Why become a member? ×

Editing EZDrummer looped midi notes in Reaper - Arrgh!

xilddx

I can't seem to add a cymbal in an EZDrummer loop without it adding the same midi note to each repeat of the loop. It's driving me nuts! :)

I dragged a loop to the track, then dragged it to repeat 4 times, and I want to add a cymbal at the beginning of the set.

I can't figure out how though. In every YT vid I see, they are able to do this. But none of those vids use Reaper. Can Reaper do this?

Help!

Cheers :)

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1327764912' post='1516461']
A double click on the MIDI event and then a double click where you want the cymbal crash works for me ;)
[/quote]

Thanks mate. It adds a MIDI event to every repeated loop :( Maybe there is an option to turn off 'Add to each repeat' or something, but I can't find anything to that effect.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1327765634' post='1516485']
Thanks mate. It adds a MIDI event to every repeated loop :( Maybe there is an option to turn off 'Add to each repeat' or something, but I can't find anything to that effect.
[/quote]

Hmm strange. I just tried it, I added a loop and then extended it over several more bars, it does indeed add to all. But if I add to the end bar it doesn't. Odd ! Must be a preferences thing...

Only option, without reading up that I can think of, is to add a loop twice. Once for the one you want a crash, and a second time to stretch over several bars. I'll have more of a play when I have time and check for some reason for this behaviour.

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1327768760' post='1516530']
Hmm strange. I just tried it, I added a loop and then extended it over several more bars, it does indeed add to all. But if I add to the end bar it doesn't. Odd ! Must be a preferences thing...

Only option, without reading up that I can think of, is to add a loop twice. Once for the one you want a crash, and a second time to stretch over several bars. I'll have more of a play when I have time and check for some reason for this behaviour.
[/quote]
Strange isn't it.

You workaround works, I can't imagine one can't switch this off though.

Thanks so much for helping!

It's an option in Reaper... go to Options > Preferences, then select Midi under the Media section. There's a tickbox (third one down) called Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items. If it's ticked, then untick it. What it does is use any edits to the original loop and apply them to every copied instance. Quite useful but not in your case! You can tell that a loop is pooled as they have an icon next to them in the track view.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1327923509' post='1518692']
It's an option in Reaper... go to Options > Preferences, then select Midi under the Media section. There's a tickbox (third one down) called Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items. If it's ticked, then untick it. What it does is use any edits to the original loop and apply them to every copied instance. Quite useful but not in your case! You can tell that a loop is pooled as they have an icon next to them in the track view.
[/quote]

Wickid!

This will greatly improve my mood and work rate! I will check this out when I get home.

Mornats, and badass, thank you so much!

No worries, I had the opposite problem to you. I had a copied midi loop that had a lower velocity than the original despite the values being the same. No matter how many times I'd copied and pasted it, it wouldn't remain the same (it had no automations on it either so nothing else was affecting the volume or velocity) so checking that box fixed it for me.

I don't use reaper, but in Logic there are two types of copies of MIDI data regions.

The first is a standard copy that once copied behaves like an independent region and any changes you make to it affect that region only.

The second is always linked to the original region and any changes made to either will affect the other and any other copies made this way.

In Logic the linked copies always show their region names in italics.

I'm guessing that Reaper works in a similar way, but somehow it's defaulted to making linked rather than independent copies.

Hope that helps.

Hey NIge and co

I'm a Logic user but I have used Superior drummer a lot and really love it - the thing that makes editing and 'auditioning' lots of MIDI loops for all the Toontrack stuff is EZPlayer Pro - it's well worth the 39 Euros price for the download - I know EZDrummer has its owm MIDI Loop browser but this is great if you have tons of MIDI drum loops that are drawn from all manner of MIDI drum loop packs - plus you can actually mix and match lots of different elements from different loops to create your own, anyway you might not need it but I use mine all the time:

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=27

Well, none of the solutions worked, very odd! The Split is the quickest way of doing it for me. I should have split, edited and healed to see if it added more midi notes after healing, I'll try that tonight.

Thanks so much for your help though, I'm learning fast! And it's fun and only slightly frustrating :D