Why become a member? ×

My New Favourite Bassist ..

xilddx

[b] [size=5]Jeremy Pritchard - Everything [/size][size=5]Everything[/size][/b]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He's wonderful! He sounds occasionally angsty, sometimes smooth as silk, truly empathic with the songs and their intent, and he has a few Chris Squire moments. Playful, melodic, rhythmic and polyrhythmic, lovely nuances, accents and phrasing, great sense of harmony with the vocals in mind, sits in the arrangement beautifully, and above all exhibits great taste, expression and intelligence.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Everything I want to hear in a bassist. I love the guy![/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Favourite songs (at the moment, I love the whole album) are Come Alive Diana (the one that boreslave Kitty Empire said didn't work), and My Kz, Yr Bf ..[/font][/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUq7tbuH00E

Edited by silddx

Never heard of the band before, but I really enjoyed that! Great stuff. A real eighties vibe, but in a good way! A definite Calvin Harris thang going on with the vocals...

Might have to investigate further! :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kD9HGZ28DA&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVAYMcY2vx8GQJgBVyn4_OaIRr4h7VgytM[/media]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330507978' post='1558389']
This might be the answer to "what's wrong with modern bassists?" - they are playing in bands that are so unlistenable we never get to hear their basslines.

Also it's hardly new - the album came out in 2010.
[/quote]

I meant he's my NEW favourite, not my favourite NEW.

Alain Caron could be my NEW favourite, but that's about as likely as me wishing leprosy on myself and my family.

Anyway, 2010 is pretty new right?

I was actually refering to this post. IMO only the last 6 months is new.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330473092' post='1558201']
Superb! I love it when great new bands' music actually gets BOUGHT :D
[/quote]

Sorry for being so grumpy about something that you are obviously excited to have discovered. It's just that for me Everything Everything represent much of what I dislike about current music from the UK.

I was recommended the band by a couple of friends who's musical taste I usually trust, plus they appeared to be named after an Underworld lyric - how could that be bad?

I find the music too knowingly over-complicated - it sounds forced to me done like that because they could rather than because it was the natural way for the music to go. And the singer has a more irritating voice than Matt Bellamy. Re-listening to the example you posted this morning the bass part is excellent. It's just a pity that it's supporting music that does nothing to make me excited about it.

Makes you wonder what the original band sounded like. I mean, in the studio they go, producer strips it right back until his/her identity is all over it.(Trevor Horne v Frankie GTH)
So even the bassists may have been instructed, though the young guy can obviously play.

Oops, best check to see if it was self-produced :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330514257' post='1558548']
I was actually refering to this post. IMO only the last 6 months is new.

Sorry for being so grumpy about something that you are obviously excited to have discovered. It's just that for me Everything Everything represent much of what I dislike about current music from the UK.

I was recommended the band by a couple of friends who's musical taste I usually trust, plus they appeared to be named after an Underworld lyric - how could that be bad?

I find the music too knowingly over-complicated - it sounds forced to me done like that because they could rather than because it was the natural way for the music to go. And the singer has a more irritating voice than Matt Bellamy. Re-listening to the example you posted this morning the bass part is excellent. It's just a pity that it's supporting music that does nothing to make me excited about it.
[/quote]

The voice is the most important thing to me (probably why I can't get on with RUSH anymore) but I love the singer's voice, I like pretty much everything about this band.

• 1 year later...

I can go either way here. I can enjoy and appreciate it...or...I can take the typical basschat-er approach and find what's wrong with it. lol. j/k.

Actually, I found it interesting but the quirkiness wore off quickly. A minute into the song I was yearning for a melody. The bass player was fine, but I wasn't hearing anything especially creative. Not a knock -- just a critique.

This is a very unusual sounding band , who you could conceive of in two different ways . On the face of it , they are intellegent indie rockers with an eclectic approach , but at the same time if their image as a band was slightly different - if they had long hair and different clothes - you could equally perceive them as modern prog rock with contemporary influences in their sound . Either way , it's a band I appreciate more than enjoy myself , but I can see why they would polarise opinion and why they would inspire a loyal following amongst people who do enjoy their sound .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1364825645' post='2031295']

Actually, I found it interesting but the quirkiness wore off quickly. A minute into the song I was yearning for a melody. The bass player was fine, but I wasn't hearing anything especially creative. Not a knock -- just a critique.
[/quote]

+ 1... I found the voice irritating, sorry...

I have to say I find the vocal really distracting on a lot of their stuff. I like him on MY KZ UR BF but, for example, he annoys me on Qwerty Finger (which I otherwise really like). In general I approve of what they do but I can see how the vocal puts a lot of people off.

There's no denying they're a talented bunch though, and it's refreshing to hear a band trying to force some deliberately-clever music on people.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1364830132' post='2031371']
I have to say I find the vocal really distracting on a lot of their stuff. I like him on MY KZ UR BF but, for example, he annoys me on Qwerty Finger (which I otherwise really like). In general I approve of what they do but I can see how the vocal puts a lot of people off.

There's no denying they're a talented bunch though, and it's refreshing to hear a band trying to force some deliberately-clever music on people.
[/quote]

+ 1 Whether I like it or not , it's nice to hear a band try and do something a bit different and to try and create .

I can deal with voices like that, I can deal with Morrissey and Billy Corgan in the same way because I think at the end of the day it's just great music no matter how marmite the vocal is. I like Everything Everything, been listening to Kemosabe a lot recently.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1330514558' post='1558558']
Makes you wonder what the original band sounded like. I mean, in the studio they go, producer strips it right back until his/her identity is all over it.(Trevor Horne v Frankie GTH)
So even the bassists may have been instructed, though the young guy can obviously play.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this a lot though. The production is lending an incredible amount to the song, not that I mind that whatsoever but it's almost what is making the track.

Edited by risingson