Why become a member? ×

Short -Scale Bass

CaioBM

Danelectro Longhorn, Fender Mustang, Gibson SG Standard.

Which one can give me a good ol' warm vintage tone?

Which one would you choose, and WHY?

Just so you know, I can't go out and try them at a local
store.

I live outside the US, and a friend is going there and I'll give him the money.

[i]Danelectro Longhorn[/i] gives the vibe, lots of twang, unique sound. And it looks weird. Stylish, yes, but weird. And I guess that's not the tone you're looking for.
[i]Fender Mustang[/i] has lots of mids, I consider it as a 'oldschool punk rock bass' as it was once inexpensive, entry level bass frequently used by garage bands. I love it's sound and certainly buy one if available cheap. But that's supposedly not the tone you're looking for.
[i]Gibson SG[/i] is a thing you're looking for - full tonal spectrum with LOTS of warmth and low end. Has punch, blows the head off if plugged into proper amplification. Certainly, the most versatile of the three.

I'd take SG (or same vintage Japanese copy, even the better choice!).

Fender Mustang would be for me, if I was buying blind.
As all the ones I've played to this point have felt very similar, with an exception of one with a twisted neck. Also the lower wieght of the mustang is a list on the Pros

While it doesn't inherently sound like wooly vintage, you can eq and use the tone knob to achieve this. Where as the Gibby is hardy to make sound different and still sound good.

Also the SG basses I've tried while smaller bodied still wiegh more than they should.

[quote name='CaioBM' timestamp='1329938496' post='1550132']
actually, i love short scale, AND I don't want a back-breaking bass. I'm 15, and I'm not very tall.
[/quote]

I would suggest something like this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vintage_modified_mustang_bk.htm?sid=166d52b5860759a94b6532c1c40d7b57"]http://www.thomann.d...b6532c1c40d7b57[/url]

If money was no object i'd go for an old Gibson EB3. Loads of low end warmth and vintage tone.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

Well, there are at least three Hofner basses that fit the bill, all of which are short scale, two of which are compact, the other of which is thin: 500/1 aka Beatles bass; Club; and Verythin. Certainly vintage in terms of styling and sound. Epiphone make a cheaper 500/1 alike, if you've got a limited budget. As for the Mustang, personally, I don't think the modern version of this, made in Japan, is particularly heavy, but have tended to find that the vintage Musicmasters tend to be a touch lighter than the vintage Mustangs.

• 1 year later...

Given the choice of those three, I'd probably go for the Mustang. Shocking admission from a man with tastes like mine, but it's probably the all-rounder of the three, the other two being at various extremes of either sound or ergonomics - in my opinion neither things are desirable when you're starting out. My first bass was an Epiphone EB-3. I bought it because it looked pretty. Ergonomically it was a disaster (horrible neck dive which I had to constantly fight against when playing, and a thin neck which I later found out through playing other basses that I dislike) and as such it was a pretty ornament for something like five years, years that I now regret as being wasted (from a bass playing point of view - I did other stuff!)

Get an Allen Woody Rumblekat... It's an Epiphone Custom Shop model and it kicks the arse off every other short-scale I've ever played or seen. Less than £300, great mini humbucker pickups, beautiful finish and is the essense of 'vintage vibe'...

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1329939148' post='1550142']
Or more realistically, try the short scale Squier Jaguar bass
[/quote]

+1

Unless you've got plenty of spare cash and a burning desire for something with Fender / Gibson on the headstock, the Squier Jaguar is one of the best short-scales out there at the moment in my opinion. PJ pickups will give you the tone you want as well.

I have both a Gibson SG and a Fender Mustang (new "Pawn Shop") model. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either but new, you'll get a Mustang for less £'s than an SG.
The main difference is that the SG suffers a little from "neck dive", but it's no big issue, just use a rough leather strap....problem solved!!
Love 'em both; each has it's own voice and both are absolutely excellent basses.

How do I choose which one to gig ?..............flip a coin!! ;)

Edited by onemanband

Danelectro Longhorn - superb things! Try and get an earlier Korean one, they crop up on ebay every now and then
for around £150/£200. Only one sound, but its fantastic! Plenty of 50's/60's thumpy vibe but with a hint of twang too.
Used by Jack Bruce, Entwistle etc.