Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF500 or Micro SVT?

Truckstop

Hello all,

I want an Ampeg head to go with my cab because it's always nice to have matching stuff innit?

I was wondering what people's opinions are of the two. PF500 appeals to me because of the power rating, but the micro SVT looks wicked. It's a tricky one as new there's really not much in the way of price difference!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Alex

I`ve not tried the Micro, Alex, but I have a PF500 and it`s a great amp. Instead of going through it all on this post, I`ve placed a review on Basschat about the amp. I`ve just spent a day in the studio with it, I paired it with the 410 version of the 210 cab you have, and it sounded sooooo sweet.

Edited by Lozz196

Thinking about it, in the studio today, with the PF through the SVT410HE (98 dB sensitivity), I was on 5/6 on volume. The PF is 300 watts at 8 ohms. The Micro is 150 watts at 8 ohms.

So putting the Micro through an Ampeg 210HE (97 dB sensitivity), if your drummer is loud, I think you`d be running it virtually flat out. The PF would have much more headroom.

Guest valves4ever

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1328980258' post='1535643']
Hello all,

I want an Ampeg head to go with my cab because it's always nice to have matching stuff innit?

I was wondering what people's opinions are of the two. PF500 appeals to me because of the power rating, but the micro SVT looks wicked. It's a tricky one as new there's really not much in the way of price difference!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Alex
[/quote]Hi....I took delivery of the PF-500 head last week along with the Portaflex 115 cab, only used it in the studio so far but intial impressions are good....seems well built and versatile, plenty of power and good tone range.....cooling fan is a little loud but no louder then others that I have come across.....I'd say it's good value for the money if it proves reliable and will have been a good choice....

my last amp was a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo and this again was good but did run out of steam live without an extension cab......the Ampeg seems to have more clout in my opinion.......

buy one online and if you don't like it you've got 7 days grace to send it back and have a refund....

Edited by valves4ever

I've owned both of these. The PF500 is a great 5kg package. I understand some users have had cutting out issues, but mine never missed a beat into either a single or pair of 8ohm speakers. Plenty of useful facilities and the compressor actually did the job quite nicely. Not really my tone in the end, so off she went.

The Micro VR is more basic, but so classic to look at and brilliantly simple to use. I preferred it's tone to the PF500 to be honest. It's rated at 200w into 4 ohms, and that was quite usable through a pair of 15" speakers to get the air moving - but not much headroom above that. I've heard the output is nearer 260W, according to the Bass Gear Magazine test.

Either way, I no longer own either of these (the PF500 went first, I struggled to part with the Micro VR but in the end I needed to free up some cash). I'm not helping much - but if I was doing it again, I'd check the PF350 out - allegedly the same preamp as the Micro VR, but with a 350W class D output stage.

Cheers

Geoff