Why become a member? ×

Spector advice

radansey

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1330859548' post='1563777']
At about £1200 new I'd just rip his hand off. That is unless it has no neck, or pickups or electronics or... :shok:
[/quote]

This is a plain wood body (maple), bolt-on neck with dot inlays, black hardware, and EMG Hz PU's. Not sure of the vintage, could be an early one. Still worth the money??

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1330863124' post='1563866']
Seems far too cheap. I hate to ask this - but are you sure it's not stolen etc ?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's where my mind would be going - it's far, far too cheap. It's a complete bargain, but you have to ask why. Does it all work? Is it damaged, the neck bent? It is stolen? Is he on hard times and needing the cash quick?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330867374' post='1563971']
Yeah, that's where my mind would be going - it's far, far too cheap. It's a complete bargain, but you have to ask why. Does it all work? Is it damaged, the neck bent? It is stolen? Is he on hard times and needing the cash quick?
[/quote]

+1

I paid about £450 to import a plain wood Rebop 5 from the US several years ago. It was made sometime between 2002-2004. They're not as pretty as the new ones, but had one of the best necks I've ever played. I didn't like the pre-amp, but I did like the EMG HZs wired passive, which is what I settled on after trying another pre-amp and not liking that either. I sold it, for about £400, because I didn't need the 5, but I'd be very tempted by a similar vintage Rebop 4.

Some good advice above being careful, because of the too good to be true price, although other reasons might be a perception by the seller that it's inferior to the nicer looking modern ones, which it isn't, and confusion due to the range of Spector prices now, since they've been building in China.

If its the one in Gillingham with the sticker on, it sounds a bit too good to be true. Check everything out including the truss rod. Theres a link below which id's it as an early Czech model with a generic preamp and EMG HZ pups.

http://www.spectorbass.com/about/model_years_4E.html

Went for a shufti this evening,

Pro's

Seemed legit.
Not too bad condition

Con's

Neck was too wide and 'clubby' compared to my Curbow
Prefer Volume/Blend to Volume/Volume
Not sure what the sticker was hiding.

It pained me, I walked away :(

Mainly since I do not think that this is a bass that I could get on with. This is a bargain bass for someone (just not me!!)

Thanks for all the advice.

Ross

Edited by radansey

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1330979884' post='1565825']
Went for a shufti this evening,

Pro's

Seemed legit.
Not too bad condition

Con's

Neck was too wide and 'clubby' compared to my Curbow
Prefer Volume/Blend to Volume/Volume
Not sure what the sticker was hiding.

It pained me, I walked away :(

Mainly since I do not think that this is a bass that I could get on with. This is a bargain bass for someone (just not me!!)

Thanks for all the advice.

Ross
[/quote]

Yes, the necks can be quite a reach for some.

Is your mate able to open the offer up to others on this forum? I'm sure someone would have his arm off for it.

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1331141296' post='1568407']
Hmm, starting to have second thoughts :(

The pre-amp is generic?? Any cop??
[/quote]

The stock pre-amp on that Rebop5 would be the Spector Tonepump. Anyone who loves Spectors will tell you there's nothing wrong with it. It's 2-band (treble and bass) and conventional wisdom was that it is boost only, but I've seen some discussion that it is actually cut/boost. There are also people who don't like them and replace them with something else, such as one of the Aguilars. I did that and couldn't tell the difference. I still couldn't find a setting I was happy with. So I took the preamp out altogether and wired the EMG HZs passive and that was much better. Some people may think that says more about me than it does about the preamp.

Personally I wouldn't let the preamp stand in your way if you like the rest of the bass. You said you didn't like the neck. That would be the deal breaker for me - the neck was the best thing about it.

Well, I went back and had another look and now am the proud owner of a Spector.

In the cold light of day, the neck is not too bad after all - just different from the Curbow.

There are some 'dings' and a little buckle rash but generally good nick - not bad for £150. I would like to reduce the level of the 'dings' - any ideas? Sand down and refin?

Ross

Oh yes, pics would be great :) Just recently switched to Spectors myself, having only played Fender Precision(s) over the last years. The neck certainly is a bit on the "chunky" side, but being used to Precision necks, I actually found them surprisingly comfortable to play ...

My favourite bass right now is an old Czech model as well, an old NS-4CZ. EMG-Hz PJs, and the former owner switched the electronics for an Aguilar OBP-1. Solid maple, quite on the heavy side - but a tone to die for, one beast of a bass ;) Right now, I'm looking for another PJ- or JJ-equipped Czech Spector as backup ... Own an old Korean NS2000(Q4) as well, but with basswood body and soapbars it's just too different tonally - though a really great bass, and I got it damn cheap - for a stage backup ...

Getting an old Czech Spector for just £150 is really a deal almost too good to be true - congratulations, I hope you enjoy your Spector as much as I enjoy mine :)

Edited by ratking

Took the Spector along to practice tonight. All I had done was to remove the sticker (still a little dirty - especially in the grain) and tuned-up. The sound blew me away although I do need to have a proper play with the controls. The action is a little on the high side so I may need to shim the neck-pocket. Overall very pleased.

Since it is a natural finish, what is the recommended filler. I'm also a bit wary of sanding too deep and ending-up with an uneven colour.

Should I use lacquer or an oiled finish??

PS. I'll try and take some pics and post over the weekend.

Edited by radansey

Actually, I myself would simply leave it and go for the road worn / aged look ;) But if you want to refinish it, I'd recommend an oiled finish. A proper paint job with lacquerd finish is quite hard to do, and takes a lot of time and practice for a satisfactory result (many layers of paint, with enough time to dry for each layer, lots of sanding between applying the layers, polishing etc. ...), while a good-looking oil finish isn't that hard to do, even without too much experience ...

In my opinion, an average spray-can paint job usually looks worse than an authentic road-worn look, which actually adds rock'n'roll-credibility ;) But a nice oil-finish isn't too hard to do, or if you want to take the time and effort, it IS possible to achieve a nice lacquered finish - and it can also be fun, of course :)

Edited by ratking

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1331328781' post='1571629']
Took the Spector along to practice tonight. All I had done was to remove the sticker (still a little dirty - especially in the grain) and tuned-up. The sound blew me away although I do need to have a proper play with the controls. The action is a little on the high side so I may need to shim the neck-pocket. Overall very pleased.

Since it is a natural finish, what is the recommended filler. I'm also a bit wary of sanding too deep and ending-up with an uneven colour.

Should I use lacquer or an oiled finish??

PS. I'll try and take some pics and post over the weekend.
[/quote]

Pics attached.

[attachment=102108:DSC_8581.JPG]
[attachment=102109:DSC_8582.JPG]
[attachment=102110:DSC_8583.JPG]
[attachment=102111:DSC_8584.JPG]
[attachment=102113:DSC_8585.JPG]
[attachment=102116:DSC_8587.JPG]
[attachment=102119:DSC_8588.JPG]
[attachment=102121:DSC_8589.JPG]
[attachment=102122:DSC_8590.JPG]

A bit concerned how to clean the general grubbiness - hopefully it has not become too ingrained. Any advice on how to do a oil/wax finish would be most welcome.

Ross