Why become a member? ×

String damping sponge?

TRBboy

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions about suitable material for a string damper by the bridge? Or maybe someone knows where you can buy one from........

I'm guessing the density is fairly important, and also the material. It needs to be able to stand up to the vibration of the strings, but also must be made of something that won't react with the strings in any way and degrade them.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1329512466' post='1543803']
Back in the day Fenders had a piece of neoprene under the bridge cover. The first thing everyone did after buying one was to remove it.
I suppose you could use some urethane foam, but my advise is to learn how to mute the strings with your hands.
[/quote]

Well I do palm mute sometimes if I'm using a pick, or if I want a softer more "old school" sound I palm mute and use my thumb instead of a pick (not very comfortable for long). What I want to achieve is that muted sound, but be able to play fully articulate fingerstyle. I don't have any issue with unwanted strings sounding, and my left hand technique is pretty good IMO.

Hope this makes sense! :D

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329512293' post='1543801']
I've used a bit of old cot mattress and it's doin great so far... got plenty left if you want some?
[/quote]

I would never have thought of that! Thanks for the offer, I'll give you a shout if I need some!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1329513002' post='1543820']
I would never have thought of that! Thanks for the offer, I'll give you a shout if I need some!
[/quote]

I've added a pic of how mine looks, lighting not great but you can see what's goin on...

Worth experimenting with different foams, some of the packing foam that comes in parcels, is plastic they tend to kill the sound, I found a very good foam out of an instrument carry case where you pull out sections of foam to fit, this allowed the strings to vibrate enough and damped them slowly. Another was a rubber cabinet door edging rubber strip. So keep experimenting to get the sound you want. Also alter the amount of foam so there is not too much pressure on the strings.

Edited by deepbass5

+1
Surely this is about as personal a thing as 'tone' - there's no right or wrong, just what you like best.

I'm sure different densities and sizes of foam will have differing effects but I can't see how anyone could say which is 'best' - only which one they liked the most.

So experiment away and have fun.

[quote name='Paul_C' timestamp='1329857359' post='1548705']
I messed about with a whole load of different density foam a couple of years ago, and the sound I liked the best was . . . . . . some rolled up kitchen towel.
[/quote]

Awesome, I'll have a try! It's certainly a cheap, easy solution!