1330866400' post='1563943']
I hosted that image on facebook and oddly enough a guitar maker has posted a comment... on the dovetail joints in the draw in the background!
[/quote]

Well they are very fine :) Eggshell Blue Farrow & Ball paint by any chance?

A

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1330866460' post='1563945']
Happen you could hide the nuts with a bush around the hole :blush:
[/quote]

:lol: Loving this thread. I can't resist showing everyone the hole in my new custom P.
Once you've done it side-mounted, there's no going back, IMHO:

Phwoaar, eh? Eh? :crazy:

Edit: Was going to make a joke about my P-hole, but that would be wrong, wouldn't it?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1330866547' post='1563948']
Well they are very fine :) Eggshell Blue Farrow & Ball paint by any chance?

A
[/quote]
Could well be, we got the table from a harp maker who was very particular about that sort of thing.
On topic- I've checked the socket that I bought to replace the one on the juice draining Shine and it's like the barrel jack in your original post.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1330866460' post='1563945']
Happen you could hide the nuts with a bush around the hole :blush:
[/quote]

Exactly! But if they had done that I wouldnt have anything to do while waiting for the GF to get her ass in gear so we can go down the George and Pilgrim for a few pints of Otter. Which is not the same since the new landlords moved in. He cant pull a decent pint to save his life Grrrrr. But I digress............

A

P.S Congratulations Lurksalot. Post No6. Your exelling yourself after how many years?? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330866682' post='1563951']
:lol: Loving this thread. I can't resist showing everyone the hole in my new custom P.
Once you've done it side-mounted, there's no going back, IMHO:

Phwoaar, eh? Eh? :crazy:

Edit: Was going to make a joke about my P-hole, but that would be wrong, wouldn't it?
[/quote]

Ah now thats where we disagree. Im not a fan of side mounts. Having to lift it up and fiddling around trying to push it in!! Give me a face mount every time. Wrap all your fingers around your thing and slam that bad boy deep with a satisfying clunk. MMmmmm now wheres that GF of mine................

A

EDIT: Its nice to see it sticking out the front to rather than dangling down!

Edited by apa

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330867000' post='1563956']
The one in the shine. By any chance is the barrel touching any of the pots in the cavity??

I think as well if the two earth wires are around the wrong was it will cause battery drain if the body of the socket touches any shielding.
[/quote]
I'll open her up later and look, I don't think there's any contact with the pots but I didn't know that shielding could be an issue. I'll check it later, thanks.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330867795' post='1563986']
So you like it on top? Well, I suppose variety keeps the interest up.
[/quote]

Absolutely :D

GF update: Shes decised to dye her hair! and is giving me a little talk as to why we need nasal hair. :blink:

A

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330868938' post='1564018']
She's dyeing her nasal hair?? Radical! You're a lucky man.
[/quote]

I know :i-m_so_happy:

Shes now reading this lol. Aparantly she'll be ready and we'll be out the door in 1/2hr so she can treat me to a slap up Sunday veggie roast at the Rainbow Cafe in town. 1/2hr?............... yeah right :scratch_one-s_head:

A