Why become a member? ×

91 Warwick Dolphin Pro I

warwickhunt

With regard to Warwicks I'm only keeping a couple Streamers and my Infinettes so this (and the cursed blue Streamer Laughing ) is available!

If you are even considering this then you should be well familiar with the spec'. I've just stripped, cleaned, fret-dressed, set-up and restrung the bass (EMP 45 - 105) and it's looking good for a new home. No nasty buckle-rash and only the lightest of marks I suppose the 2 string marks forward of the neck pup are worthy of mention (see pics).

I'm not prepared to haggle on the price (£1000) but I am open to offers of trades for interesting basses, amps or cabs ie Modulus/Zon (and... cough possibly a Sunburst P bass), Glockenklang/Aguilar, Acme/Berg?BFM (must be light-weight and 10's). Obviously trades would need to be UK based but I am prepared to ship the bass for a straight sale.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='170821' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:15 PM']Phwoar! Mr. Hunt, that looks stunning!..What do you clean your fretboard(s) with?[/quote]

The fingerboard was finished with Lemon-Oil and that pic was taken just after I'd polished the frets but prior to buffing the whole board.

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='170824' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:23 PM']Awesome Job....hmm, Lemon Oil you say? :brow: ..*runs out to get some*..
[b]
Cursed Streamer still hauntin' ya heh?[/b] :)[/quote]

:huh: No I've actually grown to love its blueness and I may well have an offer on my orange bass so this may be the Stage I that I keep... strange twist of fate!

Cool looking Dolphin, I'm not much of a Warwick fan (sorry!) but have always thought the Dolphin was a really funky looking "rock-bass". I've always imagined people playing them slung low on the strap and with a really aggressive action!

[quote name='molan' post='170869' date='Apr 6 2008, 07:14 PM']Cool looking Dolphin, I'm not much of a Warwick fan (sorry!) but have always thought the Dolphin was a really funky looking "rock-bass". I've always imagined people playing them slung low on the strap and with a really aggressive action![/quote]

James Lomenzo is a Dolphin user but they work really well for Funk, among other styles (he says trying not to alienate a prospective customer base :) ), the guy in the Brand New Heavies was an endorse. The wider string spacing makes thumbing/slapping etc a breeze.

[quote name='Beedster' post='170987' date='Apr 6 2008, 09:24 PM']Check out my 73/74 Precision John (BVasses for Sale). I'm in the mood for a change - I have 6 Precisions after all - and I like the sound of the words 'funk' and 'wide string spacing' above
Chris[/quote]

You do realise Chris that I have to ask what your P bass (accurately) weighs!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='171059' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:14 PM']You do realise Chris that I have to ask what your P bass (accurately) weighs![/quote]

Early 70s Precision. Says it all about weight really.... :)
Not the heavist Precision I've owned but still a heavy bass John.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='171120' date='Apr 7 2008, 06:56 AM']Early 70s Precision. Says it all about weight really.... :)
Not the heavist Precision I've owned but still a heavy bass John.
Chris[/quote]

I realise it'll be the bathroom scales again Chris but can you give me a weight ;)

I've got a potential buyer in France but I'm not counting any chickens or should that be 'Ne comptez pas vos poulets jusqu'à ce qu'ils hachent' :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='170875' date='Apr 6 2008, 07:26 PM']James Lomenzo is a Dolphin user but they work really well for Funk, among other styles (he says trying not to alienate a prospective customer base :) ), the guy in the Brand New Heavies was an endorse. The wider string spacing makes thumbing/slapping etc a breeze.[/quote]

BNH eh? How cool, I really like some of their stuff!

Sounds to me like you need to trade for a nice super lightweight Kubicki really, only 7.5 lbs. . . . . . . :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='171653' date='Apr 7 2008, 06:06 PM']I realise it'll be the bathroom scales again Chris but can you give me a weight ;)

I've got a potential buyer in France but I'm not counting any chickens or should that be 'Ne comptez pas vos poulets jusqu'à ce qu'ils hachent' :huh:[/quote]

Trust me on this mate, I'd love to give that lovely looking Warwick a try but your physiotherapist would be busy for months :)

However.....

I have a black/maple/tort Precision with added Jazz PUP (SD SBP3 and SD SJB1). The neck is 1978 Fender Precision maple/maple B-Neck to die for (you're aware of my maple Precision neck fetish by now), the body is some form of composite and it is light as a feather, seriously. Currently has a BADASS II and rounds, stacked vol/tone for each PUP which is a nice touch also. Produces some good sounds and plays well. It doesn't have the sheer bottom end thud of my heavier Precisions but it is a pretty good bass all the same AND WEIGHS NOTHING.... I've only just built it and although I'd like to keep it, it's tonally very similar to my Fullerton '57 which I prefer and which has a fatter neck. I was going to take apart and sell as seperates but might be tempted to part if you want a light Precision. Think it would have to be a play before buy for you though as I've not tested it loud in a band setting

Chris

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='170875' date='Apr 6 2008, 07:26 PM']James Lomenzo is a Dolphin user but they work really well for Funk, among other styles (he says trying not to alienate a prospective customer base :) ), the guy in the Brand New Heavies was an endorse. The wider string spacing makes thumbing/slapping etc a breeze.[/quote]

Been wracking my poor old mental faculties to try and remember who Warwick had as an early endorsee of the Dolphin - was it TM Stevens by any chance?

One of the few bass men out there who could claim to be both "rock" & "funk" so that would kinda fit the Dolphin bill :huh:

[quote name='molan' post='171888' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:02 PM']Been wracking my poor old mental faculties to try and remember who Warwick had as an early endorsee of the Dolphin - was it TM Stevens by any chance?

One of the few bass men out there who could claim to be both "rock" & "funk" so that would kinda fit the Dolphin bill :)[/quote]

TMS was a Streamer man, amongst others Francis Bucholz of the Scorpions played Streamers and Dolphins!

[quote name='Beedster' post='171836' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:18 PM']Trust me on this mate, I'd love to give that lovely looking Warwick a try but your physiotherapist would be busy for months :)

However.....

I have a black/maple/tort Precision with added Jazz PUP (SD SBP3 and SD SJB1). The neck is 1978 Fender Precision maple/maple B-Neck to die for (you're aware of my maple Precision neck fetish by now), the body is some form of composite and it is light as a feather, seriously. Currently has a BADASS II and rounds, stacked vol/tone for each PUP which is a nice touch also. Produces some good sounds and plays well. It doesn't have the sheer bottom end thud of my heavier Precisions but it is a pretty good bass all the same AND WEIGHS NOTHING.... I've only just built it and although I'd like to keep it, it's tonally very similar to my Fullerton '57 which I prefer and which has a fatter neck. I was going to take apart and sell as seperates but might be tempted to part if you want a light Precision. Think it would have to be a play before buy for you though as I've not tested it loud in a band setting

Chris[/quote]

I'll do a quick scan of the forum for details of this 'P'stein but if you can shoot me more info we'll see what happens :huh:

Ah! Tried the P bass out and it was... poorly. Pup was weak to say the least and though I know necks can have a bit of give in the pocket, this had several mm of travel in all 4 planes :huh:

I tried to tighten the neck screws but they were stripped and the owner wasn't keen on my removing the neck (if I'd given it a good hard tug I could have separated the two)... next please :)

I know all of these faults are fairly easily remedied but TBH the guy was wanting top whack for his bass and with a neck that has patently been on and off so many times, I'd have doubts that it ever started life on that bass; not good for an 'original' early 70's P bass ;)