Why become a member? ×

Fretless Precision project...

Jerry_B

Cheers chaps! Once it's finally all done and dusted I''ll post some better pics. Having played it for another hour or so, it's definitely growing on me! It just feels like a very solid bass. The only other one I have that feels like that is my T-40 ;-)

Well, I bit the bullet again and put on the Chromes last night (they're ECB81s - .045 to .100). Depsite forgetting that when they're new they're very zingy and a bit inflexible, after a few hours playing that settled in. Playing the bass for a few hours solid has convinced me totally that this is just the right bass for me. Compared to my other fretlesses, it's just ticking more boxes. The Maya's very nice, but maybe not as solid all round in terms of tone because of the maple fingerboard. The Jazz is maybe a little slicker as it has such a skinny shallow neck profile, but try as I might I can't really buy into the Jazz tone. It just seems a little reedy compared to the chunkiness of a Pbass.

Anyway, pretty much all good so far then! When the proper scratchplate turns up I'm going to see if I can put a shim down the side of the neck pocket, as the neck is still slightly skewed. This doesn't effect tone or playability but I just like things to be 'just so' ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329662921' post='1545470']
Lovely job. :)
I've been contemplating doing something like this for some time now. Need to check funds first & maybe buy a bit at a time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I went down the piecemeal route. I couldn't afford to buy everything at once. The only annoying part of the whole process was to have tiny bits be wrong just when everything seemed to be all ready to go ;-) I imagine that I'll still want to tweak it once in a while as I wear it in, but for now it all seems fine and was definitely worth doing.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1329666455' post='1545525']
Wow that is a really nice looking fretless.

I love the Jazz too by the way :)

I have a Jazz fretless and a fretted one too!

I still have not even played a P yet.

If they look as good as yours then I may do yet!

Can you post a recording?
[/quote]

Cheers :-D I don't have anything to record with, unfortunately. If you've heard a Pbass with an 'Original' series pup in it, that'd give you a fairly good idea. Just mix in a dose of mahogany-based warmth. That makes a difference, compared to the rosewood of my Jazz and the laquered maple of my Maya. Not huge amounts, but it's there nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - the new scratchplate and bridge have arrived and been added. I will upload some pics once there's a sunny day. In the meantime, I've also acquired a Tokai Hardpuncher neck from a fellow basschatter, and it fits the body pretty well. It's slightly smaller in the pocket, but not anything remarkable from more than anything but very close distance. I got the Tokai neck just as a backup should I want to dabble in fretted things again - and I like all-black with maple :lol: