Why become a member? ×

Guy finds 62/63 Shell Pink Jazz Bass..it's all going off on Talkbass

umcoo

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332183479' post='1584509']
Did I make it up that it was the bass player of The Crickets?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crickets"]http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Crickets[/url]

I've only just caught up with the thread, so am wary of delving back in to find out...
[/quote]

Yes from what I am being told, The original owner and player of this bass played with Buddy Holly before Buddy formed the Crickets in 1957 (Not this bass though as it is a 62)
He says he played with Buddy when he was around 13-14 years old off and on.
He then joined up with the Crickets after Buddy's death between 1963-1965 but only played a few shows with them (With this Bass) He says he had it painted pink so that it would stand out, and tells tales of standing on top of their amps playing behind their backs.
Also that they would coat their amps in some kind of rubber so they could crank them all the way up and not blow the speakers out. ????

Unfortunately his playing days were very short lived and came to a very abrupt end because of a vehicle accident where his car slammed into some cattle in the middle of an old back road. Heading from a Sioux City Iowa show going home to Wayne Nebraska.

I have looked at literally every possible Cricket site and picture and known video but have not had any luck finding anything about him. I assume his career was so short lived he'll never get any credit for his time with them. I did send an Email to the Cricket's management asking if anyone can remember anything from their 1965 Iowa shows, thinking that just maybe someone would remember a shell pink bass guitar.

They also opened for Elvis at one of the shows too.

So far that is about all I know, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1332444773' post='1588577']
Yeah it is completely worthless, I'm gonna customize it with all modern Squire parts for shits & giggles. I mean Squire is WAY better quality right?
[/quote]

I'll swap you for a Vintage, it's a genuine Vintage bass - it says so on the headstock?

BTW - some would want to lynch you for not saying Squier, that hint alone is worth the trade, n'est pas?, I mean........... I saved your life - what more do you want?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1332447628' post='1588630']
I'll swap you for a Vintage, it's a genuine Vintage bass - it says so on the headstock?

BTW - some would want to lynch you for not saying Squier, that hint alone is worth the trade, n'est pas?, I mean........... I saved your life - what more do you want?
[/quote]

Lol, I'll tell you what I will give it some good honest thought and get back to you.
Thanks for the life saving either way though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1333183214' post='1598414']
Bump - you still there 1SHOT?
[/quote]

Yes, I'm still here and still check in from time to time.

I'm still waiting myself, She has been extremely busy with work and was out of town for a few weeks so she was not able to get a whole lot in form of information for me.
She does still write about once a week, So I know it's still coming it's just going to take a little longer than expected.
She did get a few questions of mine answered but not much out of the 50-60 or so questions I asked I got about 3 answered.
The bass was purchased very early 1963 for around $300.00 (More than I paid 50 years later :D) from the local music shop in Nebraska. It is definitely a late 1962 perhaps one of the very last to be made with the string mutes, as I understand they stopped using them in 62. and considering the pots are dated the very late in the last week of 62 :D. The paint was done in the same year he bought it having it done very soon after buying it. So it is indeed a VERY vintage job as well and has plenty of age and "MOJO" B)
(304 5262)
Unfortunately he was not able to remember names of all the people he was able to play with during those days but she says she's going to ask a few times as that seems to help jog his memory from time to time.
He is adamant about his playing with the actual Cricket's and seems to be very proud of this fact. (As he should be)

That's about all I have so far, he seems to be not real sure about a lot of real fine details which is to be expected with his age and deteriorating health. He seems to be a really cool guy and it's unfortunate I may never get the chance to meet him.

As always guys I'm still here and will definitely let you know as soon as I know.
I was waiting to get everything I didn't want to keep posting little tid bits here and there.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1333302405' post='1599778']
Glad to hear you're still alive and kicking, 1SHOT.
Thanks for the mini update and I look forward to hearing the full monty.
Keep playing that bass, y'hear?
[/quote]
I am it's actually become a bit of an addiction, I sat up until 3am because I couldn't stop playing it.

I kid you not I was so tired I was playing up and down the F-Board resting my head against the top horn and dozing off and coming too again and playing more. Only stopping because I was scared I'd fall completely asleep and drop it on the floor. Lol I think it's safe to say I'm hooked.

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1333305176' post='1599826']
I am it's actually become a bit of an addiction, I sat up until 3am because I couldn't stop playing it.

I kid you not I was so tired I was playing up and down the F-Board resting my head against the top horn and dozing off and coming too again and playing more. Only stopping because I was scared I'd fall completely asleep and drop it on the floor. Lol I think it's safe to say I'm hooked.
[/quote]

Drop it on the floor! You don't have a strap on it ? :o

Congratulation's on the addiction by the way.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1333312263' post='1599981']
Drop it on the floor! You don't have a strap on it ? :o

Congratulation's on the addiction by the way.
[/quote]

Nope, no strap yet, I've been to a few stores and looked at a few but have yet to find one that really speaks to me just yet.
I have the original with it but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world.
Lately I've been using a cheap nylon one from my son's guitar when need be.
Last night I hadn't planned on getting tired, it just happened. Lol

Well I promised you guys some pics, So here they are. 1962 Fender Jazz Bass

[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/020-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/013-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/012-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/178.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/154.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/IMG_0217.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/171.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/175.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/182.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/ShellPink62/IMG_0215.jpg[/IMG]

Re the pics: [b]WOW![/b]

One of the bands I play in is doing a 1950s / 1960s gig in July and I've just got the set list and there are 3 Buddy Holly/Crickets numbers and about 6 Elvis numbers in there.
So, just thinking, if you send the bass over to me here in the UK I can check it out, live and on-stage for free, to see if it still works OK for you by playing the sort of stuff it did in the olden days when touring. ;)

Sound like a good idea to you, 1SHOT? :D

Forgive my ignorance, I read quite a lot of this saga a few weeks ago both here and TB but started to flag at the immenseness of it :) and glossed over some of it at the end and in doing so I've obviously missed out a part which leaves me with a massive plot hole that bugs my curiosity - the original owner has been traced but he simply doesn't want it back?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333357508' post='1600346']
I think it would look better with some stickers on it, to make it unique and sound louder. It's a pity the 1st April has passed off - surely someone has a cheap(er) pink Jazz, and we could have had some royal fun with Talkbass :lol:
[/quote]

Now that would have been childish and imature.

So count me right in :D

Jez

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1333357273' post='1600341']
Re the pics: [b]WOW![/b]

One of the bands I play in is doing a 1950s / 1960s gig in July and I've just got the set list and there are 3 Buddy Holly/Crickets numbers and about 6 Elvis numbers in there.
So, just thinking, if you send the bass over to me here in the UK I can check it out, live and on-stage for free, to see if it still works OK for you by playing the sort of stuff it did in the olden days when touring. ;)

Sound like a good idea to you, 1SHOT? :D
[/quote]

Absolutely, The bass is in the mail ;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333359624' post='1600393']
Forgive my ignorance, I read quite a lot of this saga a few weeks ago both here and TB but started to flag at the immenseness of it :) and glossed over some of it at the end and in doing so I've obviously missed out a part which leaves me with a massive plot hole that bugs my curiosity - the original owner has been traced but he simply doesn't want it back?
[/quote]

Some members tracked down the daughter of the original owner. She immediately said that when they moved her father out they made the choice to leave everything in the apartment behind and told the staff to do whatever with it.
I bought it from one of the guys that were going to throw it away.
She decided to contact me and again acknowledged that they were making no claims to the bass, she then told me that the bass wasn't that important and that what was important was the posters in the case, which was the only known photo of her father from his childhood.
She asked if I would be willing to part with a copy of the posters, Which I have already sent to her by email and plan to make life sized copies for her as well.
We talk at least once a week and she is being so cool as far as trying to get questions answered from her father. Which is cool because up until recently I was under the impression he was deceased.
She said she was happy that the bass wasn't trashed and that it ended up with someone who will appreciate it and the story.
She is also very happy that this situation has given her and her father a chance to bond and discuss his days playing in bands. She says it definitely brings joy to him to talk about it all.
In the end everyone is happy.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333357508' post='1600346']
I think it would look better with some stickers on it, to make it unique and sound louder. It's a pity the 1st April has passed off - surely someone has a cheap(er) pink Jazz, and we could have had some royal fun with Talkbass :lol:
[/quote]

I'm down we can always create a new modern April 1st How's the 11th work for you?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333445480' post='1601687']
In the words of the only Yorkshireman in Star Trek: make it so.
[/quote]

I could always photo shop a bunch of stickers on there.
Maybe a guitar Center sticker since that seems to be the absolute favorite store of everyone, lol

[quote name='1SHOT1HIT' timestamp='1333448760' post='1601724']
I could always photo shop a bunch of stickers on there.
Maybe a guitar Center sticker since that seems to be the absolute favorite store of everyone, lol
[/quote]
Yeah! - go on - do it, do it!
I'd offer to do it but I ain't got a clue about manipulating piccies.
I'll back you up as long as you take the stickies off before you post the bass to me for testing in the UK.