Why become a member? ×

Thinking of my first modifications!

tangodown87

hi all.

was just looking for some advice, thinking of upgrading the pickups and bridge on this squier p bass i picked up last year.

I was thinking of changing the pickups as ive heard good things about the wizard pickups. i play mostly with a pick and i go for a nice bright "trebeley"(if thats the word) tone but with some deep bass power behind it.

however, i am not too technically minded and have no idea what im doing, is this going to be difficult for me to figure out?

i appreciate any wisdom!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329552431' post='1544081']
what are the current pickups? they aren't the original.
[/quote] nah, there some emgs the previous owner put in

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329583994' post='1544552']
It does require the use of a soldering iron though. Do you know how to use one?
[/quote]
haha, i did electronics at school, i knew that would come in handy some day!

Ill start looking to into getting some now, anyone got an idea with bridges?

[quote name='tangodown87' timestamp='1329640412' post='1545044']
nah, there some emgs the previous owner put in

haha, i did electronics at school, i knew that would come in handy some day!

Ill start looking to into getting some now, anyone got an idea with bridges?
[/quote]
solder bridges or bass bridges?

[quote name='tangodown87' timestamp='1329642145' post='1545068']
just bass bridges to replace the existing one, i assume thats correct as i dont know what a solder bridge is...haha!
[/quote]

Good question. I suppose the "standard" fender replacement bridge would be a Badass. One of them comes with 5 screws (can't remember if it is the I or II) which is the one you would want to replace this one with. Otherwise you could look at something like a Hipshot or Gotoh bridge.

[quote name='tangodown87' timestamp='1329745533' post='1546605']
yeah i hear a lot about Badass', are they easy enough to fit also?
[/quote]

Pretty easy to fit. As I say, they make bridges which are pretty much a direct fender replacement, as in you just unscrew 5 screws, take the old bridge off, put the new one in and screw 5 screws back in. You may have to solder the ground wire onto the bridge but that does depend on the bass. Some of them just sit underneath the bridge.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I play 100% pick. I put Wizards (thumpers) in my Precision. Fatter bass and zingier top end. More grind too. I like them a lot. Should be right up your strasse.
I would think about fitting new pots and a jack at the same time. I wouldn't bother with a new bridge myself. I've got a bent bit of tin on one Precision and a badass II on the other. I swapped them to check once and it makes zero difference to my ears. Other people will disagree though and they do look chunky and cool.
Oh and a black scratchplate always looks more tasteful to me on a sunbusrst P.

+1 on the black scratchplate!

It's worth tracking kiogon down on this forum, he makes and sells wiring kits or basses and I've hears they are of extremely high quality.
So, grab one of those, stick in some wizard thumpers and you'll have a great sounding bass!
I agree that bridges add little to the overall sound, the only reason I'd ever buy a badass is because they look a bit cooler! Why not look at getting a nice vintage solid brass one and a nut to match? Might not make much difference tone wise, but it'll look wick!

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

Yeah, if you get one of KiOgon's, it's extremely easy to fit! I have 3 in different basses and they're great bits of kit and John's very nice to deal with.

I'd echo what people say about bridges - keep the one you've got. The hi-mass ones don't make any difference. I'm having to use one at the moment as a stand-in and it makes absolutely no difference to tone, sustain, etc.. Save your money! :)

Edited by Jerry_B