Why become a member? ×

Gator rack cases, poor quality or i am just unlucky

thebassman

Hi Guys

I thought i would share my recent experiences with these cases.
I bought a Gator GR-2S, 2 U rack case to house my Mesa Boogie M6 head.
I only use my amp maybe once or twice a week, depending on gigs.

The 1st case i used for approx. 2 months and had to return it as one of the butterfly latches kept undoing. I would load it into the car and by the time i arrived at my destination the lid had fallen off.

The 2nd one lasted less than a month. I lifted it out of the car and one of the handles fell off. Luckily i saved it before it hit the floor.

[attachment=99469:IMG_0158.JPG]

I bought these cases from Thomann and, being a good company, they replace or refund without any hassle.

I now refuse to use this product anymore, i shall be looking at SKB in the future.

cheers

thebassman

Edited by thebassman

That handle does look rather poor. I've used a lot of gator shallow cases, but only 3U upwards so they've had the proper solid handles. Not being a fan of SKB, I'd suggest moving up to a GR-3S and putting a power conditioner in the spare space. Proper handles and clean power - bonus!

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1328784129' post='1532511']
That handle does look rather poor. I've used a lot of gator shallow cases, but only 3U upwards so they've had the proper solid handles. Not being a fan of SKB, I'd suggest moving up to a GR-3S and putting a power conditioner in the spare space. Proper handles and clean power - bonus!
[/quote]

+1 to all of this.

I use only Gator cases (2 x 4U plus 1 x 6U) and I've never had a problem with any aspect of them ... which is why I use them, of course.

All my cases have moulded handles; there's nothing to break or fall off.

My only real criticism of Gator butterfly catches is that they mount them on on the body of the case, rather than the lid. This means that they buzz and rattle like crazy if they're part of your stage rig (as mine are) so I have to rubber-band them together to stop that. A minor irritant.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1328823701' post='1533421']
I tend to find some of the cheaeper plastic cases warp a tad... not enough to be unusable...just that they aren't that great a product, IMO.

Cheap Chinese tat that does a job...just..!!
[/quote]

Yep, regret buying a Citronic - already slightly out of shape, but more annoying (as I don't play at loud enough volume to drown it out), the thing rattles like mad!

I will definately be buying a case with moulded handles in the future.

As Happy jack said, putting the butterfly latches on the body was a bad design idea. Not only do they rattle when sat on top of my cab, the lid falls off when you undo the latches....... just doesn't make any sense.

You live and learn, thankfully Thomann have a no hassle returns policy.

cheers

thebassman