Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp (Orange/Matamp) into a Barefaced Compact

danweb22

Hi,

Never had a valve amp before, tried an Orange AD200b and was very impressed.

I see it puts out 200w (into 4 or 8ohms is that right?) and I was wondering whether anyone has tried it through a Barefaced Compact?

I only have the one compact so would the AD200b be powerful enough to drive it? Enough gigging volume? (5 piece rock covers)

Also same question with the Matamp GT200

Cheers! :)

Matamp GT200 will be enough into a Compact. The Orange has a theme of sounding amazing if its your first big valve amp. They aren;t even close to a Matamp. The output is the same as long as the impedance switch is in the right place, but there are a few accounts of the Orange AD200 not making its stated output when tested, might have beeen fixed on the new ones though.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Try both amps first. I have personally tried a few different all tube amps, like the normal Ampeg CL and VR, and luckily they had an Orange AD200 Mk3 on hand to A/B them.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The Orange, IMO, ticked all the boxes. It just seemed to be a much more 'exciting' tone compared to the Ampeg, which sounded quite dull, and was when Ampeg had problems with their Vietnamese untis. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have heard of Matamps superior build, but its is down to personal taste. Each unit is usually built around that customers needs, so some won't sound like what you want. I tried out a bands Matamp (GT200 I presume) and the drive on it definitely wasn't for me, but it did sound good, and looked superb. There is a youtube clip with a demo just of the GT200, and that again didn't excite me in terms of dirt/tube grind. I pretty much know for a fact that if I went to Matamp, which I might do in the future, they could build it so that drive is SPOT on.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]In terms of volume, they are all loud. I used my AD200b Mk3 with an Orange OBC115 and NOTHING else with a P bass with an extremely heavy hardcore band, and it sounded stunning. The whole band said 'that low end is insane'....it just buzz sawed through the mix (because I cranked the gain to 2/3) and also provided a fat pillow to the quite 'toppy' sounding guitars.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This makes me want to go home and play it....[/font]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1328483604' post='1528007']
Matamp GT200 will be enough into a Compact. The Orange has a theme of sounding amazing if its your first big valve amp. They aren;t even close to a Matamp. The output is the same as long as the impedance switch is in the right place, but there are a few accounts of the Orange AD200 not making its stated output when tested, might have beeen fixed on the new ones though.
[/quote]

nah they use a transformer with the wrong primary so it only does about 160W

I've used a compact with a GT200 and it sounds fine, will likely be loud enough to play with a band (depends on how loud your band is)

Only issue is the compact will vibrate a GT200 considerably when on top, to the point where is could fall off (size of compact stood upright won't sit a GT200 properly so it's wood on wood and the vibrations transfer more easily)

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1328634670' post='1530440']
I've used a compact with a GT200 and it sounds fine, will likely be loud enough to play with a band (depends on how loud your band is)

Only issue is the compact will vibrate a GT200 considerably when on top, to the point where is could fall off (size of compact stood upright won't sit a GT200 properly so it's wood on wood and the vibrations transfer more easily)
[/quote]

Hmmm yeah I noticed the GT200 width was a bit wider than the top of the compact! Could be a problem! :lol: Mind you the Orange is similar width is it not?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1328651588' post='1530809']
Personally I prefer the Orange aswell like MM20.

Mainly for it's simplicity, very plug and go and it breaks up the way I like. Unfortunatly it lacks the power unless you are running a few speakers.
[/quote]

This is what I was worried about, I don't want to get anymore speakers really