Why become a member? ×

Satellite back in orbit....

Shaggy

Just a quickie “knee trembler” of a project this one;

Despite having a silly number of fairly nice vintage basses, I’ve recently been converted to just how good a decent budget bass can be, and what a relief it is not having to worry about it when gigging – especially dodgy venues with all the band gear stuffed into a VW van! Last year or so I’ve been gigging with a Squier MB (P / J) bass, a really nice little bass, especially after upgrading the p/ups with Bartolinis.

Anyway – only three weeks ago or so our own Dan 2112 advertised a 1980’s Satellite “Precison” neck-thru bass project on BC – complete bass minus p/ups and electrics, in good nick bar a few odd screw holes here and there. Caught my eye as (1) I can’t resist ogling an out-and-out ‘80’s bass – my era!!! (2) it reminded me very much of the only bass I ever bought new – an Ibanez Musician (like Sting’s) bought from Hessey’s of Liverpool in 1980, and (3) unusually for that type of bass it had a maple fingerboard, which I’ve always had a soft spot for. All for a mere £50!
Resolutely decided not to go for it initially, then pulled the trigger almost too late, but in the end had the bass off Dan (an absolute gent by the way) who only lives just up the M4 from me in Ker-diff. Nice one the Blues this week incidentally….!

Well, I remember Satellites as being fairly nasty, at the lower end of budget Japcrap at the time (early ‘80’s); but this had to be one of their better efforts – since researched their neck-thru guitars and basses and they were clearly a cut above the rest of the range; not up the standard of my old Ibby Musician, but not at all far short. Very nice maple neck-thru with walnut or rosewood stringers and that instantly familiar neck profile (I also own a ’65 Fender P), brass nut, and stained ash body wings. No lightweight – as I certainly remember the Ibby - which doesn’t bother me too much as most of my basses are heavy old girls.

So – potential options:
1. Leave as is is, fit a DiMarzio p/up with crème covers for Full Monty ‘80’s-tastic look. Already got a P-bass circuit and decent bridge in my parts drawer (that’s parts, not pants ok…..)
2. Leave as is, fit the Bart P p/up from out of the Squier – probably my favourite “hi-fi” passive P p/up. (with P circuit and decent bridge as above)
3. Route for an additional “J” p/up, fit both the Bart P & J p/ups. In terms of tonal versatility, definitely preferred to above. Normally I’d baulk at modding a vintage bass so radically, but at the end of the day it’s £50 Japcrap and I’m sorting a bass specifically to gig.
4. As (3) but fully strip the bass to remove the dark lacquer on body wings, refin in clear natural so it would be more similar to an Aria SB. Undoubtedly would look better (I’m not a fan of dark woods), but a major faff and the existing poly finish is in excellent nick.

After a bit of humming and ha-ing – option 3 seemed to offer best results for not too much effort, and zero additional cost apart from sorting a twin p/up circuit.

Been a few years since I’d done any routing; with typical impatience did freehand rather than using a jig, reasonably pleased with results. Filled and stained the screwholes on the front (for thumbrest, p/up and bridge covers), and T-cut the finsh which made a huge improvement – the back of the neck is glass-smooth.
Fitted p/ups, the P circuit (so only the P p/up operational at the moment, but J p/up otherwise fully installed), and knobs (again from parts drawer). I’d bought a chunky ‘80’s brass bridge off ebay for authenticity; unfortunately the fingerboard sits quite low over the body so the brass bridge was too high. I already had a “high mass” type chrome one that was an improvement on the existing perfectly serviceable BBOT one; even that had to have the saddles adjusted almost as low as they’d go. Note mish-mash of bridge fixing screws in pics; will get some decent ones in!

Strung her up (D’Addario pro-steels), bit of tweaking of the bridge – no need to touch the truss-rod, and fired her up!
Result? Very very impressed; feels exactly like what it is – a heavy Precision bass, and therefore like slipping on an old comfortable pair of shoes. Soundwise it certainly has the depth and punch of a Precision, but with that body/neck construction, tonewoods, brass nut and heavy bridge it has that big, open, “ringing” tone I’ve only previously heard on my ’76 Alembic Series 1, almost like a grand piano but with that underlying tiger-like growl. Can’t wait to sort the circuit and get that J p/up hooked up too.
Taking for first gig tonight, think this’ll be a keeper for a good while.

Thanks fellas, I can see why some BC-ers get hooked on basses like these! She was great on the gig too, felt quite nostalgic somehow

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1328021063' post='1520402']
nice looking Bass
i am of the rare breed that likes Basses without a sctratch plate just think it looks more sleak & clean
[/quote]

Being one of those even rarer breed who like Gibson basses I tend to agree with that, however; the styling of any Fender bass or guitar is defined by its scratchplate, the MM Stingray even more so, and the Ric 4001 / 3 one is naff but ....somehow totally right

[quote name='dan2112' timestamp='1328060995' post='1521334']
Daaaam Greg, that looks fantastic!! did you manage to get the sheered screw out?
[/quote]

No - it's not really a problem, and I'm planning on changing the bridge at some point so may not even use that screw-hole
Thanks again for the deal - did you find that MusicMan you were after?

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1328084487' post='1521400']
Just noticed that my one has has through body stringing and yours doesn't, I wonder if that was something Satalite added or took away at some point during production or mine has been modified at some point.
[/quote]

That's interesting - definitely a question for Bassassin!!!

Funnily enough the ebay bridge I got for it is a thru-body stringing only unit, and looking at it again I reckon the string height won't be the issue I thought it would be. Think that could be the next mod....

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1328119791' post='1522184']
No - it's not really a problem, and I'm planning on changing the bridge at some point so may not even use that screw-hole
Thanks again for the deal - did you find that MusicMan you were after?
[/quote]

Yeah I got it...and sold it this morning. Really fancy a gibson bass of some sort. PReferably a grabber

[quote name='dan2112' timestamp='1328123630' post='1522255']

Yeah I got it...and sold it this morning. Really fancy a gibson bass of some sort. PReferably a grabber
[/quote]

That Grabber that Rob's selling you've got your eye on is an absolute cracker, and he's a great guy to deal with. If I could only have one Gibson though......would have to be a thunderbird...

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1328120070' post='1522193']
That's interesting - definitely a question for Bassassin!!!

Funnily enough the ebay bridge I got for it is a thru-body stringing only unit, and looking at it again I reckon the string height won't be the issue I thought it would be. Think that could be the next mod....
[/quote]

That's the same as the bridge on mine except I don't think there's any brass it's all chrome, I don't keep that bass here at home so can't check for sure, I have thought about changing it as it's quite large.