Why become a member? ×

Drumcore or EZdrumer

Dropzone

Just got EZ drummer working. Thanks for the VSTi tip. Had a little moment to myself. Now comes some questions.
1. Can you vary the pace of the "groove"
2. Can you set the pace of a bar, as I am going to be recording or a midi keyboard and suspect my timing will be a little out.
3. I have the East West drumkit from hell2 expansion pack but it won't recognise it. Help

Many thnaks

Mike

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1330607479' post='1560228']
Just got EZ drummer working. Thanks for the VSTi tip. Had a little moment to myself. Now comes some questions.
1. Can you vary the pace of the "groove"
2. Can you set the pace of a bar, as I am going to be recording or a midi keyboard and suspect my timing will be a little out.
3. I have the East West drumkit from hell2 expansion pack but it won't recognise it. Help

Many thnaks

Mike
[/quote]

@1, Do you mean tempo? If so, In Reaper type the tempo you want into the BPM box to the right of the transport bar and the EZD midi files should automatically follow.

@2, Not sure what you mean, can you expand on that a little

@3.Again ,not sure as I don't actually use EZD much ( I got the lite version from the CM cover disc)

I've recently started using EZ Drummer in Cubase 5 after years of creating drum tracks with a combination of loops, battery and various other bits and pieces, and I think it's the business.

I've not tried much 'from scratch' programming with it, I would imagine this could be quite tricky to do convincingly, rather I have tended to use the existing grooves as a starting point and then cut them up, edited them, change the sounds around etc. to create what I'm after.

Not got any completed songs as yet, but am finding it a very useful addition to my system.

I am massively loving it and will be trying to buy a korg microkey tomorrow.

Thanks for the hint about the bpm in reaper. Is there a click track in reaper and how do you turn it on?

As the groove is the repeat of a bar, it is possible to have a bar of known length and propogate it. The bpm answer above may solve this, but I am not sure.

The Drumkit from hell will not paste into the file where I would expect it to go. It gets most of the way and then something fails and it all cancells.

Again many thanks

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1330621304' post='1560583']
I am massively loving it and will be trying to buy a korg microkey tomorrow.

. Is there a click track in reaper and how do you turn it
[/quote]

That'll be options > metronome/pre-roll. Here you can enable disable the click and also pre -roll (count in) - along with options to assign your own samples for click/drum sounds,etc

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1330617062' post='1560477']
I've recently started using EZ Drummer in Cubase 5 after years of creating drum tracks with a combination of loops, battery and various other bits and pieces, and I think it's the business.

I've not tried much 'from scratch' programming with it, I would imagine this could be quite tricky to do convincingly, rather I have tended to use the existing grooves as a starting point and then cut them up, edited them, change the sounds around etc. to create what I'm after.

Not got any completed songs as yet, but am finding it a very useful addition to my system.
[/quote]

I'll admit I'm not great at drum programming either but one of the best ways I've found to edit/combine groups of MIDI drum grooves etc is via the EZ Player Pro - it's very cheap for what it does at 39 Euros - see link below:

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=27

How you use it is once you have EZdrummer on one track - make sure it's 'armed' - i.e. ready to record - then open EZplayer Pro in another VST track alongside it - then use the browser within EZPlayer pro to navigate to you MIDI loops folder - BTW you can download tons of great ready made drum loops played by a proper drummer from the GrooveMonkee website http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/ - then once you have located your loops folder you can the 'audition' each of the files - be it a four bar pattern, fill or whatever - inside EZplayer Pro - once you've found a pattern you like you can simply drag and drop the MIDI file onto your EZDrummer track - keep doing this until you've built up an entire drum part - you can add fills at the end of 4 or 8 bar sequences - switch the feel from hats to ride and back again etc. The other cool thing with EZPlayer pro is that it allows you to split the drum MIDI loops into their component parts - i.e. hats, kick, snare etc - that you can then re-combine to make your own patters - it's well worth buying!

Re questions like tempo - groove etc - if you use a DAW like Reason, Logic, Cubase etc - the tempo is always set 'globally' from the transport bar - so if you are making a track at 100BPM then that's the tempo that your metronome will control things like EZdrummer, or any sequenced snyths or effects like delays etc - I hope that makes sense.

Hope all that helps....

All the drums on this track were done using Superior Drummer:

http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/track/boogie

Cheers

Mike

You can actually audition midi files for your chosen Drum sampler [or any Synth] within your DAW browser,
Most DAW's do this.
However like Urb said, EZdrummer pro will allow you to break down component parts.
But saying that, once again most DAW's will do this anyway.
Usually the command would be 'Dissolve Midi track' and that will split into the various component part.

Garry