Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to re-cover a speaker cab?

rapscallion

It really depends on how well stuck down it was.

The actual recovering part is dead easy (a cross between wallpapering and wrapping a present) but scraping off bits of torn tolex and glue remnants with a stanley knife blade took me ages on a Roland Cube 60 I had many years ago.

Never tried using one for this, but maybe a hot air gun would make it come off easier?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1328190796' post='1523305']
As Icastle states, a hot air gun will help and perhaps a mild chemical for dissolving/softening the glue.
If you can`t wallpaper, don`t attempt tolex.
There are suprisingly few people offering this as a service.
[/quote]

Spot-on, these guys are the only ones I could find when I was looking into this

http://www.guitaraid.co.uk/

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1328192393' post='1523348']
Another thing that might work for removing tolex is a hot iron. Just sit it on each part for a minute or so & it should peel fine.
I'd then look outside the box & cover the cab with fur fabric. :D
[/quote]

Worked for me, put brown paper betwen the iron and the tolex though. Cord carpet is cheap and would look good, lots of colours as well.

Edited by BRANCINI

There's a few tutorials online if you google about for it. I had a look a few weeks back as I've got a custom made 2x10 thats carpet covered with an ugly metal grill, and I was thinking of giving it tolex and a sliver grill cloth to smarten it up. The videos make it look easy, but I think the trick is in the measuring/cutting. You can get away with a lot more if you're putting corner protectors on, but if you want the corners left natural then the folding/cutting has to be a bit cleverer to cover the joins.

Here's a vid of a guy doing a snazzy job on a Peavey 5150 with white tolex, should give you an idea of how tricky it is.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7rDs4F4qs[/media]