Why become a member? ×

Radiohead

steve-soar

That performance was aces!

Here it is on iplayer:
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009phy3.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009phy3.shtml[/url]

(iplayer is excellent!)

I'm a huge radiohead fan. I've adored everything they've done since The Bends. Not trying to argue with you, Marky, but I find it weird that Pablo Honey was by the same band - to me that album seems so mediocre, like any other jangly indie rock of the time. The bends blew my head off hen I first heard it, it as like nothing else. In my opinion radiohead are the greatest band in the world at the moment.

For me they peaked with Ok Computer, and then if they'd combined the best tracks off Kid A and Amnesiac they would have had a record to rival it. I don't rate the last two records at all. The bends has a few good tracks but I find it average myself. It got me into Radiohead though and Planet Telex is amazing. Most of their B sides from the Bends/OK Computer period put the last 2 records to shame IMO.

Edited by Wil

I'm ashamed to say that i've not listened to much of in rainbows yet. I loved them on johnathon ross.

I've loved Radiohead since OK computer - my mates all loved Pablo Honey and The Bends but they're a bit stale for me - even though there's some great songs on there. Hail to the Theif, Amnesiac, Kid A, and OK computer are all my favorite albums (I don't have a "favorites chart", but I listen to these a lot).

One of the most innovative, interesting bands of recent times. I'm a late-comer to Radiohead, never really got them before until I really listened to them. Absolutely fantastic. Also they blew me away live too.... So many good tunes.... my faves are Pyramid Song and Sail to the moon.... Lush!

Pyramid Song has to be one of the most beautifully dark songs ever written. I remember being incredibly excited about what was reported as "Egyptian Song" in the press before Kid A came out, as I was a massive Radiohead fan at that time, and being really disappointed when it was left off the record!

[quote name='cetera' post='171016' date='Apr 6 2008, 10:09 PM']Nice guitar playing, dull song, dreadful singer..... sorry, I just DON'T get it....[/quote]

I'm with you on this one, always found them wildly overrated. OK computer remains one of my most disappointing purchases of all time having read and heard good things about it and the band in advance.

Ok Computer is a masterpiece. I must have listened to it every night for a year or more when I first bought it, it's a absolutely stupendiously good record!

Kid A I can understand being an aquired taste. The best description I've heard of it was "I bought this to hear the next OK Computer, not Thom Yorke playing a keyboard with a sausage". I love bits of it though, Everything in its Right Place, Kid A, Optomistic, Idioteque, all great IMO.

[quote name='crez5150' post='171384' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:13 PM']I guess it's the Marmite factor..... you love them or hate them.... I'm the same with U2 and Oasis[/quote]

Aye, I don't mind the odd bit of U2 but Oasis are IMHO quite dreadful....

[quote name='cetera' post='171461' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:25 PM']Aye, I don't mind the odd bit of U2 but Oasis are IMHO quite dreadful....[/quote]

[quote name='Liam Gallagher' post='171461' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:25 PM']Yo can stick your opinion where the sun downt shyyyyiiiiiiiiiiine.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='171385' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:19 PM']Have to agree that the first three albums were great...when KID A came out it was just unlistenable rubbish.

What's the last album like?....any good?[/quote]

Given that:
You liked OK Computer but thought Kid A was tosh

I'd say:
You'll be underwhelmed.

It's got a lot of both albums in it.
I love Colin Greenwood's playing on The National Anthem. And How To Disappear..... And Morning bell's great stuttering finish. Great bass playing.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='171506' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:58 PM']Given that:
You liked OK Computer but thought Kid A was tosh

I'd say:
You'll be underwhelmed.

It's got a lot of both albums in it.
I love Colin Greenwood's playing on The National Anthem. And How To Disappear..... And Morning bell's great stuttering finish. Great bass playing.[/quote]

As far as I know, on the record, Thom played bass on The National Anthem.

I love the bass playing at the end of Optimistic, the last chorus and the breakbeat bit afterwards :)

Seeing Radiohead live in Warrington on the 'Big Top' tour (they were touring Kid A if memory serves) rates as one of my more disappointing live experiences. I spent about hour standing there listening to what to me was aimless keyboard-heavy noodling when I was suddenly completely blown away by one particular song. Turned out to be a cover of Can's 'The Thief'. Make of that what you will...

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='172240' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:17 PM']Thom Yorke needs a slap. Pretentious, wonky eyed git. Try writing some music that people actually like listening to for a change.[/quote]
Do you buy albums you don't like listening to? I suppose it's another form of your masochistic kinky-freak streak!

Edited by cheddatom