Why become a member? ×

Silly question, how do you play the E string??

BassInMyFace

Hi folks me again, very quick question.
What is the accepted technique for playing low E string with right hand? You can't dig in and hit onto adjacent string cos there isn't one. Thumb on fingerboard and pull across a little gentler so as not to lose finger placement or is it acceptable to swivel round and use electric bass finger style technique?

The E string is so cool on upright but I feel its not getting as much love because when you dig in, your fingers flail off into space. Not a major issue obviously as I'm sure I'll find my way but am interested to hear your take on it.

Answers on a post card please......

Exactly that used to drive me crazy. Best tips on right hand technique for me were in Ed Friedland's Jazz Upright DVD, He advocates using the knuckle, virtually no finger tip at all, on the E string, and a twist of the wrist. Works very well and gives a nice fat sound.

Try and get hold of the Friedland; it's excellent.

Edited by fatback

I struggled with this a bit and Geoff Chalmers recommended a method of plucking that is a bit like snapping your fingers or turning a key - turning your elbow in towards your body so you're using your whole arm for the movement rather than just your wrist. Still if I give it some real welly my hand leaves the fingerboard completely but that's inevitable - just don't hit it so hard until you've got used to it and can get your hand back into position quickly and easily.

Rufus Reid recommends pretty much what has been said already. Thumb on the side of the fingerboard, pluck string with the side of the first finger and rotate the hand. He also recommends using the whole arm when plucking strings as he feels it gives a fuller sound. Also means you are spreading the weight through more than just your hand which means less chance of strains.

Interesting. This seems a natural approach to the problem. Wish there was another way though because the thud of the hit on the adjacent string sounds and feels great. Perhaps a raised lip at right angles to fingerboard to allow fingers to smack against?? I might mock up a removable one to see how feasible it would be. Probably nonsense but worth a try.

[quote name='BassInMyFace' timestamp='1329483048' post='1543103']
Interesting. This seems a natural approach to the problem. Wish there was another way though because the thud of the hit on the adjacent string sounds and feels great. Perhaps a raised lip at right angles to fingerboard to allow fingers to smack against?? I might mock up a removable one to see how feasible it would be. Probably nonsense but worth a try.
[/quote]

Like an outrigger? That's often occurred to me but I've never tried it yet. My basses are characterised by small scratches on the top of the body just off the fingerboard where sometimes my thumbnail lands after the e is plucked.

I've always gone for the same method as already mentioned. Had my bass bar readjusted recently and low E tone is righteous!

I reckon that it's always a good idea to revisit basic mechanics of bass playing (RH and LH) once in a while, to prevent bad habits taking hold. Actually way overdue for some shedding myself.

One thing that trips me up is using my middle finger on the E string, especially alternating with index. Never have much cause to play too fast down there, so never really worry about dloing it.....

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1329484937' post='1543170']

Like an outrigger? That's often occurred to me but I've never tried it yet. My basses are characterised by small scratches on the top of the body just off the fingerboard where sometimes my thumbnail lands after the e is plucked.
[/quote]

Indeed, I've had mine less than a week and those scratches have already started!

Just going it over in my head and can't think of a way to secure a lip without it becoming permanent. It would have to be very solid to actually work but can't think of a way to fix it without screwing/glueing. Probably a dead end but will have a think.....

If you focus on using the weight of the right arm, not using the actual power of the arm. You should be able leave the right hand thumb in contact with the side of the fingerboard almost the whole time. The thumb should only be resting, not pushing against the fingerboard.
Also as already mentioned there is a turn in the wrist. . So it's this turn combined with the arm weight, not pulling your whole arm.

The weight of the arm is also used on the other strings, but you obviously don't have a string to play back onto.

Remember to keep your neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand relaxed.

Hope this helps.
Geoff

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1329484937' post='1543170']
... My basses are characterised by small scratches on the top of the body just off the fingerboard where sometimes my thumbnail lands after the e is plucked.
[/quote]
I've discovered that my right-arm shirt cuff button can make similar scratches.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1330075323' post='1552211']
I've just picked up this great piece by Ray Brown. Just look what he's done to the table (top) just under the E string! Hope the link works.

[/quote]

Wow, he's wearing a hole in it.

Great vid. Ray Brown is #1 for me. :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330374252' post='1556486']
This thread was mentioned when I tried Happy Jack's double bass on Saturday, and had a quick lesson from Clarky. I am so glad I did that! Now I know for sure I never want to do it again, and a little bit of space in my brain is now free to use for something else :)
[/quote]
So that's my teaching career plans in ruins then!