Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orange Terror Bass - Impedence Switch

JPJ

Looking around for a lighterweight amp head for smaller gigs and rehearsals, I've been looking at the Orange Terror Bass series.

In the specs on the Orange site, it mentions an impedence switch (4/8ohms). Does this allow the the amp to put its full rated output into an 8ohm load?

Sorry for the dumb question, but if it does, this could be the answer to my prayers!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1327706201' post='1515823']

Why other manufactures don't do this is stupid.
[/quote]

Agreed! And at the price point of the Terror Bass it's obviously not an expensive thing to do! The cynic in me thinks its perhaps that other manufacturers are more interested in selling you multiple cabinets to get full power output from their amps?

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1327753118' post='1516213']
Agreed! And at the price point of the Terror Bass it's obviously not an expensive thing to do! The cynic in me thinks its perhaps that other manufacturers are more interested in selling you multiple cabinets to get full power output from their amps?
[/quote]

How do Orange achieve this? The price and weight probaly rules out a transformer so maybe an inductive load (I'm guessing that a purely resistive load would generate too much heat)? Any other ways of doing it?

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1327765381' post='1516479']
How do Orange achieve this? The price and weight probaly rules out a transformer so maybe an inductive load (I'm guessing that a purely resistive load would generate too much heat)? Any other ways of doing it?
[/quote]

From what I can remember from the block diagram the switch is near the front end of the power amp in a limiter stage so it could possibly be that the amp is actually designed to give full output into 8-ohms and they limit down for 4-ohms. I'll see if I can find my diagram.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1327766700' post='1516512']
From what I can remember from the block diagram the switch is near the front end of the power amp in a limiter stage so it could possibly be that the amp is actually designed to give full output into 8-ohms and they limit down for 4-ohms. I'll see if I can find my diagram.
[/quote]
So they're limiting the current [i]into[/i] the power stage? Interesting approach.