Why become a member? ×

Everson Nouveau Fretless

Scooby

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just thought I'd share the beginnings of a custom build I'm having made from Paul Everson. First off, I have to say how patient and accommodating Paul is after numerous emails each containing different ideas, variations on a theme and totally off the wall ideas until we arrived at the concept we first thought of! However, better to muse on all the different possibilities now before making drastic changes to a near complete bass! [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Paul sent me a pics of a few possible top woods based on my initial ideas and eventually I settled for the spalted beech burr - pic below. More details and pics as they arrive.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyway, the idea is for a 4 string fretless based on Paul's Nouveau style bass. The basic spec is: 4 String fretless bass - "Nouveau" stlye[/font][/size][indent]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bolt-on neck, non-angled 2 a-side headstock
34" scale
24 fret Maple neck with maple lined ebony fretless fingerboard, mother of pearl side dots

Walnut body with spalted beech top wood

Gold Schaller tuners and bridge

Graphite nut

Single humbucker - handwound double-jazz style
Two band Kent Armstrong active circuit
Three control knobs - volume, treble, bass[/font][/size]
[/indent]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1337853135' post='1666298']
Looking good...a deep set bolt on too..interesting configuration, whats your thoughts behind this ? :)
[/quote]

Thoughts were basically to have a single pup with a deep set bolt-on to go for the mwaaah factor :D The resonance and sustain should be superb and the EMG pre & pup will be a great match. Flexing the fingers already!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1338646497' post='1677603']
That is very, very pretty. It's an amazing top wood too. I'd be interested to hear what it sounds like with the pickup in that position.
[/quote]

The sound is extremely articulate. The placement of the EMG pup is ideal for capturing the best of the bridge and neck resonance while bringing out the 'mids' nicely - just enough to provide a balance in the sound. With the eq flat the bass's 'natural' tone is tight, with well defined highs and lows. A touch of bass and you get that mellow 'mwah'. The treble requires just a slight tweak and you can get a very bright, almost twang to the bass!

However, there is one drawback .... me! Due to a long term neck and should injury the bass just 'sits' slightly out of alignment for my dodgy shoulder. I've tried various strap/strap-pin arrangements but haven't yet discovered a suitable position that alleviates my problem. If I cannot find a solution that is both practical and suitable then the bass just might be available for someone who is 'normal' :D PM me if anyone wants to show any interest.

Edited by Scooby