Why become a member? ×

Light stuff

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330643502' post='1561056']
This seems to be getting slightly out of hand... I've read a lot about the Barefaced cabs and nobody has a bad word. I just wanted to get a second opinion from people who actually go out and gig the things. I'm not trying to offend Alex in case anybody thinks I am. He's been very helpful. But... it's a big slice of wedge to put out without a bit of due diligence.
[/quote]

Totally understood, just think people have found Alex to be very honest in his opinion.

Compact and Midget T here, comments from my trusted sound man are normally centred on the bass being too loud or too low.

Get the Super 12 on a month's trial, I'm pretty sure you won't send it back.

The Shuttle?

Bass player in a band I play keys in has a S12 and a Shuttle 6... Seems to work well, although he eq's quite differently from me.. General opinion is that it's a little clean and the streamliner is the current GB fave for rockier material..

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330693787' post='1561705']
What do you think of that Genz Benz 6.0? Can be had for under 400 quid at the moment which seems like a good deal.
[/quote]

Yes the Shuttle is a fab amp for something the size and weight of a car stereo! I don't have any problem getting the sound I want from it, but it can come across as a little clinical unless you push the valve preamp a bit. I use a dirty valve pedal in front of mine and it has all the grit I need.

I bought one from Bassdirect because it was on offer and drastically reduced, Alex uses the same amp to test and develop his Barefaced speakers too so I thought it would be the perfect match for my Cab. I was tempted by the Streamliner, it has more valves in the pre but the same power stage but after reading over on Talkbass that GB try to dial out most of the valve characteristics from their designs to get over the variation in valve quality I didn't see the point in spending lots more. instead I invested in a DHA valve preamp.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1330694551' post='1561722']
The Shuttle?

Bass player in a band I play keys in has a S12 and a Shuttle 6... Seems to work well, although he eq's quite differently from me.. General opinion is that it's a little clean and the streamliner is the current GB fave for rockier material..
[/quote]

Cheers! Is the Streamliner 600 £214 better than the GB 6.0 though?

I was thinking of picking up something like an Eden or a Little Mark. But the going rate for these used is around the 400 quid mark and I could have a GB 6.0 for £375 shiny new - requires some thinking about!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330694937' post='1561733']
Cheers! Is the Streamliner 600 £214 better than the GB 6.0 though?
[/quote]
I didn't think so, others may differ. the reason the Shuttle is so cheap is that it has been discontinued. Theres a new model out at full price. I don't have to have the absolute latest gear so I took the bargain - it still has a 3 year warranty.

The shuttle 6 has a HPF in it to get rid of the extremely low frequencies that can suck up all your power. It works in a similar way to the Thumpinator effect pedal. IF you're playing something with an octave below pedal then I'd consider this carefully.
I don't think a 5 string will be a problem though. I only play 4s so its definitely not an issue for me.

The Shuttle 9 is pretty much the same as the 6 - but with more output stage power.
The Barefaced cab should take either with aplomb, personally I don't think I've used more than 50% of the 600w on my Shuttle but if you're getting a Compact its an 8ohm cab (S12 = 4ohm) You'd be getting just under 500w from a Shuttle 9 at full chat - remember though that watts does not equal volume! Also, to get twice as loud as a 100w head you'll need a 1000w head, so the difference is not as big as it may sound.

In short, I think you'll be fine with either a 6.0 or a 9.0 - You will scare any audience with that setup!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1330702831' post='1561914']
The Shuttle 9 is pretty much the same as the 6 - but with more output stage power.
The Barefaced cab should take either with aplomb, personally I don't think I've used more than 50% of the 600w on my Shuttle but if you're getting a Compact its an 8ohm cab (S12 = 4ohm) You'd be getting just under 500w from a Shuttle 9 at full chat - remember though that watts does not equal volume! Also, to get twice as loud as a 100w head you'll need a 1000w head, so the difference is not as big as it may sound.

In short, I think you'll be fine with either a 6.0 or a 9.0 - You will scare any audience with that setup!
[/quote]

Its the 4 ohm 2x12 I've ordered so the amp would be on full chat. Several reviews I've read seem to think that the GenzBenz power claims are a bit optimistic. As I've said... I'm completely paranoid about not having enough volume. I've just filled in Alex's questionnaire so it'll be interesting to hear his take on all this (if he's still talking to me :unsure: :unsure: )

Yeah I know what you mean about the power claims. Basically all the Class D power amps in pretty much all the different makes are made by one company, Bang & Olufsen. The unit in the GB amps are no exception.

There's more info on these power sections here: [url="http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/"]http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/[/url]

Whatever make you go for the power section will be similar, so it comes down to the preamp section to make the differences in sound.
All manufacturers measure their power output differntly, and generally the marketing bods go with whichever set of figures they think will sell their amps. Rated power is different from actual power as it depends very much on the signal. Theres an interesting article about this on the barefaced site actually (along with many others). So I wouldn't read too much into manufacturers power claims unless they are all under the same comparable conditions. The B&O ICE Power amps for example have a number of watts output depending on the frequency of signal and the amount of distortion to the signal. E.g. 450w at 1% THD and 550w at 10% THD for a 1KHz signal - same amp, two different power ratings for the same signal...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330603077' post='1560068'] I'm fed up of carrying mega-heavy cabs about, have some surplus cash and want to make an investment. However - I'm confused. Anyway... current set up... I play in a loud 6-piece covers band -the PA is used only for the keys and the vocals. I currently use either an Ashdown ABM-500 plus a 4x10 plus a 2x10 - which is probably a tad more than I need. Or a Trace Elliott 300W GP7 15 inch combo with another 15 inch extension cab. I wouldn't want much less volume than the latter. Lots and lots of people seem to use very small cabs (single 12s and such) but I suspect they are playing through the PA so that won't do. I spoke to Barefaced a while back and they recommended a Super Twelve (2x12 I think) along with the ABM-500. It would be nice if that's true but I'm really nervous about going from (effectively) 6x10 or 2x15 to 2x12. Will it work? Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions and/or alternatives. Even better if anybody is selling anything. Money isn't exactly no object but I only want to do it once :) [/quote]

I use a Schroeder 12" cab that weighs 25 lbs. Our group doesn't include a drummer, but we are otherwise amplified and often play loud. I play the Schroeder through a Hartke 2500 amp (getting about 175 watts with the one cab) and it sounds great. Others have said the Schroeders don't sound good at low volume, but I think mine sounds good at any volume.

Schroeder also now makes a 2x10.

tg

Edited by tedgilley

I would strongly recommend trying the various small amps before buying if at all posible as it is extremely subjective. I tried everything in my price range with the intention of buying an Orange Terror Bass but ended up with a TC Classic 450 - a toss up between that and the Genz Benz 6 shuttle. I opted for the TC in the end because of the Tube Tone and Compressor, both of which are extremely useable. Others indicate they don't like the sound - as I say, very subjective.

And welcome to the Barefaced club. They are worth every single penny IMO.

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1330734034' post='1562481']
I use a Schroeder 12" cab that weighs 25 lbs. Our group doesn't include a drummer, but we are otherwise amplified and often play loud. I play the Schroeder through a Hartke 2500 amp (getting about 175 watts with the one cab) and it sounds great. Others have said the Schroeders don't sound good at low volume, but I think mine sounds good at any volume.

Schroeder also now makes a 2x10.

tg
[/quote]

Yes, good point tg, I should probably clarify what I meant by "Schroeders don`t sound good at low volume".

I meant at the same volume as the tv/practice amp volume. In any kind of musical/band setting, they`re amazing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1330775362' post='1562767']
Yes, good point tg, I should probably clarify what I meant by "Schroeders don`t sound good at low volume".

I meant at the same volume as the tv/practice amp volume. In any kind of musical/band setting, they`re amazing.
[/quote]

Right you are. My trio mates can't believe the sound that comes out of mine. I got a great deal from Mr. Schroeder, too, and now I need another of his cabs!

tg

If I can ask, what made you go for the 4Ohm cab?

The percievable volume difference between 4 and 8 ohm cabs is very little and if you go for a 4 ohm, you won't be able to add another cab if the volume isn't there.

The only reason to go 4 ohm IMO is if your head runs at 2 Ohm.

All just my opinion, of course :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1330853875' post='1563669']
If I can ask, what made you go for the 4Ohm cab?

The percievable volume difference between 4 and 8 ohm cabs is very little and if you go for a 4 ohm, you won't be able to add another cab if the volume isn't there.

The only reason to go 4 ohm IMO is if your head runs at 2 Ohm.

All just my opinion, of course :)
[/quote]

Me?

Well.... assuming Alex is on the money then the single (4 ohm) cab will do all I need it to. If it doesn't then it's going back anyway. At 700-odd quid a pop I don't anticipate having to buy another one. If my circumstances change and I need insane volume then I'm quite prepared to buy a slave power amp of some sort. The primary object is to have each bit manageable to carry.

As an aside, I'm pretty sceptical about 2ohm amps. I know it's different but I used to work in the car audio business and everybody went on about 2ohm like it was free stuff. Well it isn't; it just seemed (to me) to be a cause of massive distortion (and warranty claims for smoking mid-speakers).

I went for a 4 ohm cab for three reasons:

1. That`s what was up for grabs at a price I liked.
2. I only want one cab, but, GAS gets the better of me, so if my cab was 8 ohms, I`d be looking for another to add in - this way, I don`t have the option.
3. 500 watts into an efficient 4 ohm cab (which mine is) is way more than I`ll ever need - volume never goes past 9 o`clock, gigs/rehearsals/recording.