Why become a member? ×

MY NEW 2011 RICKENBACKER 4003 FIREGLO

geofio

no chance stevie lol, this one is a keeper its perfection mate, just love this bass it reminds me of my first 4001 so much, the big neck and the tone is just huge from this bass , all i had to do was lower the action slightly and adjust the pickups and i was sorted. the wood on the neck is just supreme quality never seen anything like it, over the moon with it , the distributers are now including a hand made leather strap with the 4003, very nice touch to an already awesome bass. how you getting on with your jg??? cheers george

check that the bridge is fully tightened against the body of the bass even one loose screw will affect the sound of the bass, also check that your strings are seated properly in the machine heads its amazing how such a small thing can make a difference , another thing to check is that the bridge saddles are sitting straight its easy for these to be off slightly, as you know when you take the strings off the saddle housing can rock back and forth. also check the nut is ok no bits of gunk have got between the nut and the strings, another thing you can do is adjust the poles on the pickups for individual height if one string is sounding louder than another you can get a good balance that way too. last thing to do if none of those things worked would be to adjust the truss rods , i have had problems with brand new rics and i have always managed to fix them . geo

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1327939847' post='1519112']
hi sam, thanks mate, did you find the neck a bit chunkier on the new fireglo?? it reminds me of a 76 jg i had, i prefer the beefier neck, also is your fretboard the same as mine with the caribbean rosewood fretboard?? cheers george
[/quote]
Hi George

To be honest I'm not too sure about the fretboard, I'll have a closer look tomorrow and let you know.
I actually found the neck a little thinner than on the 2007 model I used to have. Probably the same nut width, but not quite as deep if that makes sense!

hi sam, thats the thing about the new 4003,s they are all individual instruments with different characteristics, i have seen other fireglo 2011 models and they have a very light coloured fret board , the fret board on my bass is very dark, i actually watched some footage on you tube it was a tour of the rickenbacker factory it was made around nov, thats when my bass was produced there was a rck full of 4003 fireglo and they all had light coloured necks, i am happy to have something unusual and it sounds great. geo

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1327954514' post='1519486']
check that the bridge is fully tightened against the body of the bass even one loose screw will affect the sound of the bass, also check that your strings are seated properly in the machine heads its amazing how such a small thing can make a difference , another thing to check is that the bridge saddles are sitting straight its easy for these to be off slightly, as you know when you take the strings off the saddle housing can rock back and forth. also check the nut is ok no bits of gunk have got between the nut and the strings, another thing you can do is adjust the poles on the pickups for individual height if one string is sounding louder than another you can get a good balance that way too. last thing to do if none of those things worked would be to adjust the truss rods , i have had problems with brand new rics and i have always managed to fix them . geo
[/quote] and tighten the tuner fixings.

• 2 weeks later...