Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love!

pietruszka

• 1 month later...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1358858309' post='1946049']
Very nice! I really should get round to posting some pics of my new KT5 on this thread!

Did you ever do the video?
[/quote]

Thanks. No I didn't do a review yet, but to keep everyone amused I just knocked this up. Filmed using an HTC Flyer tablet, with the bass running through the Peavey practice amp my son uses for electric drums. It doesn't sound the greatest, but at least you get the idea.

[media]http://youtu.be/4Xj5N9-_OW4[/media]

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1358863168' post='1946184']
Thanks. No I didn't do a review yet, but to keep everyone amused I just knocked this up. Filmed using an HTC Flyer tablet, with the bass running through the Peavey practice amp my son uses for electric drums. It doesn't sound the greatest, but at least you get the idea.

[/quote]

Thanks for that Gareth, sounds good! Did you have the neck pup soloed? Have you got flats on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I posted in here.

Brought TRBboy's old natural 'Berg basic and I'm still in love with it, always been a little unsatisfied with a little low mid hump that has been more prominent in the studio so investigated to find that it's wired in series, so will be looking into how it sounds in single coil and parallel.

Although it's not been a deal breaker as I've played it exclusive since having it off him, with only wanting to give it up for a dream bass.

Played it so much it's got a wear mark from my grubby thumb near the pickup lol!

[attachment=127653:Gedling-20120526-00267.jpg]

and a vid from a gig.

[url="http://youtu.be/bVssp9UXZ9w"]http://youtu.be/bVssp9UXZ9w[/url]

I'm thinking of buying one of the California basses and was just wondering what kind of sound difference I'm going to hear between the bridge J Bass pick-up and the bridge double humbucker type PUp.

I live in Manchester ....any recommendations which dealer to buy from..someone mentioned Germany before. Thanks

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1360875221' post='1977856']
I'm thinking of buying one of the California basses and was just wondering what kind of sound difference I'm going to hear between the bridge J Bass pick-up and the bridge double humbucker type PUp.

I live in Manchester ....any recommendations which dealer to buy from..someone mentioned Germany before. Thanks
[/quote]

In my opinion, the MM pickup is a big improvement. Don't think for a minute that you're going to get a Stingray sound from it because it's too far back. The benefit is that you don't suffer some of the weakness/thinness associated with a J bridge pickup, but it still definitely sounds like a bridge pickup just with a bit more balls. The California TM has a coil split switch for the bridge pup anyway, so you can still get that single coil sound. As always, you really could do with trying one to see if it's for you. Don't know if there's anywhere too near you though.....

As far as buying one, yes the German retailers are generally cheaper than UK retailers, but I STRONGLY recommend talking to Alan Greensall at Synergy Distribution (the UK Distributors) because he will do his utmost to help you find the best deal possible in the UK, and will be able to offer plenty of advise about specs, etc too. I felt that it was worth paying a small amount more to deal with a UK seller. Alan will also be able to advise you of the nearest stockists to you, so it would be well worth giving him a call. [url="http://www.synergydistribution.co.uk/Welcome.html"]http://www.synergydi...uk/Welcome.html[/url] 0121 270 6485

I think that they're amazing instruments and offer incredible value for a handbuilt instrument with such great sound and playability.

Hope this helps!

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1360872734' post='1977804']
Thought I posted in here.

Brought TRBboy's old natural 'Berg basic and I'm still in love with it, always been a little unsatisfied with a little low mid hump that has been more prominent in the studio so investigated to find that it's wired in series, so will be looking into how it sounds in single coil and parallel.

Although it's not been a deal breaker as I've played it exclusive since having it off him, with only wanting to give it up for a dream bass.

Played it so much it's got a wear mark from my grubby thumb near the pickup lol!

and a vid from a gig.
[/quote]

NOOOOOO!!!!! You've marked the finish!!!! :D

Glad you're still enjoying it mate, if I hadn't decided to switch to 5ers full time, I would definitely not have parted with that one! My first Sandberg, and turned my perception of what works best for me upside down. I haven't looked back, and can't see me rocking anything else now.

I know what you mean with regard to the mid range response, and I strongly recommend you try one of the High Gloss (Alder bodied) Basic Ken Taylors if you ever get chance. Personally I think that the alder gives a slightly warmer, more even response, but you still get plenty enough snap and sparkle on the top end. Obviously the dual pickups give you a broader tonal response too, and a lot more flexibility dialling in the sound you want.

Hit me up if you're ever in my area, and you're welcome to have a blast on mine!

Take it easy man.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1360927377' post='1978386']
Thanks TRBboy

I'll give Alan a ring...maybe I'll go for the Musicman style pick-up at the bridge as it does bug me that the J Bass bridge PU's do sound a little thin sometimes. Thanks again. Regards John
[/quote]

The sandberg's standard single coil, with the single pole pieces are superb though, no where near as thin as what you'd get from anything from fender, and the overall tone is similar to the single coils in musicman basses too.

I visited PMT in Manchester today just to see and get a feel of Sandberg. I think I'll go for a TM4 in Lake Placid Blue with ebony fingerboard, block inlays and matching headstock...am unsure to get the 'soft ageing' thing or not!

Here's a few observations which maybe someone can comment on:-

Am I right in thinking the TM4 has a neck measurement at the nut of 38mm. same as a Jazz, which I really like, and the TT4 is slightly wider?

The action was slightly higher on the TM4 I tried which threw me a little...I know the basses are set up to exacting standards at the facory...if I lower the action does it comprimise string volume output? The neck also had an oily finish rather than varnish which felt a bit sticky, but I suppose I'll get used to that.

The other thing which I've had on my last 2 x Jazz type basses, was that they suffered from the G string being slightly quieter in volume compared to the rest. I know Musicmans and Rickys suffer from the same problem. Maybe my ears are going but in the shop I swear the G was quieter on the TM4. Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm imagining this!

Overall though, loved the tone, especially the back pick up boppy Jaco sound...it's a quality piece of kit.

Edited by John Cellario

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1360954380' post='1979056']
I visited PMT in Manchester today just to see and get a feel of Sandberg. I think I'll go for a TM4 in Lake Placid Blue with ebony fingerboard, block inlays and matching headstock...am unsure to get the 'soft ageing' thing or not!

Here's a few observations which maybe someone can comment on:-

Am I right in thinking the TM4 has a neck measurement at the nut of 38mm. same as a Jazz, which I really like, and the TT4 is slightly wider?

The action was slightly higher on the TM4 I tried which threw me a little...I know the basses are set up to exacting standards at the facory...if I lower the action does it comprimise string volume output? The neck also had an oily finish rather than varnish which felt a bit sticky, but I suppose I'll get used to that.

The other thing which I've had on my last 2 x Jazz type basses, was that they suffered from the G string being slightly quieter in volume compared to the rest. I know Musicmans and Rickys suffer from the same problem. Maybe my ears are going but in the shop I swear the G was quieter on the TM4. Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm imagining this!

Overall though, loved the tone, especially the back pick up boppy Jaco sound...it's a quality piece of kit.
[/quote]

Glad you got chance to try a couple!

Don't think I've ever had chance to a/b a TM and TT, but as far as I know the neck profile is the same, but obviously the VM and VS are different. It's worth remembering that the necks are all hand shaped, so there will be some subtle variations.

String height will affect the output quite significantly, to far from the pickups will result in lower output, and too close the pickupmagnets can pull on the strings causing a reduction in vibration and sustain. FWIW, I've played Sandbergs in PMT Birmingham which were appallingly set up! Had I not already owned a couple, I would've concluded that they were horrible to play. Sandberg usually set the pickups with the Bridge pup about 4mm from the strings, and the neck pup about 5mm.

Not sure what to say about the stickiness, maybe a previous player had been eating donuts? :D Seriously though, the neck finish on a new Sandberg is usually a silky smooth satin finish, so not quite sure what's going on there.

I've always felt that the string response/output is very even on Sandbergs, much more so than other basses I've had, but maybe it's related to your concerns about the setup/string/pickup height.

Personally I wouldn't go for the ageing, but that's all down to personal taste.

Any more questions, fire away!

Just realised that I didn't post my NBD just before Christmas in here.

Having the usual trouble uploading pics and that, but here's a link to the thread in bass guitars:

basschat.co.uk/topic/194793-nbd-my-new-baby-has-arrived-at-last/page__hl__my%20new%20baby

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1360961992' post='1979256']
Just realised that I didn't post my NBD just before Christmas in here.

Having the usual trouble uploading pics and that, but here's a link to the thread in bass guitars:

basschat.co.uk/topic/194793-nbd-my-new-baby-has-arrived-at-last/page__hl__my%20new%20baby
[/quote]

Here's a taster ...

Judging by the 'artists' on the web site using Sandbergs, would it be true to say the brand seems to fall into the heavy rock genre. I'm trying to play in a more sort of Jeff Berlin / Scott Devine / Jaco style ....obviously, any style can be played on any bass, but do you know what I mean?...

P Basses/Rickys fall in into this rock area whereas as say a Jazz bass is more sort of funk/ jazzy if that makes sense. Image matters!!!

[quote name='RafBass' timestamp='1355125285' post='1894261']
I do wish folk would stop banging on about how great Sandbergs are....(the Fender Benders might find out and start buying them, pushing the price up beyond us poor mortals!!)
[/quote]
[quote name='RafBass' timestamp='1355340726' post='1897233']
The bottom picture is a custom with mahogany body, with a walnut sandwich and a burl maple top, birds eye neck and 'gold' hardware. Standard Sandberg humbuckers with coil taps and a three band Glock EQ. It is, without out doubt, the best Bass I have ever played in 45 years of playing. the expression "it plays like butter" was invented by this bass!!
[/quote]

Its my old bass that I got Sandberg to make for me a few years back. Its without doubt the best Sandberg I have ever played. I only moved it on because I needed a 6 string fretless.
I really hope you enjoy playing it.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1358855879' post='1945977']
At home today, so snapped some pictures of my VT5 B)

[url="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8211/8405405480_b78d6435cc_c.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8405411088_4bb89eab09_c.jpg"][/url]
[/quote]

Oh Gareth.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1361011394' post='1979674']
Judging by the 'artists' on the web site using Sandbergs, would it be true to say the brand seems to fall into the heavy rock genre. I'm trying to play in a more sort of Jeff Berlin / Scott Devine / Jaco style ....obviously, any style can be played on any bass, but do you know what I mean?...

P Basses/Rickys fall in into this rock area whereas as say a Jazz bass is more sort of funk/ jazzy if that makes sense. Image matters!!!
[/quote]

Personally, I think that you should just play what feels and sounds right to you, not what other people tell you is the right instrument for the genre. I can't understand when people put image above feel/playability! It's not that I'm not concerned with image at all, I just like what I like, not what others like. I've played a Jazz bass in a metal band for years, and a Warwick Thumb 5 in a punk band.

Probably the wrong person to talk about this! :D

I've used my Sandberg basic for everything, pop, rock, funk, soul, motown, ska, country, blues. And it works with all of them, and I barely tweak the EQ, it just sounds great.

There is a video review of some bass tested by Paul Turner, he said he liked it that much during testing that he played it in the Jamiroquai set that night. To me that says that the bass' sound is irrelevant (I am putting my shields up for the bombardment!). If it sounds good it will work, it didn't matter if Turner used a jazz, or a sting ray, or a warwick no one is really going to notice that much are they? Go for it, after all the bass won't be played on its own in a band will it?

Dan