Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some headphones....

sellisnba

Hi all
As the title say's i need some recommendations, I'm looking for some headphones for home practice. I'm looking to get a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones to practice at home with, i need them to be NC because when i practice the missus is usually watching tv and i can hear that more than anything :angry: , They need to be of good quality because my hearing isn't the best.
I have around £100 to spend, What can people recommend (please don't say beats, the other half has them and they are awful) :(
Thanks

There's always these from Superlux: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662_f.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd662_f.htm[/url]. Only £28 plus postage (around £7-8). Now that sounds too cheap for studio quality headphones but these reproduce sounds, especially bass, almost identically to my M-Audio BX5a studio reference monitors. A bit of research that my mate did revealed that Superlux make components for the likes of AKG, BeyerDynamics etc. (Although I'm not sure if they make them for those two brands, but they make them for brands of that calibre.) These are closed back and noise cancelling. I get snuck up on all the time when I'm wearing them...

Sennheiser HD-25-1. They are a little expensive at £149 but lordy are they worth it, and you can get pretty good volume out of them before anyone around you notices.

At a huge music retailer in Germany, called Saturn, I was able to audition about 50 sets of headphones, from £5 ones right up to £500 ones, all connected to the same sound source. It was amazing to hear the comparison between sets all playing the same music. I even went about £100 higher than the Sennheiser's but nothing beat them. Bought my set in 2002 and they're only now starting to need one speaker replaced and believe me, these has been thrashed around, dropped, crushed into bags and been given general dogs abuse over the last 10 years. A quality product.

Don't be confused tho by the lower priced Sennheiser Hd-25 S model - lot of reviews saying they're nowhere near as good.

I've a pair of Audio Technica over ear cans that are really sweet but they are open so no good to you. Try the hifi-headphones website that has good recommendations and gives you an idea of the cost too. Then (obviously) hunt for the best deal :)

[url="http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/"]http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/[/url]

We have had a few of these threads recently and the HD25-1 keep coming up. I was in the same boat as the OP and just before Christmas got myself a pair. What can I say, they tick all the rigt boxes and as they aren't overblown at the low end I find I can now hear things I've not heard before, other than outside noise.
I work in a print room and these have been a godsend.

The only regret I have is that there is a iPhone specific set coming out, with the remote in line, wish I had waited.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1329339338' post='1541012']
Sennheiser HD-25-1. They are a little expensive at £149 but lordy are they worth it, and you can get pretty good volume out of them before anyone around you notices.

At a huge music retailer in Germany, called Saturn, I was able to audition about 50 sets of headphones, from £5 ones right up to £500 ones, all connected to the same sound source. It was amazing to hear the comparison between sets all playing the same music. I even went about £100 higher than the Sennheiser's but nothing beat them. Bought my set in 2002 and they're only now starting to need one speaker replaced and believe me, these has been thrashed around, dropped, crushed into bags and been given general dogs abuse over the last 10 years. A quality product.

Don't be confused tho by the lower priced Sennheiser Hd-25 S model - lot of reviews saying they're nowhere near as good.
[/quote]

My mate Ian uses Sennheiser 25-1's. He's the front of house guy for porcupine Tree and various project bands headed up by Steve Wilson. He needs good isolation from the room when he works and his feeds are used for the live show releases. when you consider how much of a sonic purist Steve wilson is, Ian has to be accurate and he swears by the 25's.

I use a pair of HD 570's (the current equivalent is the HD595) they are full size jobs but strangely still of an open backed design. I like 'em cuz i can't feel comfortable with being totally cut-off from the room unless i can lock the door! The 570's still have the classic Sennheiser sound and I have no issues practising with them in the lounge with the telly on. Under a £100.....Just....worth a try...

I'd have to go with the Sennheiser recommendation. You'll find them in many video studios too...A lot of pro people use 'em.

Thanks for all he replys guys, I'm leaning towards the sennheiser at the moment. All the reviews have been good apart from they push the cans into you head a bit to much,
Has anyone had a problem with the headphones being uncomfortable?
Thanks

Edited by sellisnba

Ive not found them too uncomfortable but there is quite a bit of pressure when you first get them. They need to be pretty tight and do sit on the ear so i guess they arent everyone's cup of tea. I also have a pair of Senn HD215's and these sit over the ear and when i use these they now feel too loose as im used to the HD25.
Mine loosened up pretty quickly and now i can easily watch a film with them on without any discomfort.
I do find my ears sweat a bit after my walk to work with the standard ear pieces on, but mine also came with the softer velour ones.
Be aware that there are a few different versions around, i'd avoid the cheaper SP versions as they use different drivers and have a different headband. Nothing wrong with that but if you can stretch the budget a bit more you can get the full blown versions and i dont think any of us here are talking about the SP version.
As Gareth said, The HD25-1 basic edition can be had for around £140. By Basic it just means no extras.

Edited by dave_bass5

I don't know if you've spotted this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167982-headphones/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167982-headphones/[/url]

I beleive the V6s are well regarded but have no personal experience.